Windows 10: USB Installer UEFI or Not?

Discus and support USB Installer UEFI or Not? in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hey guys, I'm not so organized due to my health. I have multiple Windows 10 Installers, Linux etc, and usually choose to download the iso and create my... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by FunkMaster, Sep 5, 2018.

1. USB Installer UEFI or Not?

Hey guys, I'm not so organized due to my health. I have multiple Windows 10 Installers, Linux etc, and usually choose to download the iso and create my own USB Installers, and usually label them appropriately. I have this one that I'm not sure if it was installed as UEFI, is there a way to tell without going through reinstalling it to the USB again?

Don't know if you can tell by looking at the contents but here they are:

05/22/2018 02:24 PM <DIR> boot
    05/22/2018 02:24 PM <DIR> efi
    05/22/2018 02:24 PM <DIR> sources
    05/22/2018 02:36 PM <DIR> support
    05/22/2018 02:36 PM 128 autorun.inf
    05/22/2018 02:36 PM 407,582 bootmgr
    05/22/2018 02:36 PM 1,257,376 bootmgr.efi
    05/22/2018 02:36 PM 80,648 setup.exe
    4 File(s) 1,745,734 bytes
    4 Dir(s) 12,275,924,992 bytes free

Thanks, FM

:)

FunkMaster, Sep 5, 2018

2. Install Windows 10 using UEFI bootable USB thumb drive

You need to go into you system bios and select allow uefi usb drive. Then add the UEFI usb drive to the boot menu

better way to partition aand create an bootable usb.

For the UEFI system, we can use these steps to create the bootable USB:

1.Locate a 4GB or larger USB flash drive

2.Open Diskpart and run the following command cmd admin type diskpart

• Type DiskPart in the command prompt.
    • Type "List Disk” (make note of the disk number of the target USB drive).
    • Type "Select Disk X”, where X is the target USB drive noted in step 4.
    • Type "Clean”.
    • Type "Create Partition Primary”.
    • Type "format FS=fat32 quick”.
    • Type "Active”.
    • Type "Assign".
    • Type "Exit".

Copy your ISO files to the drive and reboot

never use UEFI it better to repartition and remove UEFI go with legacy bois

bfvetscolakid, Sep 5, 2018
  3. Failing to install Server 2012 R2 via UEFI

No extra steps? Just copy everything from DVD to USB thumb drive? Seems a bit redundant but I'm working on it...

Edit: Scratch that. My USB drive is 4 GB and the ISO contents is about 4.1 GB. Am I going to need to buy a larger stick?

What "Windows 7 tool?"

FordGT90Concept, Sep 5, 2018
  4. USB Installer UEFI or Not?

Trouble installing windows 7 on RAID in UEFI

As the title says, I'm trying to install Windows on a RAID array in uefi on my Maximus V Formula. When using legacy ROM I can install just fine but I go into CSM and change settings to UEFI only, I can build the array in the UEFI Raid driver (IRST tab in "BIOS") but the array does not show up in the boot menu and when I try to install windows (boot from UEFI DVD drive), The drive does not show up in the Windows install. The next thing I tried was to enable UEFI and legacy oprom in CSM, boot from UEFI DVD drive and install to the RAID array (probably detected by legacy oprom) and it will install. After first reboot, Windows Boot manager will show up as an option in the BIOS boot menu so I set that as first boot device and reboot. I will get to the starting windows screen and then BSOD (too quick to get codes) The last thing I tried was Changing to legacy mode and installing windows to a different drive. once installed, I initialized the Raid array as GPT and rebooted, changed csm back to UEFI only but they RAID array still doesn't show in the boot device list so I repeated the earlier process hoping that It might work because I had initialized as GPT but it still BSODs on starting windows screen. Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated

mystiksinner, Sep 5, 2018
Thema:

USB Installer UEFI or Not?

1. USB Installer UEFI or Not? - Similar Threads - USB Installer UEFI

2. Bootable Windows install USB devices UEFI

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Bootable Windows install USB devices UEFI: Hi there there's definitely a problem on some older computers with UEFI boot if the iso file is > than 4.5 GB. Up to that the file system is FAT32 and computers will boot OK. If greater than that then NTFS appears to be forced and some computers won't boot . I think the...
  3. Can't boot windows install USB in UEFI mode

Can't boot windows install USB in UEFI mode: I'm trying to reinstall windows 10 on my computer. The first time I installed windows it was done in legacy mode and worked find. That was 3 years ago now. I made a bootable usb with the windows media creation tool and tried to boot it using UEFI and the ASROCK logo comes up...
  4. Unable to install windows using UEFI USB

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Unable to install windows using UEFI USB: Every time I try booting into the UEFI mode of my usb drive it gets stuck in a bootloop. I can boot into the legacy mode of my bootable media, but using an MBR partition scheme instead of GPT is out of the question, because I'm dual booting and can't survive without REFInd or...
  5. Dell UEFI USB Boot

Dell UEFI USB Boot: Hi all, Sorry if this question has been asked before. I have already gone through a number of fixes but nothing seems to be working for me so far. I have been provided with a USB with an MDT image on to re-image a number of PCs but soon realised it was formatted in NTFS due...
  6. Installing win 10 home from usb UEFI or non UEFI?

Installing win 10 home from usb UEFI or non UEFI?: I will be installing win 10 home on a new ssd drive on a new system. I've read Brink's how to on downloading and installing from a bootable usb. Should I opt for a UEFI install or non UEFI? What precautions do I take to make sure my components are compatible with UEFI? Do I...
  7. Install with UEFI or not?

Install with UEFI or not?: Hi there, I'm building a Win10 system on an Intel NUC6i3syk. I'm planning to follow Brink's tutorial to create a USB stick for installation of Win10 Home (I purchased an OEM DVD for the license.) I'm not sure about UEFI, what is it, should I use it, etc.? Is there a page...
  8. Install from USB or UEFI? Differences?

Install from USB or UEFI? Differences?: I created a bootable Windows 10 installer with the specific Microsoft tool, on an USB pendrive. Now, when I go in Bios to choose from where to boot to install Win10, I have 2 options about USB port. One is USB and the another one is UEFI....but I just have 1 installer...
  9. UEFI installation on non-UEFI system

UEFI installation on non-UEFI system: Hi there, I wanted to boot an existing Windows 10 install taken from a UEFI notebook into an older non-UEFI notebook and I only get a flashing cursor. Booted with an installation media and the automatic startup repair did not work. Browsing online I tried re-creating the...
  10. Booting USB installation media on a UEFI system.

Booting USB installation media on a UEFI system.: It might be worth it to make a sticky referencing the Windows 7 tutorial for creating USB flash installation media, specifically the part 11 about moving the EFI files around. I have been bashing my head trying to figure out why my laptop refuses to acknowledge ANY USB Media...