Windows 10: USB non-functional after initial Win 10 boot

Discus and support USB non-functional after initial Win 10 boot in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I have been wrestling with this problem for the last month. I have: Asus Sabertooth 990FX Motherboard (v1.0) 16 GB RAM EVGA NVidia GT 1030 Video... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by glen.fine, Oct 19, 2019.

1. glen.fine Win User

USB non-functional after initial Win 10 boot

I have been wrestling with this problem for the last month. I have:

Asus Sabertooth 990FX Motherboard (v1.0)

16 GB RAM

EVGA NVidia GT 1030 Video card.

1 TB SSD (Crucial)

1 TB WD hard drive

Originally this box was running Win 7 Ultimate. When I first tried to upgrade to Win 10 (1903), it would install but then, on boot, throw an exception, reset itself, throw the exception again, and then do the same two more times, and then revert itself back to Win 7 Ultimate.

Then I upgraded the video (original was Nvidia GT520), added RAM (from 8 GB to 16 GB), and a decided to use a SSD drive (cloning the Win7 to it). The cloning was perfect. It had the same Win 7 image the hard drive before it had. Win 10 (1903) installed and there were no more exceptions on boot, but then all the USB (v2 & v3) ports are non-functional.

They are functional when the BIOS boots, but the second Win 10 boots I see the light go out on the USB mouse and even the USB keyboard no longer responds. It is as if the rudimentary USB driver disables the USB hub(s) on the motherboard. Since USB is non-functional I can not select my name or 'NEXT'.

To repeat, I have USB function in WIN 7 and with the BIOS on boot. This is a Win 10 initial boot problem, and I do not know of any way to install drivers (if I need to) at this phase of the install.

Anyone else have this problem and solve it?

TIA

G

:)

glen.fine, Oct 19, 2019

2. Windows 10 USB boot

Hi there, am not a windows 10 expert. I have a pc in the bedroom on windows 10, I messed up the bootloader trying to fix the xp on that system.

System wont boot, trying to repair via win 10 usb installer.

Downloaded the media creation tool to install windows 10 installer on usb stick. Not compatible with a host of usb sticks I have. Tried the usb sticks that others use, but I think they use rufus; as the media creation tool by win 10 does not detect the usb stick.

So quick question, the win10 machine i am trying to repair the bootloader is a win7 upgraded to win10.
    If i were to use the usb win10 installer to "repair installation" does the version of the iso downloaded via the media creation tool matter?

There is three options:
    Windows 10
    Windows 10 Home
    Windows 10 N

Also is there a step by step instead of using rufus as I want to try an alternative method of creating a usb win 10 installer. Preferably with more compatibility.

System is a asus sabertooth 990 (r2?) with AMD phenom X 6.

Also is there any other software I can load onto the usb that can repair the bootloader easily?
    That would be the ideal alternative. Thanks

TRUELOVE95, Oct 19, 2019
  3. D-rock Win User
    Help with USB Boot Image

I am trying to boot from my USB flash drive. I followed the instructions step for step that are in the article on this website. I downloaded the HP program and the USB Image zip file. I ran the HP flash program and pointed it to the folder where I unzipped the USB Image files to. I then copied all the files over to the USB memory stick as instructed. When I restart my computer and press F12 to go to the boot menu I have 3 options: SATA hard drive, CD-ROM drive, or USB Device. So I choose USB device and when it reads the USB memory stick all I get is the error "Non-system disk, replace and hit any key" Its like the USB memory is missing some system files or it doesnt have the master boot record or something. Somebody please HELP!!! I want to flash the bios in a new video card and I have to boot to DOS and I dont have a floppy drive and I have Win XP so a USB boot is probably the best option I have.

D-rock, Oct 19, 2019
  4. USB non-functional after initial Win 10 boot

Unknown USB Device (Port Reset Failed) - ASUS Xonar U7

Thank you for your reply.

The first steps you suggested, uninstalling all USB devices and restarting, has crashed my HDD and had rendered the machine non-bootable. Because this is a desktop with a USB keyboard and a USB mouse, I had to go through Remote Assistance on another machine
    to remove all the devices, leaving just the category heading. The machine now passes POST and attempts to start Windows, but does not succeed. I only get as far as the initial background screen with the clock in the lower left corner. I can not get to the
    login screen.

Booting to a recovery DVD is possible and the mouse and keyboard are functioning in the win pe environment. I can see folder structures and files on the HDD, so it is still functioning, just not booting.

Suggestions???

AudioRestore, Oct 19, 2019
Thema:

USB non-functional after initial Win 10 boot

1. USB non-functional after initial Win 10 boot - Similar Threads - USB non functional

2. Non functioning microphone

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Non functioning microphone: microphone is not working. video recording is working without audio. * Moved from Community Center https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/non-functioning-microphone/b60c63ed-8832-4a9a-9fde-8da4c83a72cf
  3. System re-set to fix non-functional USB Ports

System re-set to fix non-functional USB Ports: Hi all,My USB ports and a SSD card drive stopped working when jump drives/SD card is inserted. I get the message that the drive not recognized and give the format the drive option. These devices work on the other computers, so devices are fine. I do not think that there is a...
  4. Win 10 Usb UEFI Boot Problem

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Win 10 Usb UEFI Boot Problem: Hello, first of all I never experience this problem in my life. This is the first time and I tried a lot of things but still doesn't work. Let me explain my stiation here. I created Windows 10 USB installer with Windows Creation Tool. Then I restart my computer, click the...
  5. Non functioning of "settings" after Windows 10 update

in Windows 10 Customization
    Non functioning of "settings" after Windows 10 update: After installing the latest update of Windows 10, 'Settings" in my HP 430 laptop is not responding. Please suggest remedial measure to be adopted to solve this problem. Since settings is not responding, I am not in a position to try trouble shooting, restoring to previous...
  6. Non Functioning webcam

Non Functioning webcam: I have a Packard Bell TJ64 laptop which I bought in 2010. When I try to open the webcam it gives the error code 0xA00F4244camera not attached. It is not listed in the Device Manager. According to the Program List it is a Chicory version 1.7.82.1209. The Chicory website...
  7. Win 10 and Edge Sync settings non-functional

Win 10 and Edge Sync settings non-functional: On a fresh installed system, I am having problems getting Win10 and Edge to sync with my other PCs. I first became aware of the problem when I observed that Edge favorites were not syncing. Hadn't yet with this install in fact. I checked to make sure the proper setting was...
  8. Troubleshooter non-functional

Troubleshooter non-functional: I just tried to run my troubleshooter, however says try again later. This is the first time I have ever seen this. Please advise https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/troubleshooter-non-functional/8756885e-989a-46f3-87b5-9c8170ef89dc
  9. AutoPlay non-functional in Win 10 Pro

AutoPlay non-functional in Win 10 Pro: Windows 10 PRO. AutoPlay isn't working in Windows 10. The SETTINGS|DEVICES menu has it turned ON. In Control Panel, it's turned on and configured to PLAY a CD. It's not disabled in the Group Policy editor. Neither of the two optical drives (a CD and DVD) will auto play...
  10. computer non-functional after download of 10

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    computer non-functional after download of 10: After downloading windows 10 on my refurbished HP computer, there is a start page but when the password page comes up there is just an eye like symbol and nothing happens when I enter my password and click enter or click on the eye. Now the computer is useless. Also the...