Windows 10: USB is showing but can't do anything. says I must insert disk

Discus and support USB is showing but can't do anything. says I must insert disk in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I have a USB drive plugged into my computer. The computer recognizes it, but that is all. When I click on the drive letter, I get the following... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by CindyKoch, Jun 1, 2020.

1. CindyKoch Win User

USB is showing but can't do anything. says I must insert disk

I have a USB drive plugged into my computer. The computer recognizes it, but that is all.
    When I click on the drive letter, I get the following message:
    "Please insert disk into USB Drive F"
    As you can see, it recognizes the drive lettered F, but won't do anything else.
    I have tried going to the Disk Manager and clicking on the F Removable Media, but the only choices I get there are as follows: "Change Drive Letter and Paths"..."Properties"... or "Help"
    Can anyone help me fix the problem so I can access the USB drive?
    I can't format it or anything.
    I would appreciate any help given.

:)

CindyKoch, Jun 1, 2020

2. Usb flash drive, please insert disk into drive error?

i updated my computer and updated windows as the hardware troubleshooter suggested and that did not work

i tried diskpart and tried going through disk management as admin it does let me pick to change as the above pics show and i have windows 10 64 bit the usb is a monster digital 16gb usb

LizBowling, Jun 1, 2020
  3. Riel Alc Win User
    please insert a disc into the usb drive

Hi,

It seems that your USB is having an issue. We suggest running Check Disk to find and repair errors in the USB drive. To do so, please follow the steps below:

• Press Windows key + X and then select Command Prompt (Admin).
    • Copy and paste chkdsk E: /f, then hit Enter.

Please use chkdsk E: command to check the integrity of your USB drive.

Note: Change "E:" to the USB drive letter you're using.

Let us know the result.

Riel Alc, Jun 1, 2020
  4. seejp Win User

external hard drive showing up in device management but not disk management

Hi,

I recently tried to use a brand new Seagate 2TB External HD, but it is not showing up. It initially showed up, but after I tried reformatting it to exFAT32, it disappeared from the disk management list.

I then tried:

• refreshing the disk management list,
    • inserting into a different USB port,
    • re-starting my computer, and
    • uninstalling the device from device manager/letting it refresh,

I still can't see it. There is no yellow error in the USB controller list.

I'm on Windows 10.

Intel i5-3317U @ 1.7GHz

Any suggestions? Thanks!

seejp, Jun 1, 2020
Thema:

1. USB is showing but can't do anything. says I must insert disk - Similar Threads - USB showing can't

2. Please Insert a disk into USB Drive D:

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Please Insert a disk into USB Drive D:: Hi although I know it states OneDrive does not support an external hard disk. I run out of space of my windows11 laptop internal hard drive and brought an external Hard Drive a couple of years ago. This has been synchronising perfectly well with my laptop ever since until...
  3. Please insert a disk in to USB Drive

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Please insert a disk in to USB Drive: Up until midday the stick was working perfectly. I did an eject, popped it in another pc, copied a file on, did an eject and now all I can get is the above message. Lots of work on it - not irreplaceable I'd rather not have to do the whole lot again. I've tried a few software...
  4. Please insert a disk into USB Drive :E

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Please insert a disk into USB Drive :E: Hello. My actual USB drive is not showing up under Devices and Drives in the File Manager. I watched fixes and it told me to go to Create and format hard disk partitions. Then, under the unallocated space that the drive has, make a new volume. When I do this, it says "The...
  5. I can't do anything

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    I can't do anything: I have downloaded the latest update few days ago, and today i suddenly my laptop restarted showing stopcode critical process died with loophole restarting When i even went in winRe and did all the possible things i was not able to do anything. Also i am not able to uninstall...
  6. I can't do anything.

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    I can't do anything.: So i just got a new pc like 3 hours ago and had the windows installed and everything. Suddenly, i am unable to open any applications. I can't open internet explorer or anything. I tried to google how to fix this problem when you can't open any applications but these solutions...
  7. I can't do anything

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    I can't do anything: I don't have a active windows key I bought it from cyberpower and they gave a key with it but it never worked so now there is just a activate windows in the bottom right corner and on top of that I don't have admin powers I am for some reason on a guest account It happened...
  8. USB Flash drive please insert a disk

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    USB Flash drive please insert a disk: Usb flash drive please insert a disk, tried different computers. Updated drivers. Changed drive letter. Uninstalled driver and reinstalled. Checked for updates. Ran troubleshooter. Please help I have a document I really need.......
  9. I can't do ANYTHING

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    I can't do ANYTHING: I logged on my laptop this morning and when I'm logged in I try to open up google chrome or spotify, but nothing works! I looked deeper into this and I tried fixing it but it didn't work. It's been around 2-3 days that I've been having this issue and I'd lile for someone...
  10. Why am I getting the USB insertion sound without inserting anything?

in Windows 10 Support
    Why am I getting the USB insertion sound without inserting anything?: Why do my PC makes sound ( the sound on Windows 10 we get when an USB device is inserted ) even when no device is inserted ? Is this because of any malware ? I have done virus scans today but found none. 59081