Windows 10: USB keyboard stops working at the login screen

Discus and support USB keyboard stops working at the login screen in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Description: My USB keyboard stops working at the login screen. None of the keys are responsive. The onscreen keyboard works fine. This happens on... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by mirzac, Oct 20, 2015.

1. mirzac Win User

USB keyboard stops working at the login screen

Description:
    My USB keyboard stops working at the login screen. None of the keys are responsive. The onscreen keyboard works fine.
    This happens on wakeup after a remote desktop session and after scheduled updates during the night.
    In both cases this happens after wakeup, which makes this tedious to reproduce.
    The keyboard starts working after unplugging the usb and plugging back or after restarting.
    I have this same issue on my work PC (HP, win 10) which makes me believe that this is a windows 10 issue.
    I have tested with three different USB keyboards.

Troubleshooting so far:
    Energy settings for USB checked (USB selective suspend setting set to disabled)

:)

mirzac, Oct 20, 2015

2. Windows 10 USB stops to work just after login

Hi,

my USB stops to work just few seconds after I login into the Windows 10. No USB devices works (headset, mouse, keyboard). It works few seconds after login and then it stops. When I lock the screen (window + l), it starts to work for few seconds and it stops
    again, after login it works for few seconds and stops again.

I have disabled USB selective suspend setting, I have disabled an option "Allow computer to turn off this device to save power". Nothing helps me to fix the issue.

Do you have any idea what the problem can be?

Tobiáš Vondráček, Oct 20, 2015
  3. USB ports aren't being powered in WIndows 10

All the USB ports on my computer have stopped working. From my observations and searching on the internet, it appears what happened is a power saving option is causing my computer to not give enough power to the USB ports, so the keyboard and mouse can't
    stay turned on.

What happens is my computer starts, the mouse and keyboard only stay on for a few seconds, but then they stop working. I load into the login screen and my mouse and keyboard aren't turned on so I can't login to my computer. The mouse and keyboard work just
    fine on the BIOS screen, and if I interrupt the boot enough times to get the automatic troubleshooter to open up my mouse and keyboard will also work there.

All the solutions I've found on the internet require me to be able to login to my account and access my desktop to open either the command panel, device manager, or some other tool. I need a way to fix this problem using just the troubleshooter and BIOS
    menu.

SEVENTEEN--17, Oct 20, 2015
  4. robgr Win User

I've started to see this issue intermittently a number of times now but I can't be sure when it was introduced
    I'm on the fast ring and it was likely either this or the previous build (can't recall the numbers & I'm at work now)
    In my case I use a wireless mouse & keyboard and re-seating the dongle/adapter fixes the issue (not ideal but I'm hoping this is fixed along way)
    IIRC it doesn't affect the mouse, which you'd perhaps expect

robgr, Oct 20, 2015
  5. make sure your laptop/ computer is not set to tablet mode in Action Centre
    As in tablet mode you use the on board keyboard

hTconeM9user, Oct 21, 2015
  6. mirzac Win User
    Both PCs are desktops, not using tablet mode.

I will try this and get back to you.

mirzac, Oct 21, 2015
  7. mirzac Win User
    I can now reproduce this bug.
    Each time a remote desktop session to a windows 10 machine is finished the USB keyboard no longer works. The usb connector has to be unplugged or the PC restarted in order for the keyboard to start working again.
    This happens for any USB keyboard or USB receiver.
    Still no fix.

mirzac, Nov 24, 2015
  8. robgr Win User

That's interesting as I do use TeamViewer although not RDP
    However, I haven't had this issue for sometime now
    Are you on the latest build 10586.14?

robgr, Nov 25, 2015
  9. mirzac Win User
    Yes, build no. 10586.14
    I do not have issues using Teamviewer, just the RDP protocol.

I'm starting to believe this is an RDP issue since a colleague had the same issue on a windows 8.1 machine.

mirzac, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. USB keyboard stops working at the login screen - Similar Threads - USB keyboard stops

2. Keyboard and On-screen not working at Windows login screen

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Keyboard and On-screen not working at Windows login screen: Hello!I have tried restarting my laptop 3 times and plugged and unplugging my USB keyboard and I sadly still cannot type. I also see my keyboard is not locked because i can press CRTL, ALT and TAB but i cannot type any letters besides that.. I am stuck in the login screen...
  3. Keyboard and On-screen not working at Windows login screen

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Keyboard and On-screen not working at Windows login screen: Hello!I have tried restarting my laptop 3 times and plugged and unplugging my USB keyboard and I sadly still cannot type. I also see my keyboard is not locked because i can press CRTL, ALT and TAB but i cannot type any letters besides that.. I am stuck in the login screen...
  4. Keyboard stopped working at windows 10 login

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    Keyboard stopped working at windows 10 login: My keyboard was working fine but suddenly one day the keyboard stopped working at windows login screen.Now every time i try to login i have to first toggle at filter keys and then type my windows login password. It is annoying need a permanent solution to this.I have already...
  5. Keyboard not working on login screen

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Keyboard not working on login screen: So I just recently got a new computer (Alienware Aurora R11) and so far until today, everything has been fine. I turned it on today though and none of the letter keys on my keyboard would function. Numbers, function keys, everything else was fine. But with no letters I wasn't...
  6. USB keyboard stopped working

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    USB keyboard stopped working: Tried new Logitech K120 and wireless without success. USB Keyboard Properties displays the following: "Windows cannot load the device driver for this hardware. The driver may be corrupted or missing. (Code 39) The instruction at 0x%p referenced memory at 0x%p. The...
  7. Keyboard not working at login screen

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    Keyboard not working at login screen: Hi. I see a lot of people are having different issues logging in. Went out last night for Christmas Eve and when we came home my son could not login to windows 10. At the login screen when we try to enter a pin nothing happened, it’s as if it’s not recognizing the keyboard at...
  8. USB keyboard stopping working

USB keyboard stopping working: Whenever I switch user, keyboard stops working. Upon logging into the second account, I can't type anything, anywhere. To switch back to my first account, I can't type in the login box, and need to use the virtual keyboard. I need to log out from both accounts to be able...
  9. USB and keyboard randomly stop working

USB and keyboard randomly stop working: power is still going to the devices, PC is still running and not frozen, disconnecting and reconnecting USB doesn't work and neither does trying another port. Only way I can use them again is by shutting down the PC with the power button. 116737
  10. USB and keyboard randomly stop working

in Windows 10 Support
    USB and keyboard randomly stop working: power is still going to the devices, PC is still running and not frozen, disconnecting and reconnecting USB doesn't work and neither does trying another port. Only way I can use them again is by shutting down the PC with the power button. 116737