Windows 10: USB Ports Disabled After Windows Start

Discus and support USB Ports Disabled After Windows Start in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I just updated to Windows 10 Pro from Windows 7. My USB devices turn off after the Windows logo on startup. Therefore I cannot login or access... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by DragNoftheninja, Feb 24, 2020.

1. USB Ports Disabled After Windows Start

I just updated to Windows 10 Pro from Windows 7.

My USB devices turn off after the Windows logo on startup. Therefore I cannot login or access Windows with mouse and keyboard.

My hardware: mouse, keyboard, motherboard all function properly.

My mouse and keyboard work fine with BIOS and the Windows Recovery screens. ie I can choose to boot into safe mode.

The mouse and keyboard do not function in safe mode.

I just updated my BIOS and enabled legacy usb. Also I have tried both EHCI enabled and disabled as well as full USB initialization.

This leads me to believe it is a Windows driver issue. But I can find no help online changing these drivers from the recovery cmd.

Any help???

:)

DragNoftheninja, Feb 24, 2020
  2. spapakons Win User

USB Port Oddities

Ok, let's see it with pictures step-by-step. First right-click on the USB device and select Update driver software:

USB Ports Disabled After Windows Start [​IMG]

Then select Browse my computer for driver software (LAST option) :

The select Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer (LAST option) :

Then select the standard driver from the list and click next:

Click next/OK as required to complete installation. Repeat the steps for all Intel USB devices. Finally click on each USB root device and press DEL to delete it, reply YES when asked. After deleting all USB root devices restart the computer.

I hope this is detailed enough...

spapakons, Feb 24, 2020
  3. Mala_S Win User
    USB ports not working in Windows 10

Hello,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

To address your concern, kindly help us with the following questions:

1. What is the make and model of your computer?
    2. Do you see any error in the device manager when the USB is connected?

Before we troubleshoot on the issue, I would suggest you to check if the USB devices work on a different computer. If it does, kindly try the steps listed below and see if it works.

Method 1: I would suggest you to follow the steps to diagnose and repair the USB ports from the article -
    Automatically diagnose and fix Windows USB problems.

Method 2: Update USB controllers.

• Right click on the Start menu and select
      Device Manager
      from the list.
    • Narrow down to Universal Serial Bus controllers and update all the USB drivers.
    • To update the drivers, right click on the each driver and select
      Update driver
    • If that doesn't resolve the issue, I would suggest you to uninstall all the USB drivers from the Device Manager.
    • Restart the computer. After the computer starts, Windows will automatically scan for hardware changes and reinstall all the USB root hubs that you uninstalled.

Method 3: Disable Selective Suspend feature.

• Right click the Windows icon on the taskbar and choose ‘Power Options’. Click
      ‘Change Plan Setting’ on your current plan.
    • Choose ‘Change Advanced Power Setting’ on the chosen plan.
    • Disable ‘USB Selective Suspend Setting’ under
      ‘USB Settings’

If the issue persists, identify if the USB drive is listed in Disk Management. To do that,

• Right-click on Windows icon and select Disk management and find if the USB drive shows up there.

Regards,

Mala S

Microsoft Community - Moderator

Mala_S, Feb 24, 2020
  4. Mark Ole Win User

USB Ports Disabled After Windows Start

USB ports

Hi Frank,

Inserting and removing a USB device repeatedly may cause the USB port to stop responding. When the port is in this state, it no longer recognizes any USB device, and the USB device will not work.

Here are few things that you can do to resolve the issue:

Use Device Manager to scan for hardware changes. After your computer scans for hardware changes, it might recognize the USB device that is connected to the USB port so that you can use the device.

To scan for hardware changes, follow these steps:

• Click Start, and then click Run.

Note If you are running Windows Vista, click Start, and then use the Start Search box.
    • Type devmgmt.msc, and then click OK. Device Manager opens.
    • In Device Manager, click your computer so that it is highlighted.
    • Click Action, and then click Scan for hardware changes.
    • Check the USB device to see whether it is working.

Turn off Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power.

• In the Device Manager dialog box, expand Universal Serial Bus controllers, right-click USB Root Hub, and then click Properties.
    • In the USB Root Hub Properties dialog box, click the Power Management tab. Uncheck the
      Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power
      box.

Let us know how it goes after performing the suggested troubleshooting steps.

Mark Ole, Feb 24, 2020
Thema:

USB Ports Disabled After Windows Start

1. USB Ports Disabled After Windows Start - Similar Threads - USB Ports Disabled

2. USB ports and bluetooth disabled

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    USB ports and bluetooth disabled: 2 days ago, my laptop experienced blue screen. After rebooting it, the USB ports and bluetooth function has been disabled.Both of these options also can't be found in device manager. I've clicked 'show hidden devices', yet both of them still can't be found.Following are the...
  3. Disabling USB ports Windows 11

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Disabling USB ports Windows 11: Hello, is possible to disable USB ports while is user log out and automatically enable it after log in? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/disabling-usb-ports-windows-11/41c67c53-c53f-4f3e-a2a5-5a6291583a28
  4. Disabling USB ports Windows 11

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Disabling USB ports Windows 11: Hello, is possible to disable USB ports while is user log out and automatically enable it after log in? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/disabling-usb-ports-windows-11/41c67c53-c53f-4f3e-a2a5-5a6291583a28
  5. DISABLE USB PORT

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    DISABLE USB PORT: HI, I FOOLISHLY DISABLED USB PORT OPTION FROM BIOS NOW NEITHER KEYBOARD NOR MOUSE IS WORKING PLEASE HELP ME https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/disable-usb-port/0ed72132-5610-414c-b7cf-ed6add623b1c
  6. USB Ports Disabled After Windows Start, Refuse to Reset Windows.

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    USB Ports Disabled After Windows Start, Refuse to Reset Windows.: We have a windows PC at home that just recently stoped working, After the Windows Logo all usb ports are disabled and don't work at all. Anywhere else like in the firmware settings or Windows startup repair. We don't want to reset windows due to having programs and tools that...
  7. Disable a USB Port

Disable a USB Port: Im having a hughe problem with a USB Port on my laptop I accidently rmoved a small blsck piece from the USB Port and now windows its showing an annoying icon and playing a sound that notification is making my computer stop working specially youtube, it pauses the video how...
  8. Windows 10 disabling USB Ports

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows 10 disabling USB Ports: After a recent update I have a problem with Windows 10 starting up. When Windows boots up the screen shows the time and date and background scene. At this point I would normally hit ENTER or click the mouse to bring up the PIN entry screen but all of the USB ports and so my...
  9. USB ports disabled after windows update

USB ports disabled after windows update: I ran a windows update last night and now today none of my usb devices work the mouse is lit up but does not actually do anything. Any help would be appreciated as my computer is usuable at the moment....
  10. Update disabled USB Ports.

Update disabled USB Ports.: Windows 10 USB 3.0 Ports got Disabled after a recent failed update try. KB3081438 which downloads, but fails to install [HERE] The ports are powered since i can connect my mobile to the 'disabled' ports and yet charge the device but cannot do any data transfer. But the...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. usb ports not enabaling in startup but working after restart

2. windows 10 startup usb disables

3. usb disabled after windows logo

4. usb headers on motherboard stopped working after windows update