Windows 10: USB ports do not work

Discus and support USB ports do not work in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; On my Dell laptop, there are three ports, one of which is broken, which I can tell by looking at. One day, I launched up my computer, plugged my mouse... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by Ulexx, Mar 28, 2019.

1. Ulexx Win User

USB ports do not work

On my Dell laptop, there are three ports, one of which is broken, which I can tell by looking at. One day, I launched up my computer, plugged my mouse into one of the ports that were working, and it didn't work. Now, whenever I plug in any device to any of these ports, it gets no input. For the 3.0 port, it gives some sort of output, because the mouse lit up when I plugged it in, unlike the other one. For a bit before this, I kept on getting a "Power surge on USB port" warning before they stopped working. Now I only occasionally get one. I tried searching for a solution, but every solution I got didn't work. The devices I plugged in work fine on other devices I plug them in to. If anybody has a possible solution for this issue, that would be greatly appreciated.

:)

Ulexx, Mar 28, 2019
  2. spapakons Win User

USB Port Oddities

Ok, let's see it with pictures step-by-step. First right-click on the USB device and select Update driver software:

USB ports do not work [​IMG]

Then select Browse my computer for driver software (LAST option) :

The select Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer (LAST option) :

Then select the standard driver from the list and click next:

Click next/OK as required to complete installation. Repeat the steps for all Intel USB devices. Finally click on each USB root device and press DEL to delete it, reply YES when asked. After deleting all USB root devices restart the computer.

I hope this is detailed enough...

spapakons, Mar 28, 2019
  3. non working USB ports

Hi,

In order for us to better assist you, please provide the following information:

• What happens when you try to connect a device?
    • Are you receiving any error messages?
    • Did you make any changes to the computer prior to this issue?
    We suggest you to click this
    link
    , check the post of Azaruddin Syed and follow the steps provided to troubleshoot USB ports.

Let us know how it goes. Thank you.

Reymichael Ros, Mar 28, 2019
  4. jjtyler Win User

USB ports do not work

USB port not working

I have an HP Pavilion dv6604nr laptop. I have 3 USB ports, 2 located on the left side and one located on the right side near the power supply port. For some reason, one of the USB ports on the left hand side will not recognize anything that is plugged
    into it. I have done all the steps and suggestions that is posted on this site, and still can't get it to work. The message I get is "The last USB device that was connected has malfunctioned and Windows does not recognize it." It shows in the Device Manager
    as Unknown USB Device(Port Reset Failed). When I have a USB device plugged into the non-working port, it shows up in the Devices and Printers folder, but the device does not work. I am at my wits end. Can anyone help me or suggest any other things to try?
    Oh, I am running Windows 10 pro.

jjtyler, Mar 28, 2019
Thema:

USB ports do not work

1. USB ports do not work - Similar Threads - USB ports

2. Does Microsoft Modern USB speaker not work through a USB hub? I'm out of ports to connect...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Does Microsoft Modern USB speaker not work through a USB hub? I'm out of ports to connect...: Does Microsoft Modern USB speaker not work through a USB hub? I'm out of ports to connect directly! https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/does-microsoft-modern-usb-speaker-not-work-through/50c68238-d958-4db5-8532-228d7bf5807f
  3. Does Microsoft Modern USB speaker not work through a USB hub? I'm out of ports to connect...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Does Microsoft Modern USB speaker not work through a USB hub? I'm out of ports to connect...: Does Microsoft Modern USB speaker not work through a USB hub? I'm out of ports to connect directly! https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/does-microsoft-modern-usb-speaker-not-work-through/50c68238-d958-4db5-8532-228d7bf5807f
  4. Does Microsoft Modern USB speaker not work through a USB hub? I'm out of ports to connect...

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  5. How to NOT make a USB port supply power during startup?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to NOT make a USB port supply power during startup?: Hello Everyone,Please how do I ensure that, at startup, the USB ports either individual or all of them do not supply power until startup is complete?...
  6. How to NOT make a USB port supply power during startup?

How to NOT make a USB port supply power during startup?: Hello Everyone,Please how do I ensure that, at startup, the USB ports either individual or all of them do not supply power until startup is complete?...
  7. How to NOT make a USB port supply power during startup?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  8. When ever I connect my External hard disc via USB port this error pops up and automatically...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    When ever I connect my External hard disc via USB port this error pops up and automatically...: I have tried the following steps1- close , restart and reconnect2- SFC /scannow approach3- dism/online/clean-image/restorehealth approach4- chkdsk /f approachNothing works so far. Can you kindly help me out.Thank you very much....
  9. When ever I connect my External hard disc via USB port this error pops up and automatically...

When ever I connect my External hard disc via USB port this error pops up and automatically...: I have tried the following steps1- close , restart and reconnect2- SFC /scannow approach3- dism/online/clean-image/restorehealth approach4- chkdsk /f approachNothing works so far. Can you kindly help me out.Thank you very much....
  10. USB Ports Not Recognizing Device

in Windows 10 Gaming
    USB Ports Not Recognizing Device: This machine has 4 USB ports, but none of them are recognizing any devices being plugged into the machine. Not sure what other information may be necessary, but I am here in front of the machine ready to answer any questions that I can. Thank you....