Windows 10: USB Power options question

Discus and support USB Power options question in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; I have been sufferring from intermittent loss of Mouse and Keyboard connection. The mouse freezes or doesn't respond to my clicking, the keyboard does... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by MacNala, Sep 21, 2018.

1. MacNala Win User

USB Power options question

I have been sufferring from intermittent loss of Mouse and Keyboard connection. The mouse freezes or doesn't respond to my clicking, the keyboard does not register my key presses. This happens when I am trying to update the Windows 10 Pro with updates or new releases. During these activities there are times when no input is expected from me and it is during this time that the mouse freezes occur. This can result in the failure of the update. The mouse and keyboard are connected by USB.
    I have searched a lot of forums (including this one) but have found nothing which helps.
    I was told by a friend that there are options in Win10 hardware that powers down the USB devices if unused for a time. Presumably to save power on a laptop. The option can be found by opening the device Manager and clicking on the Universal Serial Bus Controllers. Right clicking the Generic USB Hub and choosing the properties. Select the Power management tab. This displays a selection to
    Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power.
    I have blanked this option on each of the USB Hubs and this seems to help but not cure the 'freezing' problem.
    My question is there any where else that such an option exists, The registry for example. and what controls the time of the powering off?
    When I am using a PC which is always powered on does it make sense to have such an option or is it a hangover from MS trying to hang on to mobile definitions?

:)

MacNala, Sep 21, 2018

2. Windows 10 Power Options Not working

Hi,

Welcome to Microsoft Community and thank you for your interest in Windows 10.

I suggest you to follow the below methods and check if it helps.

Method 1: Use the hardware troubleshooter to fix the issue

The Hardware Troubleshooter is an automated tool which will check the hardware connected to the computer for any known issues with it and provides the details and on how to fix them. Follow these steps and run the troubleshooter.
    Follow these steps:

• Press Windows key to get the Start menu.
    • Type Troubleshooting in the search box right up corner and hit enter.
    • Click on Troubleshooting tab.
    • Click on view all option on the upper left corner.
    • Select the power options from the list.
    • Click Next to run the power Troubleshooter.
    Method 2: Also I suggest you to create a new power plan and check if it helps.

• Go to control panel and then click on power options.
    • Then click on create new power plan.
    • Change the power plan accordingly and check.
    Hope this information was helpful and do let us know if you need further assistance. We will be glad to assist.

Karthicka_R, Sep 21, 2018
  3. sleep mode and power options not working on Windows 10

Hi,

Thank you for contacting Microsoft Forums.

For issues with sleep mode and power options follow the steps provided below.

Run the Power troubleshooter and check.

Follow the steps to run the troubleshooter:

• Open Control Panel.
    • Type Troubleshooting in search and click
      Troubleshooting.
    • Now type Power in the search option.
    • Click on Power troubleshooter to run.

I would suggest you to try updating the Display driver and check if the issue persists. If you already have all the latest drivers from Windows updates, then I would suggest you to visit the computer manufacturer's website, download and install the latest
    drivers in compatibility mode and check.

Hope this helps.

Anish A Kumar, Sep 21, 2018
  4. Xylee Del Win User

Windows 10 power options

Hi Robert,

About your concern with Windows 10 power options, applied settings may not be recognized due to several reasons. We suggest that you run the Windows 10 Power troubleshooter. Here are the steps to follow:

• Go to Search, type troubleshoot, and click Troubleshooting.
    • Under System and Security, click Improve power usage.
    • The troubleshooting wizard will automatically start. It will try to solve any detected issues.

Let us know if you need further assistance regarding your concern.

Xylee Del, Sep 21, 2018
Thema:

1. USB Power options question - Similar Threads - USB Power options

2. power options

in Windows 10 Gaming
    power options: when i go to shut down my laptop on task bar it tells me power option not available. How do I correct this or change the setting. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/power-options/f8304b9a-92f3-4e62-b4ec-b13f71b2d3ee
  3. USB Media Creation Tool Option Question

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    USB Media Creation Tool Option Question: Use The Recommended Options For This PC. Should this option be checked or not? (I intend to do a Repair Install). I'm using Windows 10 Pro - but in the Options window, Windows 10 is already selected and I don't have an option to select Windows 10 Pro. What should I do? The...
  4. No USB in Power Options, Advanced settings

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    No USB in Power Options, Advanced settings: I have an ASUS Zenbook, Windows 10 Home 64bit. I wanted to adjust the USB settings, specifically to have the USB shutoff while in sleep mode. I believe the USB is still being powered as my battery drains when I have a mouse plugged in, even it is off. Originally my problem...
  5. Power Option

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Power Option: I have Windows 10 Pro 1909, the power option keeps on changing to default no matter how many times I kept changing them to best performance or even make my own option. I noticed this since the first update in Windows 10 few years and hoping there's a fix with later updates....
  6. Power Options

Power Options: On Windows 10, in the Power & Sleep options, I've set the screen to turn off after 5 minutes on battery and 45 minutes plugged in, while I've set the computer to go into sleep mode after 15 minutes on battery, and 1 hour plugged in. However, after 5 minutes of inactivity...
  7. Power Options

Power Options: Is there a way to get back the old power settings? (energy, balanced, power) Recently my HP laptop will try to sleep quickly - I have tried changing the settings but it keeps doing it. Thanks...
  8. Power Options

in Windows 10 Customization
    Power Options: Recently the Hibernate Option went away from my desk top. Even in the control panel the option is not there. Any thoughts? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/power-options/49a91810-1afb-42c7-94b8-8f8de3239ff0
  9. Power options question

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Power options question: So I plan on doing an windows update to 1809, my question is when it restarts to the screen where instead of don’t power off your pc, it says “this will take a while” can i still have the lid closed or do I have to open it. 127933
  10. Add USB 3 Link Power Management to Power Options in Windows

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Add USB 3 Link Power Management to Power Options in Windows: How to: Add USB 3 Link Power Management to Power Options in Windows How to Add or Remove "USB 3 Link Power Management" from Power Options in Windows The USB 3 Link Power Management setting in Power Options allows users to specify the power management policy to use for...