Windows 10: USB keyboards only respond to Multimedia buttons after Windows SSU KB4456655

Discus and support USB keyboards only respond to Multimedia buttons after Windows SSU KB4456655 in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; My customer's Logitech Wireless and Microsoft Wired 6000 USB keyboards only respond to Multimedia buttons after Windows SSU KB4456655 was forced onto... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by IntuStrat-JTeh, Sep 15, 2018.

1. USB keyboards only respond to Multimedia buttons after Windows SSU KB4456655

My customer's Logitech Wireless and Microsoft Wired 6000 USB keyboards only respond to Multimedia buttons after Windows SSU KB4456655 was forced onto their desktop PC running Windows 10 Home 17134.285 on a superseded Intel H61BE board with Core i5 2nd Gen processor.

The letters, numbers, and Caps & Num lock keys don't respond, and they don't toggle the LED indicators.

However, the keyboards work fine in BIOS, and in Startup Repair mode.

It is likely that the Service Stack Updates (SSU's) messed up the order that system drivers were replaced & updated - which was an issue with previous Feature Updates. It is also likely that the other posts in this forum about malfunctioning peripherals & devices were caused by the errant SSU.

KB4456655 can not be uninstalled like normal updates... which means that Microsoft needs to release a Hotfix to resolve the corrupted drivers.. as they did before.

Updating & installing specific Logitech & Microsoft keyboard centre software updated the driver version numbers, but did not resolve.

Running sfc & dism checks did not resolve.

Uninstalling all other recent updates did not resolve.

Changing the motherboard to a new, post Spectre vulnerability, chipset did not resolve.

Running with hardware signed mode disabled did not resolve.

This is why I prefer to use Windows 10 Pro - so I can defer Feature Updates to 180 days, and 5+ days for Service Updates. Really sick of being (mis)treated like a lab rat force fed with broken updates.

:)

IntuStrat-JTeh, Sep 15, 2018

2. USB keyboard disconnects when holding any button down

Hi,

Thank you for contacting Microsoft Community.

I suggest you to follow the below methods and check if it helps.

Method 1: I suggest you to try the following steps and check if it helps:

• The USB connection may be loose. Try unplugging the keyboard, and then plugging it back in.
    • Plug the keyboard into a different USB port.
    • If your keyboard is plugged into a USB hub or USB switch box, try removing it and plugging the keyboard into the computer.
    • Unplug other USB devices that are not in use.
    • Try the keyboard on another computer to verify it is working correctly

Method 2: Also I suggest you to uninstall and reinstall the usb keyboard drivers as below and check if it helps.

• Press Windows+X and go to device manager.
    • Then expand keyboards and right click on the driver.
    • Then click on uninstall and restart the computer.
    • It will be reinstalled automatically and check if it helps.

Hope this information was helpful and do let us know if you need further assistance. We will be glad to assist.

Karthicka_R, Sep 15, 2018
  3. Ed_GG Win User
    Windows Major Update KB4040724 - now desktop does not respond to the USB keyboard

Just installed Major Update KB4040724 - now desktop does not respond to the USB keyboard.

At first, I had no control via both USB mouse and USB keyboard. Did some research and did the following ...

1. disconnected both mouse & keyboard...

2. used power button to power off the desktop...

3. unplugged the power cord...held down the desktop START button for 30-seconds...

4. plugged in the power cord...started the computer...

5. plugged in the wireless mouse USB "antenna"...desktop apparently reloaded the mouse driver...mouse now working.

6. plugged in the keyboard USB cord to USB outlet ... desktop reloaded the driver...

7. ...and allowed me to type about 8 letters... then stopped.

I repeated steps 1-6... no response or control with the keyboard.

I repeated steps 1-6... plugged in a different USB keyboard... no control or response from the keyboard.

Suggestions or comments appreciated. Thank you.

Edward

Moved from: Windows / Windows 10 / Performance & system failures / PC

Ed_GG, Sep 15, 2018
  4. Ed_GG Win User

USB keyboards only respond to Multimedia buttons after Windows SSU KB4456655

Windows Major Update KB4040724 - now desktop does not respond to the USB keyboard

RE: Update KB4040724

• Have you tried updating the keyboard drivers?
    This is what I did today, Oct-3-2017...

I disconnected the keyboard…went through Steps 1-6 and the Keyboard still permits me to type 7-8 letters, them behaves in a strange manner…

Example # 1 - type a single "S"….and it inserts 10-12 "S's" without holding the key down.

Example # 2 - keyboard automatically establishes "NUM LOCK" or "CAPS Lock" and will not further respond.

I repeated steps 1-6... no response or control with the keyboard. This keyboard was in use with Win-10, from March-2017 until immediately (as in 1 minute) prior to installing the
    Major Update KB4040724... then going through the required system re-boot...and immediately discovering the non-functioning same keyboard.

I repeated steps 1-6... plugged the keyboard in a different USB outlet on the desktop... desktop downloaded and installed the keyboard driver...same erratic behavior…and then received a Windows 10 error message "The USB device you just connected to
    the computer malfunctioned and Windows does not recognize it".

NEXT STEP

- I disconnected the current keyboard…went through Steps 1-6.

- and then plugged a totally different mfg & model USB Keyboard into a different USB port.
    I had used this different keyboard from Aug-2016 until March-2017 in Windows 10… without any issues.

Again…the desktop automatically downloads the required driver, and allows me to type 8-10 letters and/or digits….and freezes…unable to type letters or numbers.

New response...the keyboard is functional only on the "Windows icon" button…but does not allow me to enter letters or digits.

Q: Have you tried removing the recently installed update and check if the issue persists? Not yet ...but to encounter the identical problem on a totally different keyboard, in a different USB port, appears to be additional indications
    that the problem resides with Update KB4040724 software, rather than the hardware drivers. That is just my opinion as a consumer and not as a Windows 10 expert.

Suggestions or comments appreciated. Thank you. / Ed

Ed_GG, Sep 15, 2018
Thema:

USB keyboards only respond to Multimedia buttons after Windows SSU KB4456655

1. USB keyboards only respond to Multimedia buttons after Windows SSU KB4456655 - Similar Threads - USB keyboards respond

2. Only power button works on keyboard

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Only power button works on keyboard: Hi,I have dropped a few drops of water on my keyboard before the failure. Straight after that i cleaned the keyboard with a dry cloth. The only button working on the keyboard is the power key. The touchpad is responsive. The keyboard is permanently highlighted. Other...
  3. Only power button works on keyboard

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Only power button works on keyboard: Hi,I have dropped a few drops of water on my keyboard before the failure. Straight after that i cleaned the keyboard with a dry cloth. The only button working on the keyboard is the power key. The touchpad is responsive. The keyboard is permanently highlighted. Other...
  4. Multimedia keys not responding bug

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Multimedia keys not responding bug: Hey, my multimedia keys keep breaking play/pause/previous/next.I believe this happens when I have 2 audio sources, and I press play, then it breaks the keys and they won't respond anymore for example, having spotify and youtube video open. This has been happening for a while,...
  5. Multimedia keys not responding bug

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Multimedia keys not responding bug: Hey, my multimedia keys keep breaking play/pause/previous/next.I believe this happens when I have 2 audio sources, and I press play, then it breaks the keys and they won't respond anymore for example, having spotify and youtube video open. This has been happening for a while,...
  6. Multimedia keyboard 1.0a PS2 to USB adaptor

in Microsoft Windows 10 Store
    Multimedia keyboard 1.0a PS2 to USB adaptor: Any ideas where I can obtain a PS2 to USB male adaptor? we bought a new PC but no PS2 keyboard plug-in. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/multimedia-keyboard-10a-ps2-to-usb-adaptor/745ba450-5d95-4e16-9b41-7bbb64fccb1d"
  7. kb4456655 update

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    kb4456655 update: This update kb4456655 just installed and now my internal wifi network adapter is not recognized. And it will not allow me to remove the update or even do a system restore. So how do I get this fixed and working again? ASUS laptop Qualcomm atheros AR9485. I even tried...
  8. kb4456655 update

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    kb4456655 update: Let me start off by saying I HATE windows updates. This update kb4456655 just installed and now my internal wifi network adapter is not recognized. And it will not allow me to remove the update or even do a system restore. So how do I get this fixed and working again? ASUS...
  9. KB4456655 Servicing stack update for Windows 10 v1803 - September 11

in Windows 10 News
    KB4456655 Servicing stack update for Windows 10 v1803 - September 11: Servicing stack update for Windows 10, version 1803: September 11, 2018 Applies to: Windows 10 version 1803 Summary This update makes stability improvements for the Windows 10, version 1803 servicing stack. How to get this update Method 1: Windows Update This update...
  10. Multimedia keys on keyboard only work when player has focus

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Multimedia keys on keyboard only work when player has focus: Hello, I have a PowerDVD 16 Ultimate, installed on a Windows 10 Enterprise x64 system. I have a weird problem with the multimedia keys (Play, Stop, Fwd, Back, etc.). When PowerDVD has focus, they work as intended; however, when PowerDVD does not have focus (t.ex. if...
Tags: