Windows 10: USB Port Reset Failed after disconnecting and reconnecting Thunderbolt dock

Discus and support USB Port Reset Failed after disconnecting and reconnecting Thunderbolt dock in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I have a Lenovo Thunderbolt Dock (40AN) that works fine when I boot with it attached or when I first plug it in, however when I unplug it and reconnect... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by AJ Henderson (Ahenderson), May 14, 2019.

1. USB Port Reset Failed after disconnecting and reconnecting Thunderbolt dock

I have a Lenovo Thunderbolt Dock (40AN) that works fine when I boot with it attached or when I first plug it in, however when I unplug it and reconnect it, things go very sideways. The audio I/O, USB hub and network interface in the dock all fail to reconnect and I get a USB Port Reset Failed error. Additionally, some of the memory allocations for the PCI Express Downstream Switch Port do not get recreated (specifically in the 0x74000000 - 0x8befffff range).

It seems that something is going wrong with either the cleanup or reinitialization of the drivers and some of the key drivers that are indicating failure are Microsoft provided drivers (Intel (R) USB 3.1 eXtensible Host Controller for example.) I have tried everything I can find for trying to resolve the Port Reset Failure and have not had any luck getting closer to the root cause.

Other instances of the same dock produce the same problem on the machine. Additionally, multiple machines demonstrate the same problem with the dock (though not all machines of the same type do.) The fact that there are multiple devices in the dock is severely complicating troubleshooting the precise failure. I'm pretty sure it's low level in the PCI Express switching or bridging, but can't narrow it down more specifically.

Any ideas on how to narrow it down further or what else might be contributing to the problem?

:)

AJ Henderson (Ahenderson), May 14, 2019

2. thunderbolt 3 to displayport adapter

Hi John,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

I understand that inconvenience you are facing when the things may not work as expected.

1. What is the make and model of the computer?

When the Thunderbolt 3 is used with certain eighth generation Intel processor-based Windows 10 systems, there is a possibility that the two USB 3.0 ports on the back of the dock (closest to the Ethernet port)
    may not be recognized properly by the operating system.

However, I would suggest you to follow the steps mentioned below and let us know if that helps.

1. Disconnect the pluggable Thunderbolt 3 dock from the system and remove its power cable to turn off completely.
    2. Uninstall the Intel ‘Thunderbolt Software’ present on your system via the Control Panel ->
      Programs and Features and restart the device once.
    3. Download and install the latest version of the Intel Thunderbolt Software published by your system manufacturer. If you are unable to obtain this download from your system manufacturer, you can download a version directly from Intel
      here -> https://downloadcenter.intel.com/do...-Driver-for-Intel-NUC-Kit-NUC8i7HNK-NUC8i7HVK
    4. Restart the system once again.
    5. Reconnect the power cable to the pluggable Thunderbolt 3 dock, and then reconnect the Thunderbolt 3 cable from the dock to your system.
    6. You should be prompted to authenticate/approve the dock. Follow the onscreen prompts for the completion of the process and check the status of the issue.

If the issue still persists I suggest you to get in touch with the
    Thunderbolt support for the further assistance.

Hope it helps.

Muralidhar

Microsoft Community Moderator

Muralidhar_G, May 14, 2019
  3. Microsoft Display Dock as "USB Hub"

Hello guys

I've a Microsoft Display Dock but no need to use it with my Lumia 950 - BUT: I'm searching for an USB Type C or Thunderbolt 3 Dock anyway. So hey, I could use my Microsoft Display Dock for that!

But when I plug it in, I get the message "Try improving the USB connection / DisplayPort connection might not work. Try using a different cable"

Some Facts in advance:

• Laptop is a Dell Precision 5510 with USB Type C / Thunderbolt 3
    • Windows 10 Enterprise is installed
    • I use the original cables
    • USB Ports of the Display Dock work fine
    • DisplayPort and HDMI do not work (as the error message says)

Any idea how to get it to work? Is it possible to "daisy chain" the dock?

Thanks a lot,

Manuel

Manuel Bauer, May 14, 2019
  4. btarunr Win User

USB Port Reset Failed after disconnecting and reconnecting Thunderbolt dock

OWC Announces the 13-port Thunderbolt 3 Dock for New MacBook Pro

OWC, a leading zero emissions Mac and PC technology company, today introduced the all-new Thunderbolt 3 Dock - the latest in its award-winning lineup of connectivity expansion solutions. Now available for pre-order, the Thunderbolt 3 Dock offers exceptional flexibility and connectivity with 13 ports, up to 40Gb/s of bandwidth, and the capability to power the new 2016 MacBook Pro, all in an elegant, industrial design. For anyone concerned with the limited port options on new Thunderbolt 3-equipped Macs or PCs, the Thunderbolt 3 Dock is the ideal solution for connecting a wide variety of existing and future devices including external hard drives, webcams, audio interfaces, Ultra HD displays, wired networks, and more.

"With our critically-acclaimed Thunderbolt 2 Dock and USB-C Dock, OWC defined a new standard in providing more connectivity at a time when new computers were shipping with fewer ports," said Larry O'Connor, Founder and CEO, OWC. "The all-new Thunderbolt 3 Dock is the best expansion solution we've ever made, offering the incredible speed of Thunderbolt 3 technology coupled with 13 ports of connectivity, perfect for getting the most out of the new 2016 MacBook Pro."

USB Port Reset Failed after disconnecting and reconnecting Thunderbolt dock 7bcfd51e9756_thm.jpg

USB Port Reset Failed after disconnecting and reconnecting Thunderbolt dock 5681742ed976_thm.jpg

USB Port Reset Failed after disconnecting and reconnecting Thunderbolt dock d28d663f0be3_thm.jpg

At twice the bandwidth of Thunderbolt 2, the Thunderbolt 3 Dock takes full advantage of the cutting-edge performance of Thunderbolt 3 technology with throughput up to 40Gb/s. As a result, the new Thunderbolt 3 Dock offers more ports than ever, including 13 ports of connectivity and the capability to charge mobile devices, connect multiple 4K displays, add external storage (including legacy devices like FireWire drives), import photos and videos from SD cards, access wired networks via Gigabit Ethernet, connect audio accessories, and even power the new 2016 MacBook Pro - all through a single Thunderbolt 3 cable.

Extreme Connectivity with 13 ports
    • (2) Thunderbolt 3
    • Two USB-C ports
    • Daisy chain and power up to 5 Thunderbolt 3 devices
    • (5) USB 3.0
    • Including two high-power USB Type-A ports for fast mobile device charging
    • FireWire 800
    • Gigabit Ethernet
    • mini DisplayPort
    • SD Card reader
    • Easily transfer photos and video from an SD card
    • Audio combo port
    • For headphones or microphones
    • S/PDIF digital audio
    The OWC Thunderbolt 3 Dock is currently available for pre-order at MacSales.com and other authorized resellers. Deliveries of the dock will begin in February 2017.

The OWC Thunderbolt 3 Dock is priced at $279.00 during the pre-order event. Plus, it ships with a free .5 meter Thunderbolt 3 40Gb/s USB-C cable-valued at $24.95.

btarunr, May 14, 2019
Thema:

USB Port Reset Failed after disconnecting and reconnecting Thunderbolt dock

1. USB Port Reset Failed after disconnecting and reconnecting Thunderbolt dock - Similar Threads - USB Port Reset

2. Dell Thunderbolt Dock Disconnects

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Dell Thunderbolt Dock Disconnects: I have an issue with a XPS 17 9700 DELL laptop connected to a DELL WD19TB Thunderbolt dock. I've got a few USB devices keyboard, mouse, headset, and external drive, Ethernet, and two external monitors connected to the dock. All Windows, DELL, and Intell updates are installed....
  3. Dell Thunderbolt Dock Disconnects

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Dell Thunderbolt Dock Disconnects: I have an issue with a XPS 17 9700 DELL laptop connected to a DELL WD19TB Thunderbolt dock. I've got a few USB devices keyboard, mouse, headset, and external drive, Ethernet, and two external monitors connected to the dock. All Windows, DELL, and Intell updates are installed....
  4. all usb ports disconnect and reconnect

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    all usb ports disconnect and reconnect: for some time i had a issue with my usb ports disconnecting and reconnecting at times but it has mostly been once or twice a day and some days with no issue. but yesterday a purchased a new wireless headset and now the issue has become way more frequent. whenever i start a...
  5. USB Ports disconnecting and reconnecting mouse randomly

USB Ports disconnecting and reconnecting mouse randomly: Hi! I've had a problem with my USB ports for a few weeks now. Sometimes the mouse disconnects and then reconnects randomly and then it stops working completely, I fix it by rebooting my laptop everytime it happens. This happens inside games but also while I'm browsing. The...
  6. All USB Ports disconnected / wont reconnect

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    All USB Ports disconnected / wont reconnect: This issue had appeared today on my brothers computer and I don't know how to fix this in any way possible. So all ports are fried or something even using an external usb bus wont help, nothing would connect to it. Even after restarting, nothing the mouse and keyboard are...
  7. Front USB ports keep disconnecting and reconnecting?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Front USB ports keep disconnecting and reconnecting?: As the title says, the front USBs keep disconnecting and reconnecting. It only seems to be the front ports too. I've tried troubleshooting and reinstalling drivers, yet no difference was made. Any help? submitted by /u/Squiddy_101 [link] [comments]...
  8. USB Ports disconnecting and reconnecting mouse randomly

USB Ports disconnecting and reconnecting mouse randomly: Hi! I've had a problem with my USB ports for a few weeks now. Sometimes the mouse disconnects and then reconnects randomly. This usually happens inside games but has also happened while I'm browsing. A few times both my keyboard and mouse disconnects and reconnects but...
  9. USB ports on front of case disconnecting and reconnecting

USB ports on front of case disconnecting and reconnecting: the title says it https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/usb-ports-on-front-of-case-disconnecting-and/5cbc2b98-1eef-45ce-b3eb-8cfe1c93d552
  10. USB ports reconnecting and disconnecting

USB ports reconnecting and disconnecting: USB ports reconnecting and disconnecting at random times. I built this computer and its been happening after 2 months since pc was built. I checked for updates are hardware and windows 10. Everything is up to date. Anybody have any ideas? Could it be that my power supply...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. thunderbolt dock connecting and disconnecting

2. windows audio card error thunderbold 3 port reset failed