Windows 10: USB port only recognizes external hard drive.

Discus and support USB port only recognizes external hard drive. in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; One of my usb ports only recognizes 1 external hard drive. The hard drive is powered by the usb port and works in every other port. The usb port fails... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by TxRistau, Jun 23, 2020.

1. TxRistau Win User

USB port only recognizes external hard drive.

One of my usb ports only recognizes 1 external hard drive. The hard drive is powered by the usb port and works in every other port. The usb port fails to recognize any other device I plug in The last USB device you connect malfunctioned. The port does however still charge devices. I have attempted every fix: reloading drivers, formatting and reinstalling windows, re flashing my bios, etc. This problem originally started upon trying to update windows with the external drive.

:)

TxRistau, Jun 23, 2020
  2. vallero Win User

external hard drive not recognized

Hello zbook
    #1) I have tested the external drives in three different computers, win10 pro, Win10, and XP. The results are identical. When I plug in the external hard drive windows signals a new device with an audio signal and the light comes on on the external drive. The results on all three pc's is identical in disk manager, file explorer and device manager.
    #2) I have tried all solutions presented to me by FreeBooter, from the simplest solution of uninstalling the external drive in device manager and rebooting windows, to using the various third party software that was suggested, obviously with out success.
    #3) The attached screen shots will only show one of the drives attached because I don't have enough free USB ports to attach two drives and I didn't think it would have been a good idea to use a hub.
    #4) one strange thing about one of the drives is that now device manager lists it as a Toshiba drive although it is a Western Digital.
    #5) Sorry but I have no way of getting a photo of BIOS

USB port only recognizes external hard drive. [​IMG]

I look forward to reading your comments

vallero, Jun 23, 2020
  3. External Hard Drive Not Recognized by Windows 10

Hi Thomas,

Sometimes, PCs fail to recognize the External Hard Drive even after confirming a successful connection. This is usually due to a corrupted or outdated device driver. However, for us to isolate the issue, we need additional information. Kindly answer the
    questions below:

• Have you tired to plug your external hard drive to another port or to another device to make sure that it is working properly?
    • Are you getting any error messages when you plug in your external hard drive?

In the meantime, we suggest that you run the Hardware and Device Troubleshooter. This automated tool will check the hardware/USB connected to your PC for any known issue and resolve it automatically. Refer to this link to access the troubleshooter:
    Find and fix problems with devices and hardware.

Update us on how it goes.

Jennifer Bri, Jun 23, 2020
  4. PTKK Win User

USB (all) not recognizing external drives

Up until a few hours ago my USB recognized my external hard drive. Now it doesn't. Shows up in Device manager as Other devices not a drive. Tried 2 different USB's (didn't recognize), tried a different external drive (didn't recognize), took external
    drive to another Windows 10 PC and it worked fine. I have shut down and restarted but did nothing. The USB ports work on other devices, printers, postage scale, wireless mouse fab but can't get it to recognize the drive. The usb port makes the "noise"
    when you plug/unplug it and the external drive has power from the usb. Any advice?

Thema:

1. USB port only recognizes external hard drive. - Similar Threads - USB port recognizes

2. External keyboard and mouse is not recognized by a USB port but the USB port recognizes a...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    External keyboard and mouse is not recognized by a USB port but the USB port recognizes a...: So I have this legion 5 pro laptop and as what the title says, one of the usb port at the back is not recognizing my external keyboard or mouse.It started around January and got it fixed by then. Lenovo replaced the motherboard which fixed the problem. They think it was bad...
  3. External keyboard and mouse is not recognized by a USB port but the USB port recognizes a...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    External keyboard and mouse is not recognized by a USB port but the USB port recognizes a...: So I have this legion 5 pro laptop and as what the title says, one of the usb port at the back is not recognizing my external keyboard or mouse.It started around January and got it fixed by then. Lenovo replaced the motherboard which fixed the problem. They think it was bad...
  4. Bitlocker not recognizing Seagate external USB hard drive

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Bitlocker not recognizing Seagate external USB hard drive: I am having no luck in trying to figure out why the Microsoft Windows Bitlocker Drive Encryption app will not recognize a new Seagate external USB hard drive. I have other external drives Toshiba, HP and have had no problems with them. When I bring up the Bitlocker control...
  5. External Hard drive Not recognized

External Hard drive Not recognized: The device I am trying to install is an external hard drive I purchased from thee MAC store Backup Plus Portable Drive. I have tried all three methods stated above and non of them worked for me. In particular in regards to method 3 I have downloaded and installed the...
  6. External hard drive connected by USB port

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    External hard drive connected by USB port: I have this external hard drive that has been designated as F and also a removable flash drive as E. Both use USB ports and have been working. Now the computer sees neither after rebooting twice. Tried to switch the ports and drives also. Any suggestions?...
  7. USB port will only recognize external HDD

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    USB port will only recognize external HDD: Alright, I'm struggling with this one, all of my searching only gives problems where people cannot get their external hard drive to show up, but I have the opposite problem. After plugging in an external HDD, then removing it (I "safely remove"ed it, which i think is...
  8. Front USB not recognizing my external hard drive

Front USB not recognizing my external hard drive: For some unknown reason, both of my front USB 3.0 ports stopped recognizing my WD My Passport external hard drive. What's even more bizarre is that it works when plugged into my USB port on the back of my PC. I connected a card reader to both of my front USB ports to make...
  9. external hard drive not recognized

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    external hard drive not recognized: I had storage spaces From windows 8.1 that computer went down I moved Storage spaces to another computer. windows 10 machine. Everything works. I was able to Copy those files to another drives. now I want to reuse those drives but only let me rename it not to remove. I...
  10. USB not recognizing external hard drive

USB not recognizing external hard drive: Brand new laptop does not give connecting sound when usb drive is plugged in. Drive works on older computer and usb port on new computer works with other peripherals. Restarted with drive already plugged in and there was no new hardware found. Device Manager shows no...