Windows 10: USB microphone incredibly low volume due to Win10 usb audio driver problems

Discus and support USB microphone incredibly low volume due to Win10 usb audio driver problems in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; Hi, so I've been into properties and checked the slider, so lets get that part out of the way. Basically around June after I updated and now it's... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/vanstt, Jul 29, 2020.

1. /u/vanstt Win User

USB microphone incredibly low volume due to Win10 usb audio driver problems

Hi, so I've been into properties and checked the slider, so lets get that part out of the way.

Basically around June after I updated and now it's super quiet. Even with the slider maxed(which I didn't have to do before, is a massive quality drop) it's still very low and there's really no point if it's going to sound that shit. Apparently restore does not fix it(not that I would want to use restore anyways). Reformatting apparently does not solve the issue either. I have tested the mic on another computer, it works perfectly fine on there. What I've also noticed different is whenever I plug the mic in, the sample rate sets itself to a different default which makes the pitch super low, it never changed to this sample rate before and I've never had to change it to make it sound normal again. I've also switched out the usbaudio.sys and usbaudio2.sys and still nothing. Power from my usb ports is also fine.

There's actually a closed thread with here with no fix over a 7 year span, the OP had to make another thread after 2.5 years of no resolve: https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us...-windows/6c63e3a3-e200-4c4c-997f-ebca42402b2c

There's some alternatives like downloading an equalizer, but that still lowers the quality and I don't want to have to do that. If anyone has been able to find a fix for this, let me know.

submitted by /u/vanstt
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/vanstt, Jul 29, 2020
  2. Mangasp Win User

Windows 10 USB Microphone quietness + low quality (AT2020 USB)

Hi,

There is a significant problem with the the new generation of Windows which is to do with (mostly) professional USB microphones, mine being the Audio Technica AT2020 USB Plus. The microphone input by default is far too quiet (and also slightly lower quality). This problem occurs in Windows 10, however it worked perfectly in Windows 7.

The solution, I repeat, is NOT turning up the percentage level, DB, or boosting the microphone. For someone who intends to record professional audio, this solution is effectively what "digital zoom" is in a camera, simply boosting the audio in its entirety, even though the input volume is simply not what it should actually be. This results in noise becoming louder, and many other various imperfections.

Things I have tried:

• Reinstall/update the driver. There are no drivers except the generic Windows 10 USB microphone drivers. They worked perfectly on Windows 7 but after that they were completely broken.
    • Contact the manufacturer. I contacted Audio Technica and explained how this is a call they get often, and that it is a problem with Windows. The only way they said it could be fixed is with some form of Windows update which matches the driver format of Windows 7.
    • Boost the volume. Artificially boosting the volume in any way results in quality loss and is in no way a valid solution. This works for some people, but mostly it is just hiding the problem.
    • Run the recording audio troubleshooter. All this does is check to make sure the audio services are running and that the microphone is detected. Neither of those are the source of the problem, therefore this fixes nothing. Neither will any other troubleshooter.
    • Install Windows updates. As of this post, there is no Windows update that fixes this. I've installed every update for the past 2 years and they've done nothing to address this. Unless an update has been released that specifically addresses this, installing updates will fix nothing.
    • Contact Microsoft support. This helped slightly as it gave me a few different things to do, but all of them have been in vain.
    • Run a virtual machine of Windows 7. Not only is this extremely tedious, but it simply doesn't work correctly. Even if the microphone was working in its original Windows 7 format and as far as I know, a virtual machine is simply not made to record audio at high quality. This was suggested by Microsoft Support. VM tried: VirtualBox.
    • Install previous audio codecs and drivers. I have tried to install previous audio drivers from Windows 7 onto Windows 10 with no success. This was also suggested by Microsoft support.

This was NEVER a problem in Windows 7. This problem has been on the forums of Microsoft Support for over 2 years with no clear solution.
    Name of my laptop: MSI GL62 6QD

Any, and I mean ANY help would be appreciated about solving this problem, thank you.

Mangasp, Jul 29, 2020
  3. USB Audio Codec Driver

After following all these steps, my usb audio device still does not work. In Settings > Connected devices it list USB Audio Codec Driver is unavailable.

Jerry De La Cruz, Jul 29, 2020
  4. AT_Jiren Win User

Low USB microphone recording volume (AT2020) - Windows 10

I am now using a usb microphone (Auna 900). Volume needs to be at 100 to be barely hearable.

So is there there some official statement on the current status?

Is everything ok and working as intended with the standard usb audio driver from the viewpoint of Microsoft?

Can't seem to find any recent communication from support staff, so this case is closed?

Operating System: Windows 10

Microsoft Driver Info: 28.09.2017

Driver Version: 10.0.16299.15

Standard-USB-Audio

AT_Jiren, Jul 29, 2020
Thema:

1. USB microphone incredibly low volume due to Win10 usb audio driver problems - Similar Threads - USB microphone incredibly

2. Microphone Sensitivity to low, USB headset

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Microphone Sensitivity to low, USB headset: Is there a way to separate headset volume and microphone sensitivity?USB headset when turning down the listening volume on earpiece, the master volume goes down and the microphone sensitivity also goes down.When adjusting the microphone sensitivity up it turns the master...
  3. Microphone Sensitivity to low, USB headset

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Microphone Sensitivity to low, USB headset: Is there a way to separate headset volume and microphone sensitivity?USB headset when turning down the listening volume on earpiece, the master volume goes down and the microphone sensitivity also goes down.When adjusting the microphone sensitivity up it turns the master...
  4. Microphone Sensitivity to low, USB headset

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  5. Microphone Volume Incredibly Low

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Microphone Volume Incredibly Low: I recently moved up to college, and noticed that people could no longer hear me on Discord. I have not changed any software or hardware. My microphone is now outputting incredibly low levels. It is not the physical microphone or the cable, as I tested it on another computer...
  6. Microphone Volume Incredibly Low

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Microphone Volume Incredibly Low: I recently moved up to college, and noticed that people could no longer hear me on Discord. I have not changed any software or hardware. My microphone is now outputting incredibly low levels. It is not the physical microphone or the cable, as I tested it on another computer...
  7. Microphone volume is low

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Microphone volume is low: I'm on the latest version of Win10, I have a Soundblaster Z sound card with the latest drivers, a Lenovo WMR headset and an Nvidia 1070, I think that covers all the potential audio devices on the system. Recently I found that my microphone volume was really quiet. I was...
  8. USB Microphone Volume Issue

in Windows 10 Customization
    USB Microphone Volume Issue: In my experience, Windows 10 allows internal sound cards using the headset jack TRRS port to use a microphone feature called "Boost" allows for an additional +36 db to be added to the microphone output/volume. Not sure if this is a Windows feature or a sound card feature....
  9. Problem with low volume laptop microphone.

Problem with low volume laptop microphone.: I have been having problems with low volume on my laptop microphone. I have run the troubleshooter which says it couldn't find a problem. The mic volumes and db boost are up to 100 % but my voice still barely registers. The only thing that I can find is the following...
  10. USB Microphones Low Volume/Poor Quality

USB Microphones Low Volume/Poor Quality: I have Samson, Snowball, and other USB microphones. They all sound GREAT on my older Win 7 Computer. On my high-end Win 10 computer, the volume is extremely low. I tried Equalizer APO with Peace equalizer, and they improved the volume, but the sound quality is not as good...