Windows 10: USB Mouse & Keyboard sometimes stop responding following Win10 Update Attempt

Discus and support USB Mouse & Keyboard sometimes stop responding following Win10 Update Attempt in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I have been post poning my Windows 10 update as in my experience, I like to leave things as they are when everything is working. Windows 10 has... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by NeilD323, Jan 26, 2021.

1. NeilD323 Win User

USB Mouse & Keyboard sometimes stop responding following Win10 Update Attempt

I have been post poning my Windows 10 update as in my experience, I like to leave things as they are when everything is working.

Windows 10 has started to force me to update it as it won't let me shut down the computer without updating before shut down. It doesn't update, as I get a message saying it needs to undo the update and restart after attempting to update. This happens twice untill I'm able to run windows normally.

I'm unsure if it's related to this problem, but since this has been happening, my USB keyboard and mouse stop responding suddenly on ocassions. When I try different USB ports it has no effect, even trying a different mouse - the cursor is frozen and the USB sound sample keeps pinging as if its being disconnected and re-connected without me touching them.

Has anyone else experienced a fault like this? As I say, the only thing which has changed recently is that Windows 10 has been attempting to update.

Many thanks, Neil

:)

NeilD323, Jan 26, 2021
  2. Ed_GG Win User

Windows Major Update KB4040724 - now desktop does not respond to the USB keyboard

Just installed Major Update KB4040724 - now desktop does not respond to the USB keyboard.

At first, I had no control via both USB mouse and USB keyboard. Did some research and did the following ...

1. disconnected both mouse & keyboard...

2. used power button to power off the desktop...

3. unplugged the power cord...held down the desktop START button for 30-seconds...

4. plugged in the power cord...started the computer...

5. plugged in the wireless mouse USB "antenna"...desktop apparently reloaded the mouse driver...mouse now working.

6. plugged in the keyboard USB cord to USB outlet ... desktop reloaded the driver...

7. ...and allowed me to type about 8 letters... then stopped.

I repeated steps 1-6... no response or control with the keyboard.

I repeated steps 1-6... plugged in a different USB keyboard... no control or response from the keyboard.

Suggestions or comments appreciated. Thank you.

Edward

Moved from: Windows / Windows 10 / Performance & system failures / PC

Ed_GG, Jan 26, 2021
  3. usb mouse not responding

Hi Lance,

It can be a faulty driver that is causing your mouse and headphone not to work. However, we need to gather more information for us to provide the best solution to your computer. Kindly answer the following questions:

• Have you made any changes prior to the issue?
    • Is your mouse and headphones working on another computer?

We suggest that you visit the links below for troubleshooting steps for your mouse and headphones.

Looking forward to your reply.

Robelene Win, Jan 26, 2021
  4. USB Mouse & Keyboard sometimes stop responding following Win10 Update Attempt

keyboard and optical mouse usb

Hi,

To assist you better, answer the below question.

• Are you getting any message when you connect the USB Keyboard and Mouse?

I suggest you to connect the USB Keyboard and Mouse to a different USB port and check if it works.

Also, plug your USB Keyboard and Mouse to a different system and check if it works.

I suggest you try below method and check if it helps.

Hardware and devices troubleshooter

Windows 10 has a built-in troubleshooter to check and fix issues with hardware and devices. I would suggest you to run this troubleshooter to check if the issue is with your mouse.

• Press Windows key +X, select Control panel.
    • Change the view by option on the top right to Large icons.
    • Click on troubleshooting and click on the view all option on the left panel.
    • Run the Hardware and devices troubleshooter.

I suggest you to refer to the following Microsoft article on
    Troubleshooting: Keyboards and check if it helps.

https://www.microsoft.com/hardware/en-us/help/support/troubleshooting/keyboard/common-issues

Please get back to us with an update on this issue, we will be happy to assist you further.

Thank you.

Karthicka_R, Jan 26, 2021
Thema:

USB Mouse & Keyboard sometimes stop responding following Win10 Update Attempt

1. USB Mouse & Keyboard sometimes stop responding following Win10 Update Attempt - Similar Threads - USB Mouse Keyboard

2. Keyboard stops responding

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Keyboard stops responding: Hi,I have recently bought an HP desktop with Windows 11 version 21H2. Although I have set both the Display and the Computer power options to never switch off, the keyboard stops working after a couple of hours but the mouse keeps working OK. The PC then has to be rebooted to...
  3. Keyboard stops responding

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Keyboard stops responding: Hi,I have recently bought an HP desktop with Windows 11 version 21H2. Although I have set both the Display and the Computer power options to never switch off, the keyboard stops working after a couple of hours but the mouse keeps working OK. The PC then has to be rebooted to...
  4. Windows stops responding sometimes.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows stops responding sometimes.: Hello.I have had issues for a while on both Windows 10 and 11 where suddenly the system goes gradually more unresponsive until it freezes completely. When it starts I will notice for example a website not loading or a Youtube video stops to make some examples. If I then try...
  5. Windows stops responding sometimes.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows stops responding sometimes.: Hello.I have had issues for a while on both Windows 10 and 11 where suddenly the system goes gradually more unresponsive until it freezes completely. When it starts I will notice for example a website not loading or a Youtube video stops to make some examples. If I then try...
  6. Mouse stutters and won't respond sometimes.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Mouse stutters and won't respond sometimes.: I've been using a Logitech M510 with my computer since I built it in 2018. Recently, it has started stuttering and just being a general POS. Thinking it was a problem with the mouse drivers and that Logitech was ignoring the problem, I purchased a tecknet wireless mouse and...
  7. My keyboard and mouse stopped responding.

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    My keyboard and mouse stopped responding.: What is the procedure to get my keyboard and mouse to work again? I did something yesterday that I shouldn't have, and now I can't use either the keyboard or the mouse....
  8. Computer sometimes does not respond to mouse

Computer sometimes does not respond to mouse: The computer sometimes does not respond to mouse. Any ideas? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/computer-sometimes-does-not-respond-to-mouse/d3112302-8cb9-43aa-bb5f-57888ec1917d
  9. USB Mouse and Keyboard intermittently not responding; Windows 10

USB Mouse and Keyboard intermittently not responding; Windows 10: Over the last few months (actually TBH the mouse started near the beginning of the year but it's been most notable during the last few months), both mouse and keyboard (specifically Razer Naga Hex v2 and Blackwidow Ultimate) have been intermittently failing to respond, albeit...
  10. Mouse and keyboard stop responding at random times

Mouse and keyboard stop responding at random times: At any time my mouse and keyboard stop working but everything keep on running fine but if i'm playing games at that point, the last key registered will continue to work and the numlock led keep on despite i tried to turn off. last update i did was Cumulative update for...