Windows 10: USB Power settings - WHY!???

Discus and support USB Power settings - WHY!??? in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; OK a little bit of a rant and reporting and issue that should never have happened. This happened to my son who depends on things like live streaming... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by RoyRichardson&, Jun 30, 2020.

1. USB Power settings - WHY!???

OK a little bit of a rant and reporting and issue that should never have happened.

This happened to my son who depends on things like live streaming for his income as a professional musician.

I'm a former MSFT consultant and assisted with this troubleshooting over a the course of several of days.

He is using a complex set up of several computers no laptops where battery power is an issue, and this is important tidbit to stream live playing and recorded audio using a DAW, local mixer/audio interfaces etc via USB 3.0 connections and other interfaces. All things worked fine and successfully live streaming for hours without a problem.

Following some updates 2 weeks or so ago the audio stream would no longer transmit from the audio interface via the USB 3.0 port without unplugging and replugging the USB connector cable. Then things would function for approximately 20-30 minutes and the audio feed would stop. Unplugging and replugging would make it resume. After much troubleshooting over several days, uninstalling / reinstalling this and that, removing whatever update we possibly could not all would uninstall - imagine that the problem persisted.

Finally, digging deeply into the device manager it was discovered that the USB controller setting

'Allow Windows to turn this device off to save power' was turned ON. This was the case on EVERY single USB controller item in the device manager. For this particular machine there were many. This could only have happened by one of the updates. The box was unchecked on every item and the audio streaming issue was fixed.

So here's are the questions -

1. WHY would this setting ever get turned on for a workstation where there is no battery power to be concerned about and

2. even more disconcerting, WHY would it turn the USB port off to 'save power' while it is in heavy use transmitting an audio stream?

:)

RoyRichardson&, Jun 30, 2020
  2. Guru-# Win User

USB settings in Power Plan Options on Windows 10 is missing, how to restore it?

As per the below suggested steps I am trying to disable the USB in USB selective suspend setting in my Dell laptop with Windows 10 Home. however, I do not find the USB Settings at all in two modes Balanced mode or Dell (Active) mode under change advanced
    power settings. How to restore it?

USB Selective Suspend Settings, follow the steps below:

1. Press Windows + X.
    2. Choose Power Options.
    3. Select Choose when to turn off the display.
    4. Open Change advanced power settings.
    5. Expand USB settings and USB selective suspend setting.
    6. Select Enabled (default) or Disabled.
    7. Click Apply, then OK.

Guru-#, Jun 30, 2020
  3. No power at usb

Hi,

Thank you for posting in Microsoft Community. I understand your concern and I am glad to assist you.

"I have checked and followed the instructions in Device Manager, Trouble shooting , settings, update driver and audio within the computer

Also various links within this forum with no success"

What troubleshooting steps did you try to resolve the issue?

I would suggest you to run the hardware and device troubleshooter and check:

Try these steps to run the troubleshooter:

• Type troubleshooting in the search bar.
    • Click view all in the left panel.
    • Select ‘Hardware and devices' and follow the on-screen instructions.
    If you think that it is the power that is causing this, run the Power Troubleshooter.

• Open Control Panel.
    • Type “Troubleshooting” in the search bar and press “Enter”.
    • In the “Troubleshooting” window, click on “View All” on the left pane.
    • Click on “Power”.
    • Click on “Advanced” and then click on “Run as Administrator”.
    • Click “Next” and follow the on-screen instructions to complete the troubleshooting process.

I would suggest you to restore default settings of power plan and check if it helps.

• Open Control Panel.
    • Click on the Power Options icon.
    • Click on Change advanced power settings.
    • Select the option “Restore default settings for this plan”.

Hope this post is helpful. Get back to us with the results. We are happy to help.

Joy Kemprai, Jun 30, 2020
  4. Yolvi Ell Win User

USB Power settings - WHY!???

Disable "Power Surge on USB" message

Hi David,

If the system detects that a USB port is going over the power limit, the system is set to notify the user by default. However, since you mentioned that you're still getting the notification after you disabled the alerts, we suggest following these steps
    instead:

• Right-click the Start button.
    • Choose Device Manager.
    • Click the drop-down arrow beside Universal Serial Bus controllers.
    • Right-click anything that has USB Host Controller in its name, and select
      Properties.
    • Go to the Driver tab and select Uninstall.
    • Restart your computer. The driver will be reinstalled automatically.

Let us know if the error notification disappears after following these steps.

Yolvi Ell, Jun 30, 2020
Thema:

USB Power settings - WHY!???

1. USB Power settings - WHY!??? - Similar Threads - USB Power settings

2. Why is Windows 11 ignoring the power settings?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Why is Windows 11 ignoring the power settings?: I have set my turn off display, and put PC to sleep to never.Shut off hard drive neverHibernate after neversystem unattended neverAnd still, Windows 11 keeps locking after what seems like a minute....
  3. why is the power options missing on my windows 11 and even USB settings in andvanced power...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    why is the power options missing on my windows 11 and even USB settings in andvanced power...: This seems like a common issue, and it has never been there. I have tried all the commands and recommendations I even installed clean windows 11 and i have tried all the commands i have seen and it will show the power option that the command I type on command prompt, but they...
  4. why is the power options missing on my windows 11 and even USB settings in andvanced power...

why is the power options missing on my windows 11 and even USB settings in andvanced power...: This seems like a common issue, and it has never been there. I have tried all the commands and recommendations I even installed clean windows 11 and i have tried all the commands i have seen and it will show the power option that the command I type on command prompt, but they...
  5. [Windows 11] Why duplicate settings: A Power Mode in Settings app and a Power Plan Power...

[Windows 11] Why duplicate settings: A Power Mode in Settings app and a Power Plan Power...: 1. What is the purpose of having these two power management selections separately? Is there a guidance article that Microsoft put out? 2. How does one, customize the Power Modes selectable from the Setting App? 3. Where should one now control the display off, sleep, and...
  6. [Windows 11] Why duplicate settings: A Power Mode in Settings app and a Power Plan Power...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    [Windows 11] Why duplicate settings: A Power Mode in Settings app and a Power Plan Power...: 1. What is the purpose of having these two power management selections separately? Is there a guidance article that Microsoft put out? 2. How does one, customize the Power Modes selectable from the Setting App? 3. Where should one now control the display off, sleep, and...
  7. Why no USB Settings in Advanced Power Settings?

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Why no USB Settings in Advanced Power Settings?: My wife's Dell computer has a lot more options in the Advance Power settings. Including "USB Settings". Why would my HP Envy 32 not have those options? I have USB devices plugged in. Like my mouse, a hard drive, an m-disc drive....
  8. [Discussion] USB Suspend Settings / USB Power Management are problematic

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    [Discussion] USB Suspend Settings / USB Power Management are problematic: I just got a new PC with fresh settings about two month ago. Thinking fresh system should have no issue on most of the thing, I naively plug my old keyboard (a MKA-3C) into the new PC. Before anything, the keyboard has no issue on the old PC, even with the keyboard RGB light...
  9. USB Power Setting not saving

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    USB Power Setting not saving: I have a PC that continues to turn off the USB touch response of a touch screen. I go to the Device Manager > Universal Serial Bus controllers I uncheck every "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power" The next day, after being turned off overnight, one or...
  10. No USB in Power Options, Advanced settings

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    No USB in Power Options, Advanced settings: I have an ASUS Zenbook, Windows 10 Home 64bit. I wanted to adjust the USB settings, specifically to have the USB shutoff while in sleep mode. I believe the USB is still being powered as my battery drains when I have a mouse plugged in, even it is off. Originally my problem...