Windows 10: USB Microphones Low Volume/Poor Quality

Discus and support USB Microphones Low Volume/Poor Quality in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I have Samson, Snowball, and other USB microphones. They all sound GREAT on my older Win 7 Computer. On my high-end Win 10 computer, the volume is... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by Eric Jarvis, Dec 24, 2018.

1. USB Microphones Low Volume/Poor Quality

I have Samson, Snowball, and other USB microphones. They all sound GREAT on my older Win 7 Computer. On my high-end Win 10 computer, the volume is extremely low. I tried Equalizer APO with Peace equalizer, and they improved the volume, but the sound quality is not as good as it is on the older Win 7 machine. There's a background hiss on when using APO and Peace. Do I need to switch to an XLR mic and plug into the 3.5 mic jack? I seem to have tried EVERYTHING. In the meantime, I do all my podcast and screencasts on our older Win 7 machine.

:)

Eric Jarvis, Dec 24, 2018
  2. Mangasp Win User

Windows 10 USB Microphone quietness + low quality (AT2020 USB)

Hi,

There is a significant problem with the the new generation of Windows which is to do with (mostly) professional USB microphones, mine being the Audio Technica AT2020 USB Plus. The microphone input by default is far too quiet (and also slightly lower quality). This problem occurs in Windows 10, however it worked perfectly in Windows 7.

The solution, I repeat, is NOT turning up the percentage level, DB, or boosting the microphone. For someone who intends to record professional audio, this solution is effectively what "digital zoom" is in a camera, simply boosting the audio in its entirety, even though the input volume is simply not what it should actually be. This results in noise becoming louder, and many other various imperfections.

Things I have tried:

• Reinstall/update the driver. There are no drivers except the generic Windows 10 USB microphone drivers. They worked perfectly on Windows 7 but after that they were completely broken.
    • Contact the manufacturer. I contacted Audio Technica and explained how this is a call they get often, and that it is a problem with Windows. The only way they said it could be fixed is with some form of Windows update which matches the driver format of Windows 7.
    • Boost the volume. Artificially boosting the volume in any way results in quality loss and is in no way a valid solution. This works for some people, but mostly it is just hiding the problem.
    • Run the recording audio troubleshooter. All this does is check to make sure the audio services are running and that the microphone is detected. Neither of those are the source of the problem, therefore this fixes nothing. Neither will any other troubleshooter.
    • Install Windows updates. As of this post, there is no Windows update that fixes this. I've installed every update for the past 2 years and they've done nothing to address this. Unless an update has been released that specifically addresses this, installing updates will fix nothing.
    • Contact Microsoft support. This helped slightly as it gave me a few different things to do, but all of them have been in vain.
    • Run a virtual machine of Windows 7. Not only is this extremely tedious, but it simply doesn't work correctly. Even if the microphone was working in its original Windows 7 format and as far as I know, a virtual machine is simply not made to record audio at high quality. This was suggested by Microsoft Support. VM tried: VirtualBox.
    • Install previous audio codecs and drivers. I have tried to install previous audio drivers from Windows 7 onto Windows 10 with no success. This was also suggested by Microsoft support.

This was NEVER a problem in Windows 7. This problem has been on the forums of Microsoft Support for over 2 years with no clear solution.
    Name of my laptop: MSI GL62 6QD

Any, and I mean ANY help would be appreciated about solving this problem, thank you.

Mangasp, Dec 24, 2018
  3. Mangasp Win User
    Windows 10 USB Microphone quietness + low quality (AT2020 USB)

Just tried this. This provided no difference to the problem at all. Here are the specs if you would like them.

USB Microphones Low Volume/Poor Quality [​IMG]

Mangasp, Dec 24, 2018
  4. USB Microphones Low Volume/Poor Quality

Blue Snowball microphone with low audio quality on Windows 10.

Hi Eoin,

I realize the inconvenience you are experiencing with Windows 10. I will certainly help you.

This issue might occur if there is change microphone or audio settings.

To assist you better, please provided us the information below:

• Have you tried to check the issue by connecting with another microphone device on the computer?
    • Are you getting any error message on the computer when you use the Microphone?

I suggest you to follow the steps provided in the Microsoft Help Article about sound related issues and check if it helps.

Fix sound problems:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us...eac-4566-867a-98d2761a770d/fix-sound-problems

Please get back to us with an update on with low sound through Microphone, we will be happy to help.

Thank you.

Nyima Yonten, Dec 24, 2018
Thema:

USB Microphones Low Volume/Poor Quality

1. USB Microphones Low Volume/Poor Quality - Similar Threads - USB Microphones Low

2. Bluetooth low quality microphone

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Bluetooth low quality microphone: Hello i am using Windows 11 and the Sennheiser CX True Wireless Bluetooth HeadsetPlayback quality is ok, but i cannot use the microphone in a good quality. The recording quality is very bad not so on Android Smartphone or iPad - there ist perfectThe Recording tab on sound...
  3. Bluetooth low quality microphone

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Bluetooth low quality microphone: Hello i am using Windows 11 and the Sennheiser CX True Wireless Bluetooth HeadsetPlayback quality is ok, but i cannot use the microphone in a good quality. The recording quality is very bad not so on Android Smartphone or iPad - there ist perfectThe Recording tab on sound...
  4. Low volume of microphone

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Low volume of microphone: 2 days ago i restarted my entire pc and now i have a problem with microphone. Microphon don't even register my voice and when it does its very quiet. Can someone help?...
  5. Low volume of microphone

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Low volume of microphone: 2 days ago i restarted my entire pc and now i have a problem with microphone. Microphon don't even register my voice and when it does its very quiet. Can someone help?...
  6. Low volume in microphone

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Low volume in microphone: I was using a desktop mic but went to use it, and there was no input received. There seems to be a lot of sound input device options and when I chose the pink front 3.5mm socket, I was able to get some audio input received, but the volume was low. I'm currently using the...
  7. Microphone volume is low

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Microphone volume is low: I'm on the latest version of Win10, I have a Soundblaster Z sound card with the latest drivers, a Lenovo WMR headset and an Nvidia 1070, I think that covers all the potential audio devices on the system. Recently I found that my microphone volume was really quiet. I was...
  8. Low Microphone volume

Low Microphone volume: Hey I had a problem where my whole headset was not getting detected, I uninstalled Realtek Audio Driver from Programs and features now it has detected the headset, but my microphone volume is very low, I maxed out the levels and boost and still it doesn't change anything can...
  9. Poor microphone quality

Poor microphone quality: My laptop automatically performed a system update on June 4, 2020. Ever since, my microphone quality, as reported by others, is very poor. This issue occurs for both the integrated microphone in my laptop as well as for the microphone in an external headset. I am using...
  10. Windows 10 USB Microphone quietness + low quality (AT2020 USB)

Windows 10 USB Microphone quietness + low quality (AT2020 USB): Hi, There is a significant problem with the the new generation of Windows which is to do with (mostly) professional USB microphones, mine being the Audio Technica AT2020 USB Plus. The microphone input by default is far too quiet (and also slightly lower quality). This...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. poor quality audio using Blue Snowball and OBS