Windows 10: usb not assigning a com port

Discus and support usb not assigning a com port in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; my usb device needs a com port how do i manually assign one... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by davidhorner3, Oct 21, 2018.

1. usb not assigning a com port

my usb device needs a com port how do i manually assign one

:)

davidhorner3, Oct 21, 2018

2. Assigned USB Ports?

You do not need to assign USB ports and there are no "correct" or "incorrect" USB ports.

It might be useful for you to explain what exactly you mean with "I moved my mouse port to the back of the PC". Could it be that you plugged your mouse into a USB socket at the back of the PC? If so, are the sockets at the back of the PC connected to anything
    on the motherboard?

Frederik Long, Oct 21, 2018
  3. spapakons Win User
    USB Port Oddities

Ok, let's see it with pictures step-by-step. First right-click on the USB device and select Update driver software:

usb not assigning a com port [​IMG]

Then select Browse my computer for driver software (LAST option) :

The select Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer (LAST option) :

Then select the standard driver from the list and click next:

Click next/OK as required to complete installation. Repeat the steps for all Intel USB devices. Finally click on each USB root device and press DEL to delete it, reply YES when asked. After deleting all USB root devices restart the computer.

I hope this is detailed enough...

spapakons, Oct 21, 2018
  4. usb not assigning a com port

Assigned USB Ports?

I have a computer a friend gave me, and he has assigned USB ports to different items (i'm presuming)

I have 2 USB slots on the front of my computer, and 1 is for my mouse, one is for my headset, I recently got a controller, (Wanting to try it out, So I moved my mouse port the the back of the computer (Because the cables longer) and I noticed, the Mouse
    or controller didn't work, at first i thought it was installing items, then after 20 minutes it still wasn't working, the lights were on but nothing worked, but as soon as i put the USB ports in the correct slots, they work again.

There's nothing wrong with the USB Slots, everything works perfectly fine.

I'm on windows 10

Can anyone help with Assigning USB ports, or if there is something wrong internally Could I please have help.

I'm not very good with the technical side of computer so, sorry if this is a very simple thing usb not assigning a com port :)

Thanks Again

CharleeDenslow, Oct 21, 2018
Thema:

usb not assigning a com port

1. usb not assigning a com port - Similar Threads - usb assigning com

2. Windows 11 USB COM port

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 11 USB COM port: Running Windows 11 which performed an update yesterday. I'm using USB devices having an FTDI chip. Windows no longer assigns a COM port and says there is no driver. I've re-installed the driver directly from FTDI but the problem remains. I've tried several physical ports,...
  3. usb com port problem

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    usb com port problem: I am trying to use my win10 laptop to connect via USB to an Arduino UNO clone which has a CH340 chip. When I try to load the CH340 driver the installer reports "The drive is successfully pre-installed in advance". When the clone is connected to USB it should then show up in...
  4. Com Port Re-Assignment necessary?

Com Port Re-Assignment necessary?: Our PC is connected to two instruments via old fashioned COM Ports. So far they had been assigned COM Port 1 and 2. After our last Windows-Update Win 10 we foung to our astonishment that these instruments were no longer connected or available. Upon inspection we found...
  5. Access Denied on USB Com Ports

Access Denied on USB Com Ports: I am trying to use the Adruino IDE to program an Arduino UNO single board computer. This communicates via the COM port on the USB of my Windows 10 Computer. When connected, the IDE recognizes the board and can see which COM Port it is using. It can even download the UNO...
  6. COM Port emulation on USB Port

COM Port emulation on USB Port: I am trying to hook a device to my computer so that I can program it. In order to do this I need a COM Port... Since NO COM Ports are created in Windows 10 how do I map a COM Port onto a USB Port... I have read a previous post and followed it to the letter... However when...
  7. USB COM Port Issues

USB COM Port Issues: On start-up, my only connected USB devices to my laptop are a mouse/keyboard and a hub. The laptop functions perfectly and Device Manager is fine. I have 2 additional USB devices that need to be connected: A: which is a Arduino UNO and B: which is a USB/TTL UART adapter....
  8. USB COM Port mess

USB COM Port mess: I had an Arduino UNO happily connected to my COM3 port via a USB hub. Last week, I needed to install a FTDI USB-UART adapter and had problems with its drivers. Eventually I got it going. Now here's the problem- whenever I plug in my Arduino, Windows thinks its the USB-UART...
  9. Assign Com to USB

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Assign Com to USB: Hello, I have the following problem. I have to determine the COM for a dongle, but I can not find out on which COM that is. I did not get it out with a try, and in Device Manager I have no option where I can see the COM. How can I find out on which COM my dongle is? Hope...
  10. Assign Com to USB

in Windows 10 Support
    Assign Com to USB: Hello, I have the following problem. I have to determine the COM for a dongle, but I can not find out on which COM that is. I did not get it out with a try, and in Device Manager I have no option where I can see the COM. How can I find out on which COM my dongle is? Hope...