Windows 10: USB Microphone Permissions for desktop applications

Discus and support USB Microphone Permissions for desktop applications in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; We are having trouble getting an application to work on new Win 10 machines. This worked for many years and suddenly won't. It seems like a permissions... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by Perter, Oct 8, 2019.

1. Perter Win User

USB Microphone Permissions for desktop applications

We are having trouble getting an application to work on new Win 10 machines. This worked for many years and suddenly won't. It seems like a permissions issue but we have not found a way to add permissions for this device. I'm wondering if there was a recent change blocking this device.

It has a USB microphone, which shows up fine in device manager using its driver. It is used for measuring acoustics, not as a recording device like most microphones for speech capture.

The microphone talks to a desktop application (through a Windows Service). On existing machines, we can see it under Settings > Privacy > Microphone > Allow desktop apps to access your microphone. The application shows up here as a desktop application allowed for use.

On new Win 10 installs it will not show up here and we can not find a way in to add it to allow the desktop app permission to this USB microphone.

Note that this microphone will not show up as a 'recording device' through Sound Settings so we can not configure it through there either.

:)

Perter, Oct 8, 2019
  2. SLR722 Win User

Strange problem with USB Microphone

I recently snapped off the microphone-end of the line on my Plantronics headset, so instead of getting a whole new headset, I decided to get a Logitech USB Desktop Microphone.

I have a custom build PC that I had built last October which has a Gigabyte P35-DS3R mobo that has like 8 or 10 USB ports and runs Vista Home Prem. 64-bit. No matter which USB port I plug the mic into, and record myself using Windows Sound Recorder, I get crackling in the background.

I thought it might be the unit so I exchanged it for another and still the same thing.

Then I plugged it into a laptop running Vista Home 32-bit and it works just fine.

I thought it might be something interfering with it, like the wireless mouse or speakers or something, so I brought the laptop to the location of the desktop, and put the mic in the same environment, and it still works fine on the laptop.

I've tried leaving nothing else (USB-based) besides the mic plugged in the desktop and still get crackling.

Obviously all the other devices work just fine (wireless mouse, keyboard, mp3 cable, joystick) with the USB ports, but the mic doesn't.

Any suggestions would be appreciated, thanks!

SLR722, Oct 8, 2019
  3. Aceman.au Win User
    Sennheiser GSP 350. Microphone stops working when I open any game

Wow, ok. I think I've fixed it by accident while fiddling around.

It appears to be the Realtek audio being the issue here. I don't use my onboard sound card as my headset is a USB headset only and my speakers are plugged into an ASUS sound card.

Step by step fix:
    • I went into recording devices
    • I enabled STEREO MIX (Realtek High Definition Audio)
    • Then I set that Stereo Mix as the DEFAULT DEVICE (At this point it took over both input and output devices without my permission )
    • Then set my Sennheiser headset as default recording and playback devices in their respective windows even though they both still said they were the default devices when they weren't
    Headset microphone is currently functioning while in game now. I'll update the thread if it goes again. Should I completely disable Realtek audio??? Or will windows just force it to work again?

Aceman.au, Oct 8, 2019
  4. James057 Win User

Windows 10 USB Microphone will not find drivers on my desktop

As the title says, I just recently upgraded my work computer to windows 10 from windows 7. None of my microphones work now and are not recognized. I have a dual monitor set up that has webcams and mics on each one plus a USB microphone. Device manager
    shows a exclamation mark beside each.

Steps I've tried

• Plug the USB mic into my wife's Surface Book. It works perfectly. Therefore, it's not the microphone.
    • Plug it into every single USB slot on the computer and USB hubs, no go
    • Disabled USB 3.0 in my bios, no go
    • Run various TroubleShooters with no luck. The recording one just tells me its not plugged in.
    • Buy a new microphone and try that, no go.
    • Spent a day and half on google trying out numerous solutions, none work

I have to have a microphone since I work remote. I do not want to have to revert back to windows 7 just because I can't get a microphone to work.

It's not a fancy microphone, just a Dynex Plug and Play microphone. There are no drivers for it anywhere. I don't understand how my wife's Surface Book running windows 10 can find drivers for it but my desktop PC can't.

Between this and my Lumia 950 giving me all kinds of issues I'm just about done with windows.

[update]

Plugged in my 360 controller and hooked up the headset. The controller works, the headset doesn't.

James057, Oct 8, 2019
Thema:

1. USB Microphone Permissions for desktop applications - Similar Threads - USB Microphone Permissions

2. USB Microphone not recognized on Windows 10 desktop

in Windows 10 Gaming
    USB Microphone not recognized on Windows 10 desktop: I recently bought a ZealSound K66 Professional Studio Microphone, and upon setting it up I have run into some issues where Windows will not recognize the device. I've done some googling and dealt with some popular solutions in the device manager and settings but none of them...
  3. Give permission for application to reach my microphone on windows 7

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Give permission for application to reach my microphone on windows 7: Hello,I have windows 7 I have an application which requires a permission for using the microphone.The application sends me that I have to give him the permission, but I don't where I can give permission for applications in window 7 .Can anyone help me?!...
  4. Give permission for application to reach my microphone on windows 7

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Give permission for application to reach my microphone on windows 7: Hello,I have windows 7 I have an application which requires a permission for using the microphone.The application sends me that I have to give him the permission, but I don't where I can give permission for applications in window 7 .Can anyone help me?!...
  5. Removing / Adding microphone permissions to application

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Removing / Adding microphone permissions to application: Windows has added permission to use my microphone on a certain application but it doesn't seem to work.normally you would go to Settings>Privacy>Microphone and then disable it BUT you cant seem to click on a certain application and disable it...
  6. Removing / Adding microphone permissions to application

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Removing / Adding microphone permissions to application: Windows has added permission to use my microphone on a certain application but it doesn't seem to work.normally you would go to Settings>Privacy>Microphone and then disable it BUT you cant seem to click on a certain application and disable it...
  7. Microphone Permission Control for specific desktop apps

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Microphone Permission Control for specific desktop apps: Hello there, Under privacy Settings->Microphone you can adjusts which Microsoft Store apps can access your mic. Lower on said page it tells you which desktop apps use your microphone and allows you to activate or deactivate it generally. However i don't see any way to...
  8. USB Desktop Microphone not working

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    USB Desktop Microphone not working: So I just recently bought a desktop microphone that uses a USB plugin. I was following the instructions to set up the microphone, which said to go to the recording tab under the sound settings in the control panel. My problem is that I am unable to see the microphone. I do...
  9. Microphone Permission

Microphone Permission: How to allow microphone for my Fb Messenger?? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/microphone-permission/42e7a9d7-484a-4691-a95a-3cdbc06c59d4
  10. USB Microphone Works in Windows Sound But Not in Other Applications

USB Microphone Works in Windows Sound But Not in Other Applications: My USB mic works in windows sound (I can click listen to device and hear) but not in other applications such as Teamspeak 3, Discord and Skype. I have tried reinstalling my audio drivers and repair installing windows. I have the latest Realtek audio drivers, latest windows...