Windows 10: USB problems

Discus and support USB problems in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I'm having trouble with usb devices not showing up in windows explorer. I put in a thumb drive with data on it, but it's not in win explorer. I went to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by johnk51, Dec 30, 2015.

1. johnk51 Win User

USB problems

I'm having trouble with usb devices not showing up in windows explorer. I put in a thumb drive with data on it, but it's not in win explorer. I went to device manager and found the TD under disk drives. Also my external 3T G:\ disk drive is there. The thing is that my G: drive shows up twice in win explorer, once as a disk drive and the other as an expansion drive. I still can't see the TD. So how can I look at the drive or do anything with it. The light on it is on and the computer see's it, but no way to access it. I have the latest windows updates. I have all usb and hid unchecked for the computer to put them to sleep if not used, but that doesn't work. Any ideas?

:)

johnk51, Dec 30, 2015

2. start menu stopped working

Cannot get start menu to pop up. Worked till yesterday, now won't. Turned off computer and back on - still won't work

problems-problems, Dec 30, 2015
  3. USB to Mini USB problems.

Hi,

Thank you for posting in Microsoft Communities.

-What is the make and model of the laptop?

-Did to try connecting the device to a different USB Port.

I suggest you to follow the below steps and check if that helps.

Method 1:

Run Hardware and device trouble shooter.

Follow the steps to run the troubleshooter:

a. Press Windows key + W to search Settings.

b. Type “Troubleshoot” without quotes and click on Troubleshooting in the results displayed on the left side of the screen.

c. In the new window, click Hardware and Sound.

d. In the list of options, click on Hardware and Devices.

e. Click Next and follow the on-screen instructions.

Method 2:

Install the latest Chipset Driver from the manufacturer’s website.

Go to the manufacturer’s website, download and install the latest chipset drivers.

You can also refer to the following Microsoft article for more information.

Why isn't Windows finding my device?

1)
    http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-8/what-device-isnt-installed-properly

2)
    http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-8/why-isnt-windows-finding-device

(Applies to windows 10 as well)

Hope it helps

Reply us back with any issues with windows.

We will be glad to help.

Akheel Ahmed, Dec 30, 2015
  4. USB problems

Have you tried other ports or other flash drives?

Michaelvas17, Dec 31, 2015
  5. WHS
    whs Win User
    Does the TD have a drive letter.

6. b1rd Win User
    You might try and see if you can access it through Disk Management.

I'm wondering if it might need to be formatted again for some reason. When you run the disk management utility, Run > "devmgmt.msc", see if you can find that drive and look to see if it shows that it's "unallocated." If so, I think you'll need to reformat it.

See HERE for additional.

b1rd, Jan 1, 2016
  7. Not devmgmt.msc, diskmgmt.msc *Wink

Michaelvas17, Jan 1, 2016
  8. b1rd Win User

USB problems

Whoops- apologies.

b1rd, Jan 1, 2016
  9. johnk51 Win User
    Well when I did the diskmgmt.msc, I tried to format it and it told me to give it a drive letter. When I did, all the files showed up fine. I seem to have to run diskmgmt everytime I plug in an usb device except fo my mouse, keyboard, flight control stick and peddles, ms camera and printer. That is weird I all of a sudden have to do that. Any ideas?*Huh

johnk51, Jan 3, 2016
  10. b1rd Win User
    Are these same flash drives working fine on other computers? I would first try that to at least know if it's the flash drive or your system.

If it's in fact the flash drives, then I'd make sure you have it formatted correctly. From what I understand, if they are not, that can create these type of issues.

11. johnk51 Win User
    Yes, they work fine on my wife's computer. She has the same win 10 as I do. My dvd player doesn't show up until I put in a disk. Then it shows up. My flash drive does show up in devices & printers in the control panel, but not in windows explorer until I run diskmgmt. This is really goofy.

johnk51, Jan 3, 2016
  12. WHS
    whs Win User
    Disconnect all your flight stuff and see what happens.

13. b1rd Win User

USB problems

Hopefully somebody else will come up with another suggestion, as I only have a couple of other things to maybe try.

I might uninstall the drivers for what's being affected, re-boot and allow Windows to reload new drivers and see if that changes anything.

I don't know what your feelings are about using software to examine your drivers, but there's some free ones out there. Driver Booster Free might be an option, which I used in the past. I should note that IObit is not always looked upon favorably by some, but I have it installed and things seem to be fine on my end.

Also, perhaps running the System File Checker might offer something, but I sort of doubt it.

I'd take a look at System Restore and see if you have any good restoration points prior to when this all began. (If you happen to have a recent Windows Image, then perhaps load that if System Restore is not an option)

I'd look into preforming a repair reinstall, or look at Win-10's other recovery options.

Lastly, I'd consider a clean reinstall.

Again, hopefully it's something less involved. However, IMHO, sometimes it's just easier, and often quicker, to spend the day doing the install vs. spending many days chasing some of these problems.

-Fingers cross for a better solution-

14. johnk51 Win User
    Well, I went into the MB setup and made sure everything was setup and then windows did it's weekly update. Now it's all working. When I plug in a flash drive or a camera or sd card it gives it a drive letter, and I can access it like it should.

johnk51, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

USB problems

1. USB problems - Similar Threads - USB problems

2. HP USB X796w Backup Location Problem

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    HP USB X796w Backup Location Problem: I have a USB pendrive named x796w which is of 128GBWith USB 3.2, I have purchased it so that I could create a system image in it, bu when I go to Backup and RestoreWindows 7 and click on "create system image" option then I do not get my pendrive listed in that menu, all other...
  3. HP USB X796w Backup Location Problem

in Windows 10 Gaming
    HP USB X796w Backup Location Problem: I have a USB pendrive named x796w which is of 128GBWith USB 3.2, I have purchased it so that I could create a system image in it, bu when I go to Backup and RestoreWindows 7 and click on "create system image" option then I do not get my pendrive listed in that menu, all other...
  4. HP USB X796w Backup Location Problem

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. USB connection problem

in Windows 10 Gaming
    USB connection problem: I have two MIDI keyboards which I am trying to connect to a Windows 11 PC via a hub. One of them works but the other one does not.With the one that does not work, I have tried using a different cable; tried unplugging everything else. Tried adding a power supply otherwise it...
  6. USB connection problem

USB connection problem: I have two MIDI keyboards which I am trying to connect to a Windows 11 PC via a hub. One of them works but the other one does not.With the one that does not work, I have tried using a different cable; tried unplugging everything else. Tried adding a power supply otherwise it...
  7. a request for the usb device descriptor failed. code 43, how do you resolve this problem?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    a request for the usb device descriptor failed. code 43, how do you resolve this problem?: USB ports not functioning well https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/a-request-for-the-usb-device-descriptor-failed/5595a052-6caf-4111-953c-142d0cffa413
  8. a request for the usb device descriptor failed. code 43, how do you resolve this problem?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    a request for the usb device descriptor failed. code 43, how do you resolve this problem?: USB ports not functioning well https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/a-request-for-the-usb-device-descriptor-failed/5595a052-6caf-4111-953c-142d0cffa413
  9. a request for the usb device descriptor failed. code 43, how do you resolve this problem?

10. Problem with USB ports "Device not migrated" since last Windows Update 23H2

Problem with USB ports "Device not migrated" since last Windows Update 23H2: I'm writing this out of desperation after hours of trying to solve the problem.Since the 23H2 update, my USB ports no longer work properly. The problem is basically a power problem, because it recognizes the devices but is unable to make them work properly.When I look at the...