Windows 10: USB port versions

Discus and support USB port versions in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I hope this is the correct forum for this question. I am trying to determine what versions of USB ports my computer has. This is information I've... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by CJW, Oct 31, 2020.

1. CJW
    CJW Win User

USB port versions

I hope this is the correct forum for this question.
    I am trying to determine what versions of USB ports my computer has.

This is information I've found online:
    1. Open the Device Manager.
    2. Expand Universal Serial Bus controllers to see a list of USB ports installed on the computer.
    3. If a USB port name contains Universal Host, the port is version 1.1.
    4. If the port name contains both Universal Host & Enhanced Host, the port is version 2.0.
    5. If the port name contains USB 3.0, the port is version 3.0.

Here is what my Device Manager shows:

USB port versions [​IMG]

My computer case has 2 ports on the front & 8 on the back.
    How do I know which port in Device Manager is which port on my computer's case?

:)

2. spapakons Win User

USB Port Oddities

Ok, let's see it with pictures step-by-step. First right-click on the USB device and select Update driver software:

USB port versions [​IMG]

Then select Browse my computer for driver software (LAST option) :

USB port versions [​IMG]

The select Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer (LAST option) :

USB port versions [​IMG]

Then select the standard driver from the list and click next:

USB port versions [​IMG]

Click next/OK as required to complete installation. Repeat the steps for all Intel USB devices. Finally click on each USB root device and press DEL to delete it, reply YES when asked. After deleting all USB root devices restart the computer.

I hope this is detailed enough...

spapakons, Oct 31, 2020
  3. USB Ports

Hi Homer,

We'd like to ask a few questions to help us isolate this problem.

• Have you tried connecting your device tracker to a different USB port on your computer?
    • If so, was it detected?
    • Did you receive any error messages?

To address this issue, we suggest that you follow the troubleshooting steps shared by Praveen Venogupal on this

link

Let us know how it goes.

Regards.

Vanessa Yar, Oct 31, 2020
  4. Mark Ole Win User

USB port versions

USB ports

Hi Frank,

Inserting and removing a USB device repeatedly may cause the USB port to stop responding. When the port is in this state, it no longer recognizes any USB device, and the USB device will not work.

Here are few things that you can do to resolve the issue:

Use Device Manager to scan for hardware changes. After your computer scans for hardware changes, it might recognize the USB device that is connected to the USB port so that you can use the device.

To scan for hardware changes, follow these steps:

• Click Start, and then click Run.

Note If you are running Windows Vista, click Start, and then use the Start Search box.
    • Type devmgmt.msc, and then click OK. Device Manager opens.
    • In Device Manager, click your computer so that it is highlighted.
    • Click Action, and then click Scan for hardware changes.
    • Check the USB device to see whether it is working.

Turn off Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power.

• In the Device Manager dialog box, expand Universal Serial Bus controllers, right-click USB Root Hub, and then click Properties.
    • In the USB Root Hub Properties dialog box, click the Power Management tab. Uncheck the
      Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power
      box.

Let us know how it goes after performing the suggested troubleshooting steps.

Mark Ole, Oct 31, 2020
Thema:

USB port versions

1. USB port versions - Similar Threads - USB port versions

2. USB PORTS

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    USB PORTS: Hello everyone. Like 2 months ago I tried to charge phone's battery directly from my laptop's usb port the one at the right using usb cable. I think I didn't connect correctly to the battery's terminals and so immediately after attaching the usb cable wires to the battery,...
  3. Usb port

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Usb port: Hellow, I am using windows 10 installed on lenovo ideapad in...Whenever I insert my usb pen drive the system is not detecting them even external hard drives and phones but they used to work last month the only thing working is my wireless mouse...When the pc is powered of the...
  4. Usb port

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Usb port: Hellow, I am using windows 10 installed on lenovo ideapad in...Whenever I insert my usb pen drive the system is not detecting them even external hard drives and phones but they used to work last month the only thing working is my wireless mouse...When the pc is powered of the...
  5. usb port

in Windows 10 Customization
    usb port: Do not work usb ports on PK? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/usb-port/d451957f-a7a8-4c5a-aa1c-cd041faa2cba
  6. USB Ports

USB Ports: I am using a windows 10 OS on my PC and two of my USB ports suddenly stopped detecting the flash drives when I insert it...I have tried to install the USB device drivers but it still doesn't work, kindly help me on how to fix my computer....
  7. USB ports

USB ports: Hi, how do you guys manage, I dont have enough USB 3.1/3.0 ports on my motherboard, Would a USB hub (Powered) solve my problem? Thank you 158777
  8. USB PORTS

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    USB PORTS: after installing the latest updates I cant able use my ports i don't why, and I updated all the usb drivers https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/usb-ports/7acecb8d-d1c5-45f0-89ed-61642cae8471
  9. USB ports

USB ports: When I plug in my power cord to my laptop it is saying "the usb port you just installed is not working." I'm not plugging in to a usb port so I don't know why it is saying this and why it will not work now with the power cord plugged in....
  10. USB port

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    USB port: Were do I go to get information off my USB https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/usb-port/25905bdc-c9af-4ec1-92b4-9405138d8a79