Windows 10: USB memory stick random behaviour

Discus and support USB memory stick random behaviour in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I've found windows 10 is a bit random with USB memory stick. Previously under win7, some memory sticks work on the USB3 ports, some didn't, generally... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by vexorg, Oct 26, 2015.

1. vexorg Win User

USB memory stick random behaviour

I've found windows 10 is a bit random with USB memory stick. Previously under win7, some memory sticks work on the USB3 ports, some didn't, generally most worked on the USB2. Win7 was consistent with the various memory stick, same stick worked or didn't work in the USB ports.

Win 10 seems to randomly either see it as normal, not see it at all, or (my favourite) appear for 2 seconds, then disappear for 2 seconds, then appear for 2 seconds then disappear. It also behaves like this on any of the ports.

It's a good quality Gigabyte motherboard, Z77-D3H (i think), can't see the motherboard being a problem if it worked ok before.

:)

vexorg, Oct 26, 2015
  2. grschinon Win User

USB memory on a phone

It's not possible. In "mass storage" mode, the phone is a USB pen-drive. In the other modes its behaviour has nothing to do with mass storage.

If you want to extend the memory of your phone then it has to be a phone with a slot for a memory card and you have to stick a memory card in it.

grschinon, Oct 26, 2015
  3. C7-00 internal memory access issue

hi mate,

is this behaviour only exhibited while you are charging via USB, then when you take the USB cable out, it returns to normal? if so, this is normal behaviour because quite simply the computer is accessing the internal memory of the device. i am referring to
    the C: drive, not the internal memory which is E:, or external memory card, F:.

adrianhughesNSD, Oct 26, 2015
  4. badrobot Win User

You might wanna check out the Gibabyte website for Chipset drivers for Windows 10.

http://www.gigabyte.com/products/pro...px?pid=4140#dl

Since you have a dual BIOS, make sure that both are mirror each other so you have something to go back to if something goes wrong.

badrobot, Oct 26, 2015
  5. spapakons Win User
    Even better, download more recent chipset drivers directly from Intel's site.

spapakons, Oct 27, 2015
  6. vexorg Win User
    Yeah, will update the chipset drivers. I'm surprised up to dates ones aren't in windows 10, the PC is 3 years old now.

vexorg, Oct 27, 2015
  7. spapakons Win User
    Windows may have generic drivers that work in some chipsets, but not all. Installing Intel's latest drivers for the specific chipset makes it more stable and more compatible. It also takes advantage of any features the device may have that are not used in the generic driver.

spapakons, Oct 27, 2015
  8. vexorg Win User

Done a bios update, and used gigabyte's chipset drivers first, seems to be ok now. Thanks!

vexorg, Oct 27, 2015
  9. vexorg Win User
    While it seems happy with memory sticks, iPods seem to upset windows10 as iTunes manages to sync, while windows10 is floundering deciding what do do with the new device. As long as iTunes wins then all is still good.

vexorg, Oct 27, 2015
  10. spapakons Win User
    Update iTunes to the latest version. Open iTunes before you connect the iPod so Windows won't try anything while it is connected.

spapakons, Oct 27, 2015
  11. vexorg Win User
    Strange as win7 would open iTunes on any apple device being connected. Only if it was an iPhone would win7 also ask if you want to open the photos as a folder.

vexorg, Oct 28, 2015
  12. spapakons Win User
    If iTunes does not open automatically when you connect the iPod, then why not manually open it before you connect it? It is safer and faster as windows will see iTunes have already taken control of the device and won't lose any time trying some other option.

spapakons, Oct 28, 2015
  13. vexorg Win User

Yeah, will do, it was more surprise at lack of functionality compared to win7. No doubt someone will notice at some point and fix it.

vexorg, Oct 28, 2015
  14. vexorg Win User
    Still misbehaves with some iPods. Most of the time iTunes carries on regardless, sometimes it will drop out the sync. Windows 10 is convinced there is a "problem with the drive" and can pop up this half a dozen times during a sync with the explorer window opening and closing.

Might just be an iPod thing, the iPhone doesn't seem to suffer.

vexorg, Oct 29, 2015
  15. spapakons Win User
    Apple products and Windows do not always have the best compatibility. Surely a newer iTunes version will fix the problem. Just wait for it.

spapakons, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. USB memory stick random behaviour - Similar Threads - USB memory stick

2. “USB memory stick."

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    “USB memory stick.": I wanted to look into what I called, “USB memory sticks among other things and came up with the following term. “A small electronic device used to store digital data, more portable and robust than a hard drive.” Knowing nothing about them I have always bought inexpensive ones...
  3. “USB memory stick."

in Windows 10 Gaming
    “USB memory stick.": I wanted to look into what I called, “USB memory sticks among other things and came up with the following term. “A small electronic device used to store digital data, more portable and robust than a hard drive.” Knowing nothing about them I have always bought inexpensive ones...
  4. “USB memory stick."

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Failed USB memory stick

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Failed USB memory stick: Hi, I am having a problem with my USB memory stick, it says it doesn't have any storage, yet it does, and it has data on there, it's not like it's CD-ROM drive. I even have proof from a recovery attempt on a Linux VM....
  6. Failed USB memory stick

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Failed USB memory stick: Hi, I am having a problem with my USB memory stick, it says it doesn't have any storage, yet it does, and it has data on there, it's not like it's CD-ROM drive. I even have proof from a recovery attempt on a Linux VM....
  7. Strange behaviour with SanDisk USB Stick

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Strange behaviour with SanDisk USB Stick: My SanDisk usb 3.0 stick for some reason doesn't open correctly I insert it into a USB 3 port on the PC and nothing happens Using file explorer,open D: internal drive,click on explorer on left side of Window G: USB and the search engine searches D: when it ends the SanDisk...
  8. USB Memory Stick hidden

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    USB Memory Stick hidden: Hello. After I finally solved my Microsoft Store issue, I come with another one, this one is smaller. As the title says, my PC does not recognize my USB Memory Stick and I don't know why, it can be displayed as a tray icon in the taskbar, because it's plugged in, but it does...
  9. USB memory stick issues

in Windows 10 Support
    USB memory stick issues: I have a very strange problem with a Lexar 128GB USB. When I plug it into my PC (windows 10 pro) it shows up in File Explorer and I can copy files from it but I cannot write to it. The USB stick works perfectly in my laptop, ie read/write with no problem The USB port in my PC...
  10. Cloning to USB memory stick

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Cloning to USB memory stick: Partition Wizard is bootable from usb and allows the cloning of hard drives. Can I clone a ssd to USB memory stick and clone the USB back to the hard drive as a precaution against ssd failure? 117190