Windows 10: USB printer port not accessible

Discus and support USB printer port not accessible in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I recently bought a Canon Pixma MG2580S inkjet printer for home use with my Lenovo Ideapad 310-15IKB running Windows 10 Home 1809. I plugged the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by GMontoya, May 27, 2019.

1. GMontoya Win User

USB printer port not accessible

I recently bought a Canon Pixma MG2580S inkjet printer for home use with my Lenovo Ideapad 310-15IKB running Windows 10 Home 1809.

I plugged the printer in and windows detected it as MG2500 Series, and also as MG2500 Series WS. Neither of these options was functional for printing. I removed the printers and used the Canon install disk. It ran fine, until it asked to plug in and activate the printer. I did so, and it detected the printer, but after sitting for ten minutes, announced that the printer was not actually connected.

As per both Windows and Canon troubleshooting, I rolled back the installation and tried again. It repeated the error.

I checked the USB port drivers and they are up to date. I checked Canon's online database and I also have the most up-to-date driver there.

This is not the first time I have had trouble running a USB-based printer from Windows 10. Last time I tried it, in December of 2017, I got a similar error from an HP printer, where the install software announced that Windows 10 cannot run USB printer protocols over a USB 3.0 port. I got the same error running it in both a USB 3.0 port and in a USB 2.0 port on the same computer, where it worked just fine on the office computer running Windows 7.

I have tried the solutions available in this thread: https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-hardware-winpc/windows-10-cant-find-printer/84cb9a70-be67-4666-81ef-b486c9e9b304

They did not work.

Of course, I can't use the printer over Wifi protocol because Windows 10 also won't talk to anything in the LAN... any IPv4 address in the 192.168.nnn.nnn range is completely anathema to every installation of Windows 10 I have ever worked with, so I can't access the printer to set it up and make it visible to my home network. How do I make the printer and the computer make nice?

:)

GMontoya, May 27, 2019
  2. Rose Cal Win User

Cannot access USB ports and cannot delete an item in printer queue

Hi,

Unstable or corrupt USB controllers may be the possible causes why you're unable to access USB ports. It is possible that you're unable to delete an item from the printer queue due to configuration settings. To provide you the accurate resolution, we'd like
    to gather more information:

• Have you made any recent changes prior to this issue?
    • Have you tried updating your drivers?
    • What troubleshooting steps have you done so far?
    • If you're trying to connect a USB device, have you tried connecting it to another computer and check if the issue still persists?

Meanwhile, we suggest that you download and run USB troubleshooter by clicking on this
    link. This will automatically diagnose USB problems and will provide you a remedy.

Additionally, we also recommend that you follow the steps in this article
    on how to troubleshoot your USB device which was not recognized.

To troubleshoot your printer, we recommend that you follow the steps shared by Guru Kiran G on this
    thread on how to clear the printer queue.

Keep us posted if you need additional help.

Rose Cal, May 27, 2019
  3. CafeLoto Win User
    Installing generic printer usb port not showing

Hello, yes the printer is turned on, it works fine this printer since last week I was using it with my old computer, I already try in all 3 usb ports, and in Devixe Manager it shows as "unknown USB device (device descriptor request failed).

Any suggestions?

CafeLoto, May 27, 2019
  4. spapakons Win User

USB Port Oddities

Ok, let's see it with pictures step-by-step. First right-click on the USB device and select Update driver software:

USB printer port not accessible [​IMG]

Then select Browse my computer for driver software (LAST option) :

The select Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer (LAST option) :

Then select the standard driver from the list and click next:

Click next/OK as required to complete installation. Repeat the steps for all Intel USB devices. Finally click on each USB root device and press DEL to delete it, reply YES when asked. After deleting all USB root devices restart the computer.

I hope this is detailed enough...

spapakons, May 27, 2019
Thema:

1. USB printer port not accessible - Similar Threads - USB printer port

2. Usb Printers stack on the same USB port

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Usb Printers stack on the same USB port: I have 3 Identical printers plugged physically into 3 different usb ports, They all share USB 1 they will not create seperate virtual usb ports. I have tried various ways of plugging them in before and after the machine is turned on. One printer at a time but nothing works,....
  3. Usb Printers stack on the same USB port

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Usb Printers stack on the same USB port: I have 3 Identical printers plugged physically into 3 different usb ports, They all share USB 1 they will not create seperate virtual usb ports. I have tried various ways of plugging them in before and after the machine is turned on. One printer at a time but nothing works,....
  4. Usb Printers stack on the same USB port

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  5. Cannot restore access to USB Ports

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Cannot restore access to USB Ports: I had an issue where a usb port for my house wasn’t being registered, so I followed troubleshooting steps and removed the drivers. However this lost me access to both mouse and keyboard so I restarted computer. Now I cannot access my keyboard or mouse when logging in to my...
  6. Cannot restore access to USB Ports

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Cannot restore access to USB Ports: I had an issue where a usb port for my house wasn’t being registered, so I followed troubleshooting steps and removed the drivers. However this lost me access to both mouse and keyboard so I restarted computer. Now I cannot access my keyboard or mouse when logging in to my...
  7. Cannot restore access to USB Ports

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  8. Access Denied on USB Com Ports

Access Denied on USB Com Ports: I am trying to use the Adruino IDE to program an Arduino UNO single board computer. This communicates via the COM port on the USB of my Windows 10 Computer. When connected, the IDE recognizes the board and can see which COM Port it is using. It can even download the UNO...
  9. printer not working on usb port

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    printer not working on usb port: HP MFC6890-CDW printer not working on usb port https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/printer-not-working-on-usb-port/a4d16fb8-88c3-47c8-bf21-e03e51c058d2
  10. No USB Virtual Printer Ports

No USB Virtual Printer Ports: When manually installing a printer, I cannot select a USB port because none exist. How do I get the virtual printer ports for USB001, USB002, USB003, etc. to appear in the list? I have read through many replies and I do NOT need to know how to manually add a printer....