Windows 10: USB ports not working when Microsoft loads after a Windows update. Can't login to Windows

Discus and support USB ports not working when Microsoft loads after a Windows update. Can't login to Windows in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I have a big problem as I can not log in into Windows 10, after an update of the system. So, neither wired USB mouse works nor the wireless keyboard.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by SERIQ, Jun 26, 2020.

1. SERIQ Win User

USB ports not working when Microsoft loads after a Windows update. Can't login to Windows

I have a big problem as I can not log in into Windows 10, after an update of the system.

So, neither wired USB mouse works nor the wireless keyboard. This has happened before, but after few restarts with power on/off button for some reason, the keyboard started working and I used it to enter the password and get to the device manager where I updated USB drivers changed them to Microsoft drivers and both mouse and all other USB ports started working properly.
    Now, after numerous restarts, I can not use the keyboard, so I am stuck at the login screen with nothing to do.

It is HP Touchsmart 610 all in one PC, but touch screen function has been turned off, which would be very helpful in this situation... :

So, basically the computer is locked and bricked.

Any idea about the possible solution?

Thanks in advance!

:)

SERIQ, Jun 26, 2020
  2. Mala_S Win User

USB ports not working in Windows 10

Hello ruthives,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

To address your concern, kindly help us with the below questions.

1. What is the make and model of the computer?
    2. Do you read any error message when you connect the device to the USB port?
    3. Are you facing this issue with any particular USB port or with all the USB ports?
    4. Since when are you facing this issue?

Your device is kept up to date with the latest features by automatically installing the updates in Windows 10. To narrow down the issue, let's go ahead and follow the below methods and see if it helps.

Method 1: I would suggest you to follow the steps to diagnose and repair the USB ports from the article -

Automatically diagnose and fix Windows USB problems.

Method 2: Update USB controllers.

• Right click on the Start menu and select Device Manager from the list.
    • Narrow down to Universal Serial Bus controllers and update all the USB drivers.
    • To update the drivers, right click on the each driver and select Update driver.
    • If that doesn't resolve the issue, I would suggest you to uninstall all the USB drivers from the device manager.
    • Reboot the PC and it will automatically pick for the latest drivers for your PC.

If the issue persists, download and install the latest USB drivers available for your PC build from the
    manufacturer's website and see if it works.

Hope it helps.

Mala S

Microsoft Community - Moderator

Mala_S, Jun 26, 2020
  3. Mala_S Win User
    USB ports not working in Windows 10

Hello,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

To address your concern, kindly help us with the following questions:

1. What is the make and model of your computer?
    2. Do you see any error in the device manager when the USB is connected?

Before we troubleshoot on the issue, I would suggest you to check if the USB devices work on a different computer. If it does, kindly try the steps listed below and see if it works.

Method 1: I would suggest you to follow the steps to diagnose and repair the USB ports from the article -
    Automatically diagnose and fix Windows USB problems.

Method 2: Update USB controllers.

• Right click on the Start menu and select
      Device Manager
      from the list.
    • Narrow down to Universal Serial Bus controllers and update all the USB drivers.
    • To update the drivers, right click on the each driver and select
      Update driver
    • If that doesn't resolve the issue, I would suggest you to uninstall all the USB drivers from the Device Manager.
    • Restart the computer. After the computer starts, Windows will automatically scan for hardware changes and reinstall all the USB root hubs that you uninstalled.

Method 3: Disable Selective Suspend feature.

• Right click the Windows icon on the taskbar and choose ‘Power Options’. Click
      ‘Change Plan Setting’ on your current plan.
    • Choose ‘Change Advanced Power Setting’ on the chosen plan.
    • Disable ‘USB Selective Suspend Setting’ under
      ‘USB Settings’

If the issue persists, identify if the USB drive is listed in Disk Management. To do that,

• Right-click on Windows icon and select Disk management and find if the USB drive shows up there.

Regards,

Mala S

Microsoft Community - Moderator

Mala_S, Jun 26, 2020
  4. malware Win User

USB ports not working when Microsoft loads after a Windows update. Can't login to Windows

Microsoft Prepares Update for Windows Home Server

Microsoft's Windows Home Server officially launched earlier this month, is already preparing to be updated. Microsoft says that the new update is "part of the ongoing process of continually enhancing the customer experience with Windows Home Server." The update includes a few feature additions for Windows Home Server. Currently, users who login to their server when away from their home network - through an external URL like https://yourname.homeserver.com - are greeted with a security warning. The November 27 update will now provide users with a trusted SSL certificate for their Windows Home Severs. The SSL certification was provided with the help of Windows Live Domains and GoDaddy. Other new features include a "Delete All" button to remove home computer backups. Microsoft has also taken steps to make the Shared Folders and Server Storage aspects of Windows Home Server more robust and user friendly.

Source: DailyTech

malware, Jun 26, 2020
Thema:

1. USB ports not working when Microsoft loads after a Windows update. Can't login to Windows - Similar Threads - USB ports working

2. USB port stopped working after Windows Update

in Windows 10 Gaming
    USB port stopped working after Windows Update: One PC runs an aircraft tracking program and a ship tracking program. Both have received connected via USB.A couple of months ago I noticed the ship tracking was not working. I initially thought the receiver or antenna was faulty so checked the antenna and tried a spare...
  3. USB port stopped working after Windows Update

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    USB port stopped working after Windows Update: One PC runs an aircraft tracking program and a ship tracking program. Both have received connected via USB.A couple of months ago I noticed the ship tracking was not working. I initially thought the receiver or antenna was faulty so checked the antenna and tried a spare...
  4. what to do when usb port not working after windows update

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    what to do when usb port not working after windows update: Had my New laptop windows update september last year and after that my usb port just suddenly stop working that I cannot use my mouse dongle any more...can you please help. thank you....
  5. USB Ports stopped working after windows update

USB Ports stopped working after windows update: Hi, I updated my computer yesterday and noticed that all my devices Mouse, Keyboard... have stopped working. Im guessing the update messed up my usb drivers somehow... I opened the device manager and checked and I noticed a yellow warnign sign on one of them:It says: This...
  6. USB + ps/2 ports not working at login screen after update.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    USB + ps/2 ports not working at login screen after update.: Hello, Yesterday I updated to the latest build, after updating my USB ports are no longer working at the login screen, as such, I cannot log in to fix my USB Drivers. The ports are physically fine, I have tried two keyboards, in both USB ports and via a PS/2 port, nothing...
  7. USB ports not working after update

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    USB ports not working after update: 2 of my USB ports stopped working with a recent windows update. I noticed they weren’t working when I had a warning screen pop up with every restart stating “USB device not recognized. the last USB device you connected to this computer malfunctioned and windows does not...
  8. USB ports not working after Windows update

USB ports not working after Windows update: I had a update last night for windows 10 on my desktop, made me do it as I could not turn off my computer without it starting, I get up in the morning and get on, the usb ports work for 5 minutes at most before they stop working, all of them worked fine until this update, I...
  9. USB ports not working after updates

USB ports not working after updates: Hi there I have an Asus all in one Pc with windows. Since a set of updates, neither of my 2 USB ports seem to be functioning. Any devices phone. tablet, camera etc. when plugged in do not register and I cannnot transfer files or images from one to the other....
  10. USB ports not working after Windows 10 update

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    USB ports not working after Windows 10 update: I had this issue after the September 11, 2018 update. Device manager showed only my 3.0 ports installed but they were not working and no yellow exclamation marks. I right clicked on the USB controllers item and had to enable it. No Change Then I right clicked on the intel...