Windows 10: USB not working after formatting to NTFS?

Discus and support USB not working after formatting to NTFS? in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I formatted my USB to NTFS with windows and canceled it mid way, now when ever i plugin the device and try to open it i get this: [ATTACH]... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by josefpa, Sep 12, 2020.

1. josefpa Win User

USB not working after formatting to NTFS?

I formatted my USB to NTFS with windows and canceled it mid way,

now when ever i plugin the device and try to open it i get this:

USB not working after formatting to NTFS? 0ea5c681-af1f-4a6c-b122-a2b4cc5621ce?upload=true.png

:)

josefpa, Sep 12, 2020
  2. Fernandz Win User

How To Format A Write Protected Flash Memory ?

¿You already tried this one?...

Run CMD

1. diskpart
    2. list disk

Then in the 3º step, put the correct number of disk in the list for the usb flash (if it's listed in disk 3, then you'll have to write select disk 3).

2. select disk #
    3. clean
    4. create partition primary
    5. select partition 1
    6. active
    7. format fs=fat32
    8. assign
    9. exit

with that commands you will format the flash drive in fat32, if you have a large drive you can select also "format fs=ntfs" in step 7.

good luck!

Fernandz, Sep 12, 2020
  3. commonone Win User
    Can't format USB 32GB drive in NTFS format

Having read several threads of how to Format a USB drive into NTFS format.

I have 32GB stick and tried several methods to do this without success.

Tried

• changing the properties of the 'policy' of the drive in device manager
    • changing to 'default allocation unit size' in formatting
    • changing from 'quick format'
    • running as Admin with CMD Prompt and with ('drive letter': /fs:ntfs) this says cannot format a raw drive ??
    Yet no problems in formatting as Fat32.

Any other tips

commonone, Sep 12, 2020
  4. USB not working after formatting to NTFS?

USB media formatting recquirerments, FAT32 or NTFS?

Hi,

It doesn't matter if it is FAT32 or NTFS, it depends on the user preference.

For more information about FAT32, and NTFS, kindly check the details below:

NT File System (NTFS):

• NTFS is the modern file system Windows likes to use by default. When you install Windows, it formats your system drive with the NTFS file system.
    • It works with all versions of Windows, but read-only with Mac by default, and may be read-only by default with some Linux distributions. Other devices—with the exception of Microsoft’s Xbox One—probably won’t support NTFS.

FAT32:

• FAT32 is the oldest of the three file systems available to Windows. It was introduced all the way back in Windows 95 to replace the older FAT16 file system used in MS-DOS and Windows 3.
    • Works with all versions of Windows, Mac, Linux, game consoles, and practically anything with a USB port.

Let us know if you have any other questions.

Regards.

Robelene Win, Sep 12, 2020
Thema:

USB not working after formatting to NTFS?

1. USB not working after formatting to NTFS? - Similar Threads - USB working formatting

2. I am unable to format my USB 3.0 to NTFS

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    I am unable to format my USB 3.0 to NTFS: When I attempt to format my USB 3.0 to NTFS, it disconnects itself and says it cannot format, but when I format it to exFAT I don't get the error can someone please help me with this?...
  3. NTFS FORMAT

in Windows 10 Gaming
    NTFS FORMAT: Hello.I have two san disk usb sticks.One is extreme x64 3.0 purchase year 2009 and ultra de luxe 256 GB2020.For my ultra the default format was exfat but i changed it to NTFS.For older model i don't remember if i change it but is also in NTFS nowsan disk told me that the...
  4. NTFS FORMAT

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    NTFS FORMAT: Hello.I have two san disk usb sticks.One is extreme x64 3.0 purchase year 2009 and ultra de luxe 256 GB2020.For my ultra the default format was exfat but i changed it to NTFS.For older model i don't remember if i change it but is also in NTFS nowsan disk told me that the...
  5. Unable to format USB Flash Drive as NTFS!

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Unable to format USB Flash Drive as NTFS!: Hi, I had a 5GB file which I wanted to copy in my flash drive. But my drive was formatted in FAT32 system, so I tried to format it as NTFS. But from then it shows that Windows was unable to complete the format. I tried formatting using different computers and even...
  6. What to format larger USB sticks with? NTFS? exFAT?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    What to format larger USB sticks with? NTFS? exFAT?: I bought a few 32GB sticks the other day. They came formatted with FAT32. Immediately I had trouble copying the Win10 20H2 ISO to it (greater than 4GB). Formatting to NTFS solved it of course. But I'm curious if, for use as a general USB stick (plugging it into Windows,...
  7. USB not being formatted to NTFS

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    USB not being formatted to NTFS: I have a Samsung Bar 8gb USB which doesn't format to NTFS file system in explorer it says windows unable to format, diskpart successes but when I try to replug in it says the disk structure is corrupted. What have I tried: Formatting in windows explorer (failed) Formatting...
  8. How to format a USB drive to an NTFS File System

in Windows 10 News
    How to format a USB drive to an NTFS File System: [ATTACH]The chances are that at one point or the other everyone has tried to […] This article How to format a USB drive to an NTFS File System first appeared on TheWindowsClub.com. read more...
  9. Can't format USB drive in NTFS format

Can't format USB drive in NTFS format: I have a sandisk 128gig flashdrive its in exFAT, every time i try to re format it into NTFS format it gives me an error pop up saying "windows was unable to complete the format" i need it for the extra storage space, hope anyone knows the solution. please get back to me....
  10. USB drive can't be formatted to NTFS just FAT32

USB drive can't be formatted to NTFS just FAT32: Hello everyone I have been having this issue for about a day now, I'am trying to format my Kingston Traveler USB drive to NTFS, but in a few seconds windows will report that (Windows was unable to complete the formatting) What is this issue? Why can't I reformat it to NTFS?...