Windows 10: USB Printer preventing computer from sleeping

Discus and support USB Printer preventing computer from sleeping in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; My computer just will not sleep, either automatically or manually. I just disconnected each USB device one by one and found that it's the printer... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by labulmer, Feb 3, 2020.

1. labulmer Win User

USB Printer preventing computer from sleeping

My computer just will not sleep, either automatically or manually. I just disconnected each USB device one by one and found that it's the printer that's the culprit. There's no way in device manager to change the power setting for it to allow the computer to sleep. Can someone tell me how I can fix this? I have it attached to a USB hub. I tried connecting it directly to the PC, and it still won't sleep.

Windows 10 Version 1909, Build 18363.628
    It's a Brother MFC printer

TIA!

:)

labulmer, Feb 3, 2020

2. printer usb is an older version

Hello,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft community. I regret the inconvenience caused to you. Let me help you.

• What is the make and model of the printer and computer?

• What is the exact error message?

I suggest you to disable and re-enable the USB controllers. The following steps will uninstall all the USB controllers and then re-install them:

a. Right click on Start, and then click
    Run.

b. Type devmgmt.msc and then click
    OK. Device Manager opens.

c. Expand Universal Serial Bus controllers.

Note: You might have to scroll down the list to find this item.

d. Right click the first USB controller under
    Universal Serial Bus controllers
    , and then click Uninstall to remove it.

e. Repeat step 4 for each USB controller that is listed under
    Universal Serial Bus controllers.

Note: Restart the computer. After the computer starts, Windows will automatically scan for hardware changes and reinstall all the USB controllers that you uninstalled.

If the issue persists then I suggest you to refer to the following article.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/fix-printer-problems

Hope the information helps. Please let us know if the issue persist and we will be happy to assist you further.

Rajeshwari_Patil, Feb 3, 2020
  3. usb device not recognized (malfunction) - Printer

Hope somebody can help a non-techy here.
    I have a canon IX4000 printer, and had been using it without problem. The next day (having touched nothing), I got a USB device not recognized warning, and that it has a malfunction (this is under Windows XP).

I've tried the following:
    - deinstalling all USB drivers under device manager
    - system restore to several days prior, when I knew the printer was working
    - trying a different USB lead (tested the lead on another device, so know it works)
    - plugged lead into every other available USB port on the computer (front and back).
    - tried plugging it into another computer (comes up with the same malfunction warning)
    - deinstalled the printer drivers, downloaded and reinstalled them.

Nothing I've tried works. I know the printer functions as I can start it up under service mode and print off test pages without problems, but my computer just won't have it. Could it be a hardware failure, and if not is there anything else I can try that isn't listed above?

Really grateful to anyone who can reply. *Smile USB Printer preventing computer from sleeping :)

zarathustra2012, Feb 3, 2020
  4. QuadraKev Win User

"Hey Cortana" preventing computer from automatically sleeping/hibernating

Unfortunately, "Hey Cortana" still prevents my computer from automatically sleeping, even after these steps.

QuadraKev, Feb 3, 2020
Thema:

1. USB Printer preventing computer from sleeping - Similar Threads - USB Printer preventing

2. Microsoft Wireless USB Keyboard/Mouse Dongle Still Prevents Computer from Sleeping

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Microsoft Wireless USB Keyboard/Mouse Dongle Still Prevents Computer from Sleeping: In reference to this thread Microsoft wireless 4000 mouse prevents auto sleep in Windows 8.1 - Microsoft Community, I can confirm that it still happens with all latest updates with the Sculpt Ergonomic Comfort.I spent a lot of time to figure out because there was no problem...
  3. Prevent Windows from unpluging USB devices on sleep

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Prevent Windows from unpluging USB devices on sleep: I'm running Windows 10 [0] via Apple Boot Camp on a 2016 Macbook Pro. I have display [1] connected to my MBP over the certified TB3 cable. That display has a built-in USB Hub with USB-C ports. My Logi Bolt receiver is connected to the hub and a mouse and keyboard are paired...
  4. Prevent Windows from unpluging USB devices on sleep

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Prevent Windows from unpluging USB devices on sleep: I'm running Windows 10 [0] via Apple Boot Camp on a 2016 Macbook Pro. I have display [1] connected to my MBP over the certified TB3 cable. That display has a built-in USB Hub with USB-C ports. My Logi Bolt receiver is connected to the hub and a mouse and keyboard are paired...
  5. Prevent Windows from unpluging USB devices on sleep

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  6. Audio Driver preventing computer from sleep

Audio Driver preventing computer from sleep: My computer will not go into sleep mode on its own, although I can manually put it to sleep. powercfg -requests shows: [DRIVER] Creative Audigy Audio Processor WDM PCI\VEN_1102&DEV_0008&SUBSYS_10241102&REV_00\7&280829bf&0&000018000A An audio stream is currently in use....
  7. Preventing a computer from going to sleep

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Preventing a computer from going to sleep: With everyone working remotely, I worked hard to make sure that our computers at the office never went to sleep. There used to be separate sections on the Power and Sleep settings allowing you to tell the computer to never go to sleep. Well an update must have gone out and...
  8. Prevent Windows from putting USB speaker to sleep

Prevent Windows from putting USB speaker to sleep: I have a USB speaker connected to my Win 10 1903 18362.1016. What I experience is that if I play a sound on that USB speaker after it having been idle just the speaker for a while, the first half second or so of the sound is chopped off. If I play multiple sounds after the...
  9. USB Keyboard is Preventing Windows 10 from Sleeping

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    USB Keyboard is Preventing Windows 10 from Sleeping: I just replaced my Dell keyboard and mouse combo with a new Microsoft Wireless Desktop 900 PT3-00001. My PC immediately quite going to sleep. I tried multiple experiments such as changing the sleep time on my monitors to 1 minute. The monitors go to sleep after 1 minute and...
  10. Audio driver preventing computer from sleeping

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Audio driver preventing computer from sleeping: Hi there, I have an audio driver that is preventing my pc from going to sleep. When I run powercfg /requests it gives the following: DISPLAY: None. SYSTEM: [DRIVER] VIA HD Audio (HDAUDIO\FUNC_01&VEN_1106&DEV_0397&SUBSYS_1043836C&REV_1000\4&4ac9a6c&0&0001) An...