Windows 10: USB performance issue with Thunberbolt port.

Discus and support USB performance issue with Thunberbolt port. in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; USB device when connected to a thunderbolt port, we can see a difference in the behaviour compared to a regular type-c or USB port. USB IN transfers... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by ArunPappan, Sep 28, 2020.

1. USB performance issue with Thunberbolt port.

USB device when connected to a thunderbolt port, we can see a difference in the behaviour compared to a regular type-c or USB port.

USB IN transfers Host reads and sends ACK back to device are happening in bursts. Each burst is about 8 1024 bytes transfer. The last packet in the burst will have EoB set to 1 indicates the end of burst.

The difference here is, on a regular Type-C/USB3 port, the ACK response from the host happens very fast less than 2.5us. However on a thunderbolt port, the ACK for the last packet with EoB set is acknowledged very late about 80us delay. This is, in fact, a violation of tHostAckResponse timer in the USB spec. Also, this is causing a performance issue as the device cannot start next transfer even when the next burst is ready as ACK for the previous packet is not received.

USB performance issue with Thunberbolt port. c0a6ef35-fb5b-4541-8cd3-c61bc80e2879?upload=true.png

:)

ArunPappan, Sep 28, 2020

2. Issue with USB ports turning off

Hi Mattx1,

Thank you for posting your question in the Microsoft Community.

1. Does the issue occur with all the USB devices plugged in to the PC?
    2. Does the issue occur when you plug in the USB device to any of the UISB port on the PC?
    3. Did you make any changes to the PC prior to this issue?

Let us try these steps one by one to check if that makes any difference.

Step 1: Suggest you to run the Hardware and Devices Troubleshooter and check if that helps.

1. From the Settings screen, choose Update & Security.
    2. Select Troubleshoot. Look for Hardware and Devices Troubleshooter and run it.
    3. Follow the on-screen direction to complete the process and if required please apply the fix it.
    4. Once it is done, please reboot the computer and check the status.

Step 2: Suggest you to uninstall and reinstall the USB drivers on the PC to check if that helps.

1. Press ‘Windows + R’ keys, type ‘devmgmt.msc’ in run window and press Enter.
    2. In Device Manager, expand "Universal Serial Bus Controllers".
    3. Right click a device under "Universal Serial Bus Controllers" and click uninstall.
    4. Perform same step for other devices. When completed, restart the computer.
    All USB controllers will reinstall automatically.

Article for Reference.

Automatically diagnose and fix Windows USB problems:
    https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/17614/automatically-diagnose-and-fix-windows-usb-problems

Hope this helps.

Let us know if you got the help you needed by clicking ‘Yes’ or ‘No’.

Regards,

Srimadhwa B

Microsoft Community-Moderator

Srimadhwa_B, Sep 28, 2020
  3. spapakons Win User
    USB Port Oddities

Ok, let's see it with pictures step-by-step. First right-click on the USB device and select Update driver software:

USB performance issue with Thunberbolt port. [​IMG]

Then select Browse my computer for driver software (LAST option) :

The select Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer (LAST option) :

Then select the standard driver from the list and click next:

Click next/OK as required to complete installation. Repeat the steps for all Intel USB devices. Finally click on each USB root device and press DEL to delete it, reply YES when asked. After deleting all USB root devices restart the computer.

I hope this is detailed enough...

spapakons, Sep 28, 2020
  4. Mark Ole Win User

USB performance issue with Thunberbolt port.

USB ports

Hi Frank,

Inserting and removing a USB device repeatedly may cause the USB port to stop responding. When the port is in this state, it no longer recognizes any USB device, and the USB device will not work.

Here are few things that you can do to resolve the issue:

Use Device Manager to scan for hardware changes. After your computer scans for hardware changes, it might recognize the USB device that is connected to the USB port so that you can use the device.

To scan for hardware changes, follow these steps:

• Click Start, and then click Run.

Note If you are running Windows Vista, click Start, and then use the Start Search box.
    • Type devmgmt.msc, and then click OK. Device Manager opens.
    • In Device Manager, click your computer so that it is highlighted.
    • Click Action, and then click Scan for hardware changes.
    • Check the USB device to see whether it is working.

Turn off Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power.

• In the Device Manager dialog box, expand Universal Serial Bus controllers, right-click USB Root Hub, and then click Properties.
    • In the USB Root Hub Properties dialog box, click the Power Management tab. Uncheck the
      Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power
      box.

Let us know how it goes after performing the suggested troubleshooting steps.

Mark Ole, Sep 28, 2020
Thema:

USB performance issue with Thunberbolt port.

1. USB performance issue with Thunberbolt port. - Similar Threads - USB performance issue

2. Issues with USB ports

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Issues with USB ports: for some time, my usb mouse has been malfunctioning on my lenovo thinkpad. i'm not sure why. Then, it just stopped working. then in device manager, i saw that USB root hub 3.0 has a "!" sign on top of it's icon. I tried to uninstall it, yet it still persists. how do i fix??...
  3. Issues with USB ports

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Issues with USB ports: for some time, my usb mouse has been malfunctioning on my lenovo thinkpad. i'm not sure why. Then, it just stopped working. then in device manager, i saw that USB root hub 3.0 has a "!" sign on top of it's icon. I tried to uninstall it, yet it still persists. how do i fix??...
  4. Issues with USB ports

in Windows 10 Gaming
  5. USB port issues

in Windows 10 Gaming
    USB port issues: I just built a new pc and everything was working great including all usb ports. Last night I tried my gaming mouse receiver plugged into the adjacent front usb 3 port that my office mouse was on both logitech and it wouldn't work so I tried swapping the usb receivers and...
  6. USB port issues

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    USB port issues: I just built a new pc and everything was working great including all usb ports. Last night I tried my gaming mouse receiver plugged into the adjacent front usb 3 port that my office mouse was on both logitech and it wouldn't work so I tried swapping the usb receivers and...
  7. USB port issues

8. Issues with usb port

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Issues with usb port: it keeps saying that is is not recognized and i cant figure out if its cuz of the software or if its a physical problem in the computer, send help https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/issues-with-usb-port/f9a2b8bc-7b05-49c0-9ff4-c7bf39a7ef4c
  9. Issues with usb port

Issues with usb port: it keeps saying that is is not recognized and i cant figure out if its cuz of the software or if its a physical problem in the computer, send help https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/issues-with-usb-port/f9a2b8bc-7b05-49c0-9ff4-c7bf39a7ef4c
  10. USB port issue. Not working

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    USB port issue. Not working: Hi, after the last update my USB Port not working. Help https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/usb-port-issue-not-working/350a3806-038a-483d-8841-8e7b0ad256b3