Windows 10: USB port will only recognize external HDD

Discus and support USB port will only recognize external HDD in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; Alright, I'm struggling with this one, all of my searching only gives problems where people cannot get their external hard drive to show up, but I have... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/Krypton161, Apr 30, 2020.

1. USB port will only recognize external HDD

Alright, I'm struggling with this one, all of my searching only gives problems where people cannot get their external hard drive to show up, but I have the opposite problem.

After plugging in an external HDD, then removing it (I "safely remove"ed it, which i think is probably important) the usb port that it was plugged into, will now no longer detect other devices.

If I plug my keyboard into the port, it lights up (so it gets power) but they keyboard itself doesn't work, and it doesn't show up in the device manager. Same deal with a mouse that I tried. There is also no notification sounds like you normally get when you plug in/remove a device.

But, if I plug my HDD back into the port, it works fine. I haven't tried it with other storage devices yet, in case that means something.

submitted by /u/Krypton161
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/Krypton161, Apr 30, 2020

2. Wireless Mouse stops working when external HDD plugged in to USB3 port

I have a minor but annoying problem and can't find a solution....

My wireless mouse stops working when an external USB3 HDD is plugged in to USB3 port. The mouse is about 3 feet away from the receiver.

My mouse is a Logitech M310.

• I don't have the problem if a USB 2 external HDD is connected to either a USB2 or USB3 port.
    • I have moved the mouse receiver to different ports on both the front and back of the computer but this doesn't change anything.
    • If I move the mouse very close to the receiver (a couple of inches), it works so it seems that the wireless range is reduced when the USB3 HDD is plugged in.
    • If I connect a wired mouse, it works fine.
    • I have 2 USB3 ports and the problem is the same on both.
    • If the USB3 HDD is connected to a USB2 port, the mouse works normally.
    • I changed the battery in the mouse but this didn't help.
    • the USB3 HDD is a WD Passport that is self powered through the USB port.

Any suggestions?

dsscottage, Apr 30, 2020
  3. USB port not woking in Windows 10

Hi,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

We understand your concern as you are unable to use the USB port, when you use the card reader simultaneously.
    In order to get clarity and to assist you accordingly, please reply with the answers to the questions below.

• What is the Windows 10 version and Build installed? (Type
      winver in Windows search/Run command)
    • What is the make and model of the PC?
    • Are you aware of any changes on the PC, prior to this issue?
    • Does this issue occur with all the USB port in the PC?

Meanwhile, we would suggest you to perform the steps (Exclude Method 1 & 2) as mentioned in this article:

Error: “USB Device not recognized” when
    you try to access a USB external hard drive.

Regards,

Aditya Roy

Microsoft Community – Moderator

Aditya_Roy, Apr 30, 2020
  4. USB port will only recognize external HDD

My HP Laptop USB Ports not recognizing USB or any other external device

Hi Edgar,

We want to know more about the issue you're having with your USB port not recognizing a USB flash drive or any external device. Please provide answers to the questions below:

• Can you tell us if this concern happen after an update?
    • Have you check the PC's Device Manager under Universal Series Bus, if you have a yellow exclamation point? If yes please provide a screenshot for us to have a better understanding of the issue.
    • Are the USB flash drive and external device working on a different PC?

We'll wait for your response.

Robert Caw, Apr 30, 2020
Thema:

USB port will only recognize external HDD

1. USB port will only recognize external HDD - Similar Threads - USB port recognize

2. USB PORT NOT RECOGNIZED

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    USB PORT NOT RECOGNIZED: Can any help to solve this problem related to USB port. Previously the USB cable that I connected to my laptop with my phone it was working fine . But now it is not detecting that USB, it shows yellow colour reclamation in device manager with message unknown USB detection...
  3. External keyboard and mouse is not recognized by a USB port but the USB port recognizes a...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    External keyboard and mouse is not recognized by a USB port but the USB port recognizes a...: So I have this legion 5 pro laptop and as what the title says, one of the usb port at the back is not recognizing my external keyboard or mouse.It started around January and got it fixed by then. Lenovo replaced the motherboard which fixed the problem. They think it was bad...
  4. External keyboard and mouse is not recognized by a USB port but the USB port recognizes a...

External keyboard and mouse is not recognized by a USB port but the USB port recognizes a...: So I have this legion 5 pro laptop and as what the title says, one of the usb port at the back is not recognizing my external keyboard or mouse.It started around January and got it fixed by then. Lenovo replaced the motherboard which fixed the problem. They think it was bad...
  5. Windows recognizes USB 3.0 port only as USB 2.0

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows recognizes USB 3.0 port only as USB 2.0: A few weeks ago I bought the Oculus Quest 2 and tried it wired to my computer with an USB C/USB C cable, it detected perfectly as USB 3.0 with super speed as it was suposed to be. Since then I have just used it wireless and on the last days after buying more cables, also USB...
  6. Windows recognizes USB 3.0 port only as USB 2.0

Windows recognizes USB 3.0 port only as USB 2.0: A few weeks ago I bought the Oculus Quest 2 and tried it wired to my computer with an USB C/USB C cable, it detected perfectly as USB 3.0 with super speed as it was suposed to be. Since then I have just used it wireless and on the last days after buying more cables, also USB...
  7. Windows recognizes USB 3.0 port only as USB 2.0

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  8. Samsung s2 portable 320gb external HDD recognized by only one specific usb port on my...

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Samsung s2 portable 320gb external HDD recognized by only one specific usb port on my...: Hello everyone,so as i said,i have an 11 year old external Samsung hard drive,that only gets recognized in my pc when i plug it in the right front usb port of my pc.(I am running windows 10) My desktop pc has 8 usb ports in total,2 of them being usb 3.0.The port that works...
  9. Windows can't recognize external HDD on USB-C port

Windows can't recognize external HDD on USB-C port: Hi community. My machine is Dell XPS 9560 (windows 10 2009), and it seems a problem in this model, but I hope tenforums can help me troubleshoot it. I am having an external HDD with USBC - micro-B cable. The specs document of XPS 9560 shows that the USB-C port supports...
  10. USB port only recognizes external hard drive.

USB port only recognizes external hard drive.: One of my usb ports only recognizes 1 external hard drive. The hard drive is powered by the usb port and works in every other port. The usb port fails to recognize any other device I plug in The last USB device you connect malfunctioned. The port does however still charge...