Windows 10: USB ports not working correctly

Discus and support USB ports not working correctly in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I am having issues with the USB ports on my HP Envy laptop running Windows 10 1809 My USB 3.0 external HDDs (various) either randomly disconnect, go... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by em501, Jul 2, 2020.

1. em501 Win User

USB ports not working correctly

I am having issues with the USB ports on my HP Envy laptop running Windows 10 1809

My USB 3.0 external HDDs (various) either randomly disconnect, go into sleep mode after about 10 minutes or display a USB device not recognised notification when plugged in
    My USB 2.0 TV capture device randomly disconnects within 10 minutes of being plugged in, sometimes the USB disconnect notification sound plays 3 or 4 times within 10 seconds resulting in a BSOD citing the device driver

The only device that works fine is my USB laser mouse

Things I have tried:

Reinstalled all device drivers

Tested all USB devices on another HP Envy laptop running Windows 10 - working fine

Reinstalled the USB drivers under Device Manager, rebooted and let Windows reinstall the drivers

Disabled "Selective suspend" settings for both battery and plugged in under Power Options

Unchecked "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power" on the Power Management tab for USB Root Hub (USB 3.0) in Device Manager

Run the Intel Driver and Support Assistant

I've provided as much info as I can think of

Any help appreciated

:)

em501, Jul 2, 2020

2. USB Ports not working

Hi Marvin,

We appreciate your interest in Windows 10.

As you are facing issues with accessing the USB ports on your device, do not worry we will help you with this issue.

Do let us know the make and model of the device?

This issue might have occurred due to corrupted drivers on your device. Try the below troubleshooting steps and check if it helps.

Step 1: I suggest you to check if there are any drivers with exclamatory mark in Device Manager.

• Press Windows + X keys from the keyboard, click on
      Device Manager.
    • Check for the drivers with exclamatory mark in yellow triangle.
    • If so, right click on the driver, click on Properties
      and check the device status.
    • Also, try to update the drivers by click on Update driver software
      under Drivers tab in Properties window.

Step 2: I suggest you to run Hardware and Devices troubleshooter.

Hardware and Devices troubleshooter
    checks for common problems and makes sure that any new device or hardware connected to your PC is installed correctly.

• Press Windows key from the keyboard, type
      Troubleshooting and select it.
    • Click on view all option on the upper left corner of
      Troubleshooting window.
    • Select the Hardware and Device
      options from the list.
    • Click Next to run the
      Hardware and Device
      Troubleshooter.

Hope it helps. Reply to the post with an updated status of accessing the USB ports for further assistance.

Thank you.

Deepika Gowda, Jul 2, 2020
  3. non working USB ports

Hi,

In order for us to better assist you, please provide the following information:

• What happens when you try to connect a device?
    • Are you receiving any error messages?
    • Did you make any changes to the computer prior to this issue?
    We suggest you to click this
    link
    , check the post of Azaruddin Syed and follow the steps provided to troubleshoot USB ports.

Let us know how it goes. Thank you.

Reymichael Ros, Jul 2, 2020
  4. jjtyler Win User

USB port not working

I have an HP Pavilion dv6604nr laptop. I have 3 USB ports, 2 located on the left side and one located on the right side near the power supply port. For some reason, one of the USB ports on the left hand side will not recognize anything that is plugged
    into it. I have done all the steps and suggestions that is posted on this site, and still can't get it to work. The message I get is "The last USB device that was connected has malfunctioned and Windows does not recognize it." It shows in the Device Manager
    as Unknown USB Device(Port Reset Failed). When I have a USB device plugged into the non-working port, it shows up in the Devices and Printers folder, but the device does not work. I am at my wits end. Can anyone help me or suggest any other things to try?
    Oh, I am running Windows 10 pro.

jjtyler, Jul 2, 2020
Thema:

1. USB ports not working correctly - Similar Threads - USB ports working

2. USB ports not working

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    USB ports not working: Here comes my challenge... My laptop just shuts down while working even when it have more battery life.. Now my USB ports are only working when the lid is closed. When I open the lid they stop working.... Help please...
  3. USB ports not working

in Windows 10 Gaming
    USB ports not working: Here comes my challenge... My laptop just shuts down while working even when it have more battery life.. Now my USB ports are only working when the lid is closed. When I open the lid they stop working.... Help please...
  4. USB ports not working

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. USB port not work

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    USB port not work: HI ihave a USB port in my notebook HP Pavilion dv6700 not work,so icheck in the registry REGEDIT and foe some reazon the USB is not in the registry,I did HKEY-LOCAL-MACHINE/SYSTEM/CurrentControlSet/Services/USB to se if the DisableSelectiveSuspended if is dere but the USB is...
  6. 7 port USB 3 hub not working correctly

7 port USB 3 hub not working correctly: I recently aquired a 7 port USB 3 hub. It does not have any identifying marks, so I don't know who manufactured it. It works perfectly fine on a PC running Windows 7, but when connected to any of my Windows 10 PCs I get an unknown device under Universal Serial Bus controllers...
  7. usb ports not working

usb ports not working: hey my name is sami and ive been experiencing some real issues with this asus laptop 8gb ram it has 2 usb ports* months ago i lost one of them but the weird thing is that it could read my external hdd but noting else and when i plug my mouse in only the lights work but not...
  8. USB port not working?

USB port not working?: A little while back, I spilled some Dr. Pepper near my laptop. I supposed it had reached the USB port and caused it to stop working. But then it started working for a few minutes and stopped. But that was a few months ago, and now it does not work anymore. I attempted many...
  9. usb ports not working

usb ports not working: usb ports not working https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/usb-ports-not-working/70ec7ff4-110a-4377-b2db-f7cc1aefb4df
  10. USB ports not working

in Windows 10 Support
    USB ports not working: Hey, how do i troubleshoot USB ports not working? It is not OS related, since it doesn't work in BIOS as well. I have two working USB ports in the back, and that's it.The motherboard is Asus Maximus IV Z68, and the USB ports that aren't working are the 3.0 ones with Renesas...