Windows 10: USB Hub shows up as USB Drive (empty). Safely removing SD card removes hub.

Discus and support USB Hub shows up as USB Drive (empty). Safely removing SD card removes hub. in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; Just did a fresh install of Win10. When I plugged my USB hub w/sd card slot in via usb cable, I was surprised to see a ghosted out drive sitting in My... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/deathnutz, Aug 6, 2020.

1. USB Hub shows up as USB Drive (empty). Safely removing SD card removes hub.

Just did a fresh install of Win10. When I plugged my USB hub w/sd card slot in via usb cable, I was surprised to see a ghosted out drive sitting in My Computer. Also, I'm also given a the status icon to "Safely remove Hardware and Eject Media" but when I click it, there are no devices to remove.

When I attach a thumb drive, it creates yet another drive that I can access and eject. When I attach my USB headphones, they seem ok. When I insert a sd card into the slot on the hub, it populates that ghosted out drive. HOWEVER, when when I got to eject the SD Card, the hub gets confused. I can no longer insert an SD card and in device manager I have an error for this "USB Mass Storage Device" saying that it can't be used because it has been marked for safe removal but has not been removed.

Are we not supposed to safely remove sd cards any more? ...maybe I need to eject?

Edit: Doing an eject seems to work ok for the SD card. Doing the safely remove removes SD card reader potion of the hub. The USB ports still function.

1. Is there a way to hide the drive that is "removable disk" so I don't have to see the ghosted out drive? (hide empty drives is checked, but I'm also "showing hidden files" so settings loop? ugh)
    2. Is there a way to remove the Safely Remove Hardware from the status bar, i don't like that it's always there while my hub is plugged in and even still, there is nothing to remove even if I tried.
    submitted by /u/deathnutz
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/deathnutz, Aug 6, 2020

2. USB HUB

Hi,

Incompatible USB hub driver is one of the possible reasons why this issue is happening. We recommend uninstalling the USB Root Hub driver and see if it helps. Follow the stepes below:

• Open Device Manager.
    • Double-click Universal Serial Bus controllers to expand.
    • Right-click USB Root Hub, then click Properties.
    • Go to the Driver tab.
    • Click Uninstall.
    • Restart your computer.
    Note: Restarting your computer will automatically reinstall a generic driver for your computer. Also, we suggest connecting your USB hub while performing the steps.

If the issue still persists, let's disable the USB selective suspend settings thru Power Options to resolve the issue. Follow the steps below:

• Type Power Options in the search box, then press Enter.
    • Locate USB settings > USB selective suspend settings.
    • Select Disable.

Keep us in the loop with the result.

Martin Bar, Aug 6, 2020
  3. bro67 Win User
    New USB media hub showing as removeable in Windows 10, cannot change

Nope. It is doing as it is supposed to. It will always show up as a removable device because of the changes to how Windows 10 handles USB devices. Hubs have always been “Removable”, even if they are plugged directly to the motherboard or a daughter board.

bro67, Aug 6, 2020
  4. TIGR Win User

USB Hub shows up as USB Drive (empty). Safely removing SD card removes hub.

MTT/Multi-TT USB Hubs

Does anyone know of a list of multi-TT (as opposed to a single-transaction-translator) USB 2.0 hubs?

What about USB 3.0? I'm not sure if it is a worthy consideration with USB 3.0 or not.

TIGR, Aug 6, 2020
Thema:

USB Hub shows up as USB Drive (empty). Safely removing SD card removes hub.

1. USB Hub shows up as USB Drive (empty). Safely removing SD card removes hub. - Similar Threads - USB Hub shows

2. USB HUB Help

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    USB HUB Help: Good Day,I need help regards my Lenovo Ideapad-15iby.I am using a USB Hub to maximize ports I can use. But unfortunately, Every time I plug my Power / Charge my device. It "automatically" "disable" my USB HUB and anything connected to it.I would really appreciate some Answers...
  3. USB Hub Safely Remove Device Eject Device unexpected behavior

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    USB Hub Safely Remove Device Eject Device unexpected behavior: Hello!I got a new Type - C USB Hub with 4 3.0 ports.The hub works great, but the problem is that once I try to safely remove eject one of the USB devices, all of them get disconnected. Furthermore, once I do that, I can't connect any devices again until I restart the PC. They...
  4. USB Hub

USB Hub: hey guys, yesterday I bought an external USB Hub so I can have more than 2 USB ports. when I connect it, my laptop doesn't recognize any USB or my Wireless mouse. also I know it works because when I connect my Cool-pad to it, it starts to work. what is the problem? could...
  5. Usb hub malfuntion

in Windows 10 Customization
    Usb hub malfuntion: my usb ports aren't working at all https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/usb-hub-malfuntion/aeb61bc6-be6a-4421-b8a9-cd5c32b8efd6
  6. USB hub

USB hub: was using an Amazon basics usb hub on my last computer without any issues but I bought a new laptop a few months ago and within the past week or two my usb hub started to disconnect and reconnect devices connected to it. So I recently bought a hub that has a standalone power...
  7. Safe removal of usb drive

Safe removal of usb drive: How do you safely remove usb drive from computer on Window 10? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-hardware/safe-removal-of-usb-drive/8e1ea4eb-bfe9-4e58-866a-292b3c94ac03
  8. Powered USB Hub

Powered USB Hub: Could someone wise please recommend a quality 4 port v3.0 powered USB hub with a UK mains plug PSU? I need it for keyboard, mouse, printer and Saitek X52 Pro joystick - the latter will not work unpowered with the rest. I've had a devil of a time trying to find Best Buy...
  9. USB 3.0 hub showing as 2.1

USB 3.0 hub showing as 2.1: I just added a Wavlink USB Hub, 4-Port USB 3.0 Hub, and it seems to be operating as a 2.0 hub. [img] for those that don't know, USB Device Tree Viewer's icon with an "H" is for 1.0/2.0 ports, and "S" is for 3.0 ports. Port 10 is physically the same as port 20 under...
  10. USB hub problem

USB hub problem: I bought a 7 port USB hub and when I plug a thumb drive into 1 of the ports, it seems to recognize it and will display the contents of my stored directories and files properly. Then, 5 minutes later Windows issues a message that the drive is no longer recognized. I found a...