Windows 10: USB keyboards become unresponsive after unplugging/plugging three times

Discus and support USB keyboards become unresponsive after unplugging/plugging three times in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I have an odd problem with my USB keyboards on my Windows 10 machine. If I unplug them and plug them back in ~three times, they become unresponsive.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by Tuesday John, Nov 12, 2018.

1. USB keyboards become unresponsive after unplugging/plugging three times

I have an odd problem with my USB keyboards on my Windows 10 machine. If I unplug them and plug them back in ~three times, they become unresponsive. The keyboards are still recognized by the machine and shows up under Devices, but won't send anything when I type on them.

If I have multiple keyboards plugged in, the problem is contained within the one I unplugged/plugged back in, at least until I unplug and plug in previously unaffected keyboard (at which point they also stop working). Once the problem shows up, any (previously not connected) keyboards I plug in are also affected. At all times, keyboards are recognized by Windows whenever they’re plugged in.

I've tried different USB ports, cables, removing items under keyboards in Device Manager to no avail. All the relevant drivers are up-to-date and power management for USB ports are disabled.

The only way to resolve it has been to reboot my machine.

:)

Tuesday John, Nov 12, 2018

2. USB keyboard disconnects when holding any button down

Hi,

Thank you for contacting Microsoft Community.

I suggest you to follow the below methods and check if it helps.

Method 1: I suggest you to try the following steps and check if it helps:

• The USB connection may be loose. Try unplugging the keyboard, and then plugging it back in.
    • Plug the keyboard into a different USB port.
    • If your keyboard is plugged into a USB hub or USB switch box, try removing it and plugging the keyboard into the computer.
    • Unplug other USB devices that are not in use.
    • Try the keyboard on another computer to verify it is working correctly

Method 2: Also I suggest you to uninstall and reinstall the usb keyboard drivers as below and check if it helps.

• Press Windows+X and go to device manager.
    • Then expand keyboards and right click on the driver.
    • Then click on uninstall and restart the computer.
    • It will be reinstalled automatically and check if it helps.

Hope this information was helpful and do let us know if you need further assistance. We will be glad to assist.

Karthicka_R, Nov 12, 2018
  3. Mouse and keyboard suddenly become unresponsive.

Hi luknforanswers,

Unresponsive mouse and keyboard could be due to outdated device drivers. Have you tried disconnecting and reconnecting the mouse or keyboard? What about using the keyboard or mouse with a different computer or connecting another keyboard or mouse to your
    computer? Here are some of the things you can try to check your hardware:

• Unplug USB cables and wait for a little while for the device driver to be unloaded by Windows, and then plug the device back in.
    • Try using a different USB port on your PC.
    • If you use a USB hub between the device and the PC, make sure the hub has power. If it’s still not working, try removing the USB hub and plugging the device directly into a USB port on the PC.
    • Make sure that the cables on your device aren't damaged in any way.
    • Check any battery-powered devices to see if they are fully charged or have fresh batteries.
    • Make sure there’s no dirt blocking keys or sensors.

Let us know how it goes.

Aileen Alf, Nov 12, 2018
  4. USB keyboards become unresponsive after unplugging/plugging three times

usb keyboard and mouse not working, unless unplug and plug it back

Hi,

I apologize for not addressing you in a timely manner. Let me help you in resolving the issue.

I suggest you to Disable and re-enable all the
    Universal Serial Bus controllers
    (USB) controllers.

The USB controllers represent the USB ports in Device Manager.

To disable and re-enable the USB controllers, follow these steps:

a) Open Device Manager.

b) Expand Universal Serial Bus controllers.

c) Note: You might have to scroll down the list to find this item.

d) Right-click the first USB controller under
    Universal Serial Bus controllers
    , and then click Uninstall to remove it.

e) Repeat the above step for each USB controller that is listed under
    Universal Serial Bus controllers.

f) Restart the computer. After the computer starts, Windows will automatically scan for hardware changes and

g) Reinstall all the USB controllers that you uninstalled.

Keep us posted on Windows related queries and we will be happy to assist you further.

Nachappa C K, Nov 12, 2018
Thema:

USB keyboards become unresponsive after unplugging/plugging three times

1. USB keyboards become unresponsive after unplugging/plugging three times - Similar Threads - USB keyboards become

2. USB Keyboard is not connecting after unplugged and plugged-in

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    USB Keyboard is not connecting after unplugged and plugged-in: Hola,No funciona correctamente el plug and play con mi telcadoNormalmente los dispositivos USB son "Plug & Play", debería conectarse si se desconecta y se enchufa, pero no fue así. El teclado funciona, así que intente reiniciar la máquina con el teclado ya conectado. En ese...
  3. Random usb plug and unplug sounds

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Random usb plug and unplug sounds: Hi, recently there have been some random usb plug/unplug sounds in my pc and when i check with usbdeview, i find this unknown usb device sometimes keeps connect then disconnect for like 5 seconds then completely disconnect. I wanna know how to fix this, ty for any help.Here...
  4. Mouse & Keyboard become unresponsive in Windows 11, then unplugging the power cable shuts...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Mouse & Keyboard become unresponsive in Windows 11, then unplugging the power cable shuts...: This issue started only after updating to windows 11. While working, sometimes, my laptop's keyboard and mouse become unresponsive. However, if I have some external mouse attached, that external mouse works fine and windows stays responsive. just that my laptop's keyboard and...
  5. Mouse & Keyboard become unresponsive in Windows 11, then unplugging the power cable shuts...

Mouse & Keyboard become unresponsive in Windows 11, then unplugging the power cable shuts...: This issue started only after updating to windows 11. While working, sometimes, my laptop's keyboard and mouse become unresponsive. However, if I have some external mouse attached, that external mouse works fine and windows stays responsive. just that my laptop's keyboard and...
  6. USB mouse stops working after unplugging and plugging back in 5 times.

USB mouse stops working after unplugging and plugging back in 5 times.: I have a need to plug and unplug my USB mouse every once in a while, but it seems that if I do it 5 times the time intervals don't matter, the device mouse stops being responsive after I plug it back in for the 6th time, and only works again if I restart my PC. I assume this...
  7. USB mouse stops working after unplugging and plugging back in 5 times.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    USB mouse stops working after unplugging and plugging back in 5 times.: I have a need to plug and unplug my USB mouse every once in a while, but it seems that if I do it 5 times the time intervals don't matter, the device mouse stops being responsive after I plug it back in for the 6th time, and only works again if I restart my PC. I assume this...
  8. USB mouse stops working after unplugging and plugging back in 5 times.

9. USB Keyboard is not connecting after unplugged and plugged-in

USB Keyboard is not connecting after unplugged and plugged-in: Hi, I am using this PC HP for 2 years with same USB keyboard Dell, suddenly yesterday the keyboard was not working, normally USB devices are "Plug & Play" it should connect if unplug and plugged-in but it didn't work so give a try to reboot the machine then keyboard...
  10. When unplug laptop, windows become unresponsive

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    When unplug laptop, windows become unresponsive: Hello! When I unplug my laptop from the power outlet, the windows become almost unresponsive. With almost I mean that that the mouse cursor disappears and all keyboard commands are performed at least 5 (and up to 30) seconds later. Interestingly, when press ctrl+alt+del all...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. Unplug USB cables and wait for a little while for the device driver to be unloaded by Windows and then plug the device back in.