Windows 10: USB ports not working and computer takes several minutes to shut down before blue screening

Discus and support USB ports not working and computer takes several minutes to shut down before blue screening in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Lately, when I’ve been turning my computer on again after previously using it for a while the usb ports just cease to function. Sometimes my mouse... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by Brian Alimo, Jun 15, 2020.

1. USB ports not working and computer takes several minutes to shut down before blue screening

Lately, when I’ve been turning my computer on again after previously using it for a while the usb ports just cease to function. Sometimes my mouse works and the keyboards and other usb devices dont, and sometimes none of them work. When i go to device manager to scan for hardware changes, it gets stuck on the searching for hardware screen. I turned the view on to see hidden devices and it shows the ports but they are greyed out and not working. When i try to windows update, it gets stuck searching and never states that i already am up to date or am missing an update. In general a bunch of windows functions stop working along with my usb ports. My only temporary fix is to shut down, and when i shut down it takes several minutes to do so, until it finally blue screens and reboots, and all the ports are magically back to normal when windows boots back up again. I at first thought it was a motherboard issue, but all of the usb ports and devices work fine when I go into bios and not boot into windows right away, so i assume it is a windows issue. Ive tried many things, like uninstalling the usb host controller and rebooting, but it didn’t work. Any solution would be greatly appreciated!

Here are the specs: Windows 10 Professional, Intel Core i5-8600K 3.6 GHz 6-Core Processor, MSI Z370 GAMING PLUS ATX LGA1151 Motherboard, GeIL SUPER LUCE RGB SYNC 32 GB 4 x 8 GB DDR4-3000 CL16 Memory, EVGA BQ 650 W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply, EVGA GeForce GTX 1060 6GB 6 GB SC GAMING Video Card, Kingston Savage 240 GB 2.5" Solid State Drive - this is the drive housing my windows

:)

Brian Alimo, Jun 15, 2020

2. USB ports fail, then blue screen of death on three Windows 10 computers -- Can this be fixed or is this caused by a virus?

Hi Grace,

It's possible that certain drivers, such as USB and other device drivers are causing blue screen errors on your PC. Another factor is due to a conflicting third-party software. Now, before we get into the solution, were you able to boot your computer normally
    or can it boot to the desktop screen? If yes, then we suggest that you run the
    Hardware diagnostic tool
    on your PC. Just type troubleshooter on the
    Search box, press Enter, then look for
    Hardware and Devices
    , and click Run the troubleshooter.

If the troubleshooter didn't resolve the port issue, then might as well you update the USB driver, and the BIOS firmware of your computer.

In addition to that, if you're still getting a blue/black screen error after performing the recommended steps, then we suggest that refer to the troubleshooting steps from these articles:

Let us know the outcome.

Marque Lor, Jun 15, 2020
  3. Grace444 Win User
    USB ports fail, then blue screen of death on three Windows 10 computers -- Can this be fixed or is this caused by a virus?

Marque:

"were you to able to your computer normally or can it boot to the desktop screen?" No. All that displays upon (re)booting are blue screen messages. Because of this, we cannot perform the tasks you listed such as troubleshooting
    blue screen errors. No error number appears. I do have several jpg's of the various blue screens that display (I described them in my first message). Let me know if it would be helpful for me to attach one or more. Thanks.

Grace444, Jun 15, 2020
  4. spapakons Win User

USB ports not working and computer takes several minutes to shut down before blue screening

USB Port Oddities

Ok, let's see it with pictures step-by-step. First right-click on the USB device and select Update driver software:

USB ports not working and computer takes several minutes to shut down before blue screening [​IMG]

Then select Browse my computer for driver software (LAST option) :

USB ports not working and computer takes several minutes to shut down before blue screening [​IMG]

The select Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer (LAST option) :

Then select the standard driver from the list and click next:

Click next/OK as required to complete installation. Repeat the steps for all Intel USB devices. Finally click on each USB root device and press DEL to delete it, reply YES when asked. After deleting all USB root devices restart the computer.

I hope this is detailed enough...

spapakons, Jun 15, 2020
Thema:

USB ports not working and computer takes several minutes to shut down before blue screening

1. USB ports not working and computer takes several minutes to shut down before blue screening - Similar Threads - USB ports working

2. Problem with "This might take several minutes" blue screen

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Problem with "This might take several minutes" blue screen: Hey all, I got am HP laptop several weeks ago. For some odd reason, without warning, it will occasionally have a blue screen up with the caption "This may take several minutes. Please Don't Turn Off."Is there any way to stop this from happening? Twice it has happened during...
  3. Problem with "This might take several minutes" blue screen

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Problem with "This might take several minutes" blue screen: Hey all, I got am HP laptop several weeks ago. For some odd reason, without warning, it will occasionally have a blue screen up with the caption "This may take several minutes. Please Don't Turn Off."Is there any way to stop this from happening? Twice it has happened during...
  4. Problem with "This might take several minutes" blue screen

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. Windows Shut down message to USB port

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows Shut down message to USB port: I'd like to be able to inform a USB device from a PC, laptop or Surface when the user performed a Windows shut down. The USB device does not use the power from the USB port that it is attached too and has it's own power supply. So the5v power form the USB port does not help...
  6. Windows Shut down message to USB port

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows Shut down message to USB port: I'd like to be able to inform a USB device from a PC, laptop or Surface when the user performed a Windows shut down. The USB device does not use the power from the USB port that it is attached too and has it's own power supply. So the5v power form the USB port does not help...
  7. Some USB ports not working and issues shutting down.

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Some USB ports not working and issues shutting down.: I tried to build a PC and im left with 2 working USB 3.1 Gen 2 sockets. Red USB xHCI Compliant Host Controller Code 10 So i have 4 USB 3.1 Gen 1 Blue and 2 USB 2.0 Black ports not working at back panel. 2 USB 3.1 Gen 1 Blue Ports in the front IO also not working. Also when...
  8. USB Ports keep shutting down

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    USB Ports keep shutting down: Hello, I've been having this issue recently where I will be playing a vr game and out of the blue my pc will just disconnect all of my usb ports, making me have to stop playing vr and wait 15 seconds to 2 minutes for my keyboard and mouse to register again. I have done...
  9. This might take several minutes

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    This might take several minutes: I booted my hp laptop and it came up with a blank screen. Thought maybe there was an issue with my machine because I use an external docking station/monitor. It rebooted I got login screen. After login in, I am getting “hi” followed by “we’ve got some updates for your...
  10. Blue screen and computer shutting down by itslef

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Blue screen and computer shutting down by itslef: Help! I have an HP probook and yesterday while i was in a skype call just shut down out of nowhere, l tought it was the battery that died so i plugged in and turned it on again it work for 1 minute and went off again, as of that moment my computer keeps shutting itself off...