Windows 10: USB Port Control

Discus and support USB Port Control in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; Hi, I'm currently working on a system which needs to be capable of locking down the PC's USB ports, while allowing access to only some designated... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by Jacob.101, Nov 19, 2020.

1. Jacob.101 Win User

USB Port Control

Hi, I'm currently working on a system which needs to be capable of locking down the PC's USB ports, while allowing access to only some designated devices. Is it possible to do this, other than to adjust group policy for removable storage devices?

Thanks in advance!

:)

Jacob.101, Nov 19, 2020
  2. spapakons Win User

USB Port Oddities

Ok, let's see it with pictures step-by-step. First right-click on the USB device and select Update driver software:

USB Port Control [​IMG]

Then select Browse my computer for driver software (LAST option) :

USB Port Control [​IMG]

The select Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer (LAST option) :

USB Port Control [​IMG]

Then select the standard driver from the list and click next:

USB Port Control [​IMG]

Click next/OK as required to complete installation. Repeat the steps for all Intel USB devices. Finally click on each USB root device and press DEL to delete it, reply YES when asked. After deleting all USB root devices restart the computer.

I hope this is detailed enough...

spapakons, Nov 19, 2020
  3. Mark Ole Win User
    USB ports

Hi Frank,

Inserting and removing a USB device repeatedly may cause the USB port to stop responding. When the port is in this state, it no longer recognizes any USB device, and the USB device will not work.

Here are few things that you can do to resolve the issue:

Use Device Manager to scan for hardware changes. After your computer scans for hardware changes, it might recognize the USB device that is connected to the USB port so that you can use the device.

To scan for hardware changes, follow these steps:

• Click Start, and then click Run.

Note If you are running Windows Vista, click Start, and then use the Start Search box.
    • Type devmgmt.msc, and then click OK. Device Manager opens.
    • In Device Manager, click your computer so that it is highlighted.
    • Click Action, and then click Scan for hardware changes.
    • Check the USB device to see whether it is working.

Turn off Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power.

• In the Device Manager dialog box, expand Universal Serial Bus controllers, right-click USB Root Hub, and then click Properties.
    • In the USB Root Hub Properties dialog box, click the Power Management tab. Uncheck the
      Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power
      box.

Let us know how it goes after performing the suggested troubleshooting steps.

Mark Ole, Nov 19, 2020
  4. Pavan_N Win User

USB Port Control

USB port mlfuncions

Hi,

Thank you for posting your response.

What is the make and model of your computer?

Follow the steps below and check if that helps.

I suggest you to Update USB Controllers.

To update the USB Controllers from Device Manager follow these steps.

• Go to Device manager in control panel.
    • Select Device manager and a Device Manager window will pop-up.
    • Double Click on USB Controllers to expand.
    • Right click on the USB Controllers that is listed and select Update.

Also refer:

• What if a wired device isn't installed properly?
    http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-8/what-device-isnt-installed-properly

(Note: steps in the above article applies to Windows 10 as well)

If the issue still persists uninstall and reinstall USB drivers from manufacturer website.

Hope this information is helpful. Please get back to us with the information required, if you need further assistance, we’ll be glad to assist you.

Pavan_N, Nov 19, 2020
Thema:

USB Port Control

1. USB Port Control - Similar Threads - USB Port Control

2. USB Serial Port driver clash in Serial controllers

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    USB Serial Port driver clash in Serial controllers: my FTDI driver for usb serial converter creates a COM port but when i install a different driver for my casio CESG in serial controllers the COM port becomes hidden, and message with this hardware device is not connected to the computer. Code 45 I had this working once too!...
  3. USB Serial Port driver clash in Serial controllers

in Windows 10 Gaming
    USB Serial Port driver clash in Serial controllers: my FTDI driver for usb serial converter creates a COM port but when i install a different driver for my casio CESG in serial controllers the COM port becomes hidden, and message with this hardware device is not connected to the computer. Code 45 I had this working once too!...
  4. USB Serial Port driver clash in Serial controllers

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Intel USB controller based USB ports transfer speed abnormal

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Intel USB controller based USB ports transfer speed abnormal: I know it's sound like an Intel hardware or software driver related topic, but since this issue only occurred in Windows 11, and the USB extensible host controller driver is provided by Microsoft according to device's property information in Windows Device Manager, I guess...
  6. Intel USB controller based USB ports transfer speed abnormal

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Intel USB controller based USB ports transfer speed abnormal: I know it's sound like an Intel hardware or software driver related topic, but since this issue only occurred in Windows 11, and the USB extensible host controller driver is provided by Microsoft according to device's property information in Windows Device Manager, I guess...
  7. USB ports not detecting Controllers and Android Phone

USB ports not detecting Controllers and Android Phone: Good afternoon and Merry Christmas ! I've just built my very own PC a few days ago and everything seem to be working just fine except for a few parts. I wanted to plug in my switch pro controller to the computer but nothing happened : The PC didn't make the famous sound...
  8. USB ports

USB ports: Hi, how do you guys manage, I dont have enough USB 3.1/3.0 ports on my motherboard, Would a USB hub (Powered) solve my problem? Thank you 158777
  9. USB PORTS

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    USB PORTS: after installing the latest updates I cant able use my ports i don't why, and I updated all the usb drivers https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/usb-ports/7acecb8d-d1c5-45f0-89ed-61642cae8471
  10. USB ports

USB ports: When I plug in my power cord to my laptop it is saying "the usb port you just installed is not working." I'm not plugging in to a usb port so I don't know why it is saying this and why it will not work now with the power cord plugged in....