Windows 10: USB Port Fails When I Hang Up The Phone - Betch'a Never Heard Of This One...

Discus and support USB Port Fails When I Hang Up The Phone - Betch'a Never Heard Of This One... in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I swear this is a true story and a repeatable scenario. I help a friend of mine with his business computers for a small family owned business. I'm a... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by Joel.Brown333, Oct 7, 2019.

1. USB Port Fails When I Hang Up The Phone - Betch'a Never Heard Of This One...

I swear this is a true story and a repeatable scenario.

I help a friend of mine with his business computers for a small family owned business. I'm a retired computer engineer and even worked at Microsoft for 10 years.

My friend tells me his keyboard stops working when he hangs his house phone up. At first I thought he was yanking my chain because his computer is not connected to the phone in any way except he has a cable T.V., Internet, Phone bundle to his house.

We could repeat the problem every time by me calling his house phone, he answers, and he hangs up first. Then his computer makes a bedeebeep sound and his USB keyboard stops working. I swapped USB ports with the mouse and repeated the scenario but this time the mouse stopped working. It ONLY effects this one USB port when he hangs the phone. I repeat: the computer is NOT connected to the phone. Unplugging and plugging the device back in and it works great again.

I did a Google search on this using multiple keywords and absolutely nothing came up putting these two things together.

If anyone has ever heard of anything that might cause this it would be a great help. My solution was to buy a USB hub and use the port that's not effected by hanging up the phone to run the keyboard and mouse. This computer only has 2 USB ports.

The other thing I'm going to try is turning off USB Selected Suspend. Don't know how hanging up the phone that's not connected to the computer could cause only this 1 USB port to go into suspend mode but I'll try anything at this point.

:)

Joel.Brown333, Oct 7, 2019

2. usb port reset fail

Hi Laura,

We would like to know more information regarding the "usb port reset fail" error that you are getting. To verify whether this issue is being caused by the port or the external device, we would like to gather more information:

• What external device are you trying to connect to your computer?
    • Have you tried connecting the external device to another port or different computer?
    • Have you tried connecting a different external device to the port?
    • What troubleshooting steps have you tried so far?

Regards.

Dennis Mop, Oct 10, 2019
  3. Ruz San Win User
    USB ports failed

Hi,

To fully isolate where this problem is coming from, please answer the following:

• Have you tried connecting the peripheral devices to another computer to check if they will function?
    • How old is the laptop?

You can find additional things to try to fix USB port problems on this
    page.

We also suggest you run the Hardware and Devices Troubleshooter
    in Windows 10. Here are the steps:

• Press the Windows key on your keyboard.
    • Type Troubleshooting then press Enter.
    • On the left side, click View all.
    • Select Hardware and Devices.
    • Click Next and see if it will find any problems.

Keep us updated about the issue.

Ruz San, Oct 10, 2019
  4. spapakons Win User

USB Port Fails When I Hang Up The Phone - Betch'a Never Heard Of This One...

USB Port Oddities

Ok, let's see it with pictures step-by-step. First right-click on the USB device and select Update driver software:

USB Port Fails When I Hang Up The Phone - Betch'a Never Heard Of This One... [​IMG]

Then select Browse my computer for driver software (LAST option) :

USB Port Fails When I Hang Up The Phone - Betch'a Never Heard Of This One... [​IMG]

The select Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer (LAST option) :

Then select the standard driver from the list and click next:

Click next/OK as required to complete installation. Repeat the steps for all Intel USB devices. Finally click on each USB root device and press DEL to delete it, reply YES when asked. After deleting all USB root devices restart the computer.

I hope this is detailed enough...

spapakons, Oct 10, 2019
Thema:

USB Port Fails When I Hang Up The Phone - Betch'a Never Heard Of This One...

1. USB Port Fails When I Hang Up The Phone - Betch'a Never Heard Of This One... - Similar Threads - USB Port Fails

2. My phone connects to one of the usb ports of my pc but is unknown to other ports. Other...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    My phone connects to one of the usb ports of my pc but is unknown to other ports. Other...: My phone connects to one of the usb ports of my pc but is unknown to other ports. Other ports only charge my phone but can't transfer files....
  3. My phone connects to one of the usb ports of my pc but is unknown to other ports. Other...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    My phone connects to one of the usb ports of my pc but is unknown to other ports. Other...: My phone connects to one of the usb ports of my pc but is unknown to other ports. Other ports only charge my phone but can't transfer files....
  4. One USB port stopped working.

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    One USB port stopped working.: On my Acer Travelmate model P259-MG. operating Windows 10, I have always used the right hand USB port Black for the dongle of my wireless mouse. yesterday it was in and working, I had to leave the computer for a while and when I came back the mouse didn't work, or any usb...
  5. Only one USB port not working.

Only one USB port not working.: My HP Notebok Laptop is currently running on Windows 11 home edition which I purchased two weeks ago.There are 2 USB ports in my laptop,but only 1 port is functional while other port is only giving power.The malfunctioned port is not detecting or showing devices on MYPC,it...
  6. All USB port failed

in Windows 10 Gaming
    All USB port failed: Hello everyone, Many times when I plug devices in USB port I have noticed report from my system "this devices may work faster if you connect it to faster port... " and finally my devices was disconnected by system. This was happened with random devices like phone, many...
  7. All USB port failed

All USB port failed: Hello everyone, Many times when I plug devices in USB port I have noticed report from my system "this devices may work faster if you connect it to faster port... " and finally my devices was disconnected by system. This was happened with random devices like phone, many...
  8. one USB port not work

one USB port not work: HI i have a question,my laptop HP Pavilion dv6700 have 3 USB ports, 2 ports working graet,only one port not working,ivoltage,have the 5.12volts,but the laptop not recogniced,ichec the drivers ,I uninstall all drivers,then restart the PC,all the drivers are OK, the PC work...
  9. Phone when connected to laptop shows USB DEVICE NOT RECOGNIZED PORT RESET FAILED

Phone when connected to laptop shows USB DEVICE NOT RECOGNIZED PORT RESET FAILED: Whenever I am connecting my Redmi note 5 pro on my lenovo g50-30 laptop it shows a pop-up showing "The last USB device you connected was not recognized ". When I open my device manager it shows Port Reset Failed. I have tried to uninstall the port and reboot my laptop. It...
  10. Phone when connected to laptop shows USB DEVICE NOT RECOGNIZED PORT RESET FAILED

Phone when connected to laptop shows USB DEVICE NOT RECOGNIZED PORT RESET FAILED: Whenever I am connecting my Redmi note 5 pro on my lenovo g50-30 laptop it shows a pop-up showing "The last USB device you connected was not recognized ". When I open my device manager it shows Port Reset Failed. I have tried to uninstall the port and reboot my laptop. It...