Windows 10: USB ports suddenly unrecognized, among other troubles, DeviceCensus

Discus and support USB ports suddenly unrecognized, among other troubles, DeviceCensus in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; My computer has been running into a few random problems over the last few months and I am a bit concerned. Rebooting has helped solve the problems I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by wrecklesstechn0, Oct 22, 2018.

1. USB ports suddenly unrecognized, among other troubles, DeviceCensus

My computer has been running into a few random problems over the last few months and I am a bit concerned.

Rebooting has helped solve the problems I am about to describe - only temporarily. They are persistent and unpredictable however.

I purchased this computer, an HP Pavilion 15t-cc500 CTO, in late January 2018. The first suspicious occurrence may have less to do with Windows 10 and more to do with my anti-virus software, ESET internet security, but I'm not sure. Several times a day, a notification will pop up asking for permission to access my webcam, requested by "DeviceCensus.exe". I disallow permission and tell it to remember not to ask again but it keeps asking and even allows it on its own sometimes. This started happening around late September 2018.

On October 3, 2018, I had my first major problem. I was listening to music in Winamp, when suddenly every file I tried to play would fizz out and stop playing at 00:11 seconds until Winamp just crashed. VLC media player crashed and then none of the programs on my computer would play any of my files. I then went to look into my external hard drive through Windows explorer to find that several of the folders which used to store many files now read "empty". I disconnected my external drive, via "Safely remove hardware" and I also unplugged it, but it was still recognized in Windows Explorer and I could still browse through the folders, strangely. Suddenly, my USB mouse stopped working. It's like everything was just gradually ceasing cooperation.

I was very alarmed and rebooted my PC immediately, and everything was back to normal. About a week ago, my USB ports suddenly stopped working once again. I connected/disconnected my external drive along with a few other devices several times, and they were not recognized. Upon disconnecting and reconnecting my USB mouse, it was no longer recognized. I rebooted and once again my mouse was now recognized and I could plug in my devices. I expect this to happen again and I'm worried that if I do not take action now, something irreversible could occur and ruin my PC or my data.

I would much appreciate any ideas or suggestions on any of these issues, or more importantly what it means as a whole. Thanks.

*What also may be important to note: I never restart my PC for any reason besides this, or to install mandatory updates. It runs 24/7, and I almost always am running file sharing programs such as SoulSeek. My external drive is always connected and I almost always have a browser open for email or youtube.

:)

wrecklesstechn0, Oct 22, 2018
  2. spapakons Win User

USB Port Oddities

Ok, let's see it with pictures step-by-step. First right-click on the USB device and select Update driver software:

USB ports suddenly unrecognized, among other troubles, DeviceCensus [​IMG]

Then select Browse my computer for driver software (LAST option) :

The select Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer (LAST option) :

Then select the standard driver from the list and click next:

Click next/OK as required to complete installation. Repeat the steps for all Intel USB devices. Finally click on each USB root device and press DEL to delete it, reply YES when asked. After deleting all USB root devices restart the computer.

I hope this is detailed enough...

spapakons, Oct 22, 2018
  3. Tely136 Win User
    Unrecognized USB device (device descriptor request failed)

Are you still around?

Sorry if none of that helped. I have tried pretty much everything else that has been suggested by others such as:

Uninstalling the unrecognized device and restarting

Uninstalling the USB drivers and restarting.

Trying every USB port on my computer.

Updating the drivers for every device

listed under universal serial his controllers in the device manager.

Please reply, I know there's got to be a way to fix this.

Tely136, Oct 22, 2018
  4. USB ports suddenly unrecognized, among other troubles, DeviceCensus

USB Ports

Hi Homer,

We'd like to ask a few questions to help us isolate this problem.

• Have you tried connecting your device tracker to a different USB port on your computer?
    • If so, was it detected?
    • Did you receive any error messages?

To address this issue, we suggest that you follow the troubleshooting steps shared by Praveen Venogupal on this

link

Let us know how it goes.

Regards.

Vanessa Yar, Oct 22, 2018
Thema:

USB ports suddenly unrecognized, among other troubles, DeviceCensus

1. USB ports suddenly unrecognized, among other troubles, DeviceCensus - Similar Threads - USB ports suddenly

2. USB Devices Unrecognized

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    USB Devices Unrecognized: I have 2 USB devices a WIFI and a Bluetooth Dongle that since the latest patch {KB4586781} will not work. They both were working prior to this. I have tried on multiple port across two different Windows 10 systems with no change. I have also purchased a second Bluetooth...
  3. USB Device Unrecognized constantly popping up even with nothing connected to ports.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    USB Device Unrecognized constantly popping up even with nothing connected to ports.: After getting some new Peripherals including a Mic Mouse and headset, USB connect and reconnect pops up over and over and over. It's very annoying and makes games unplayable because the game chugs when what ever is connecting connects for a a brief moment over and over. Even...
  4. USB ports suddenly not working anymore

USB ports suddenly not working anymore: Left my laptop alone for roughly 10 minutes, came back to all my plugged in devices ( mouse, portable drive) not working. replugged everything in every port, noone worked. what ive tried: -Device Manager update of the usb hub, reinstall etc. No exclamation mark or anything...
  5. USB ports suddenly not working...

USB ports suddenly not working...: Mouse and keyboard are suddenly on strike because suddenly my USB ports are dead. I really don't know how that happened, tried everything to get them all working again... And did I mention that the mouse pointer is gone too? Tried several keyboards and mice, to no avail......
  6. USB ports suddenly not working...

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    USB ports suddenly not working...: Mouse and keyboard are suddenly on strike because suddenly my USB ports are dead. I really don't know how that happened, tried everything to get them all working again... And did I mention that the mouse pointer is gone too? Tried several keyboards and mice, to no avail......
  7. USB ports suddenly stopped working!

USB ports suddenly stopped working!: Two of the USB ports on my computer have suddenly stopped working. I've tried everything I can think of to re-start them, but to no avail. Any more ideas out there?...
  8. USB ports suddenly unrecognized, among other troubles, DeviceCensus

in Windows 10 Support
    USB ports suddenly unrecognized, among other troubles, DeviceCensus: My computer has been running into a few random problems over the last few months and I am a bit concerned. Rebooting has helped solve the problems I am about to describe - only temporarily. They are persistent and unpredictable however. I purchased this computer, an HP...
  9. Trouble connecting Ipod through usb port

Trouble connecting Ipod through usb port: Hi hope you can help. I have been having trouble connecting my old but still fully functioning Ipod Mini with my HP laptop. I keep getting a message popping up that there is a problem with the driver. I have tried all the USB ports, no difference. The cable I am using to...
  10. scrolling issues among others

in Windows 10 Support
    scrolling issues among others: I have a Surface Pro 3 running Windows 10. When I bought it, it performed flawlessly. Now, after who knows how many updates, not so well. Frequently, scrolling rushes away from me as though I gave the touch screen the sharpest “flick” imaginable. This happens at least once...