Windows 10: USB Recovery Drives/Images?

Discus and support USB Recovery Drives/Images? in Windows 10 Backup and Restore to solve the problem; Would like to create bootable USB drives with "Recovery Images" for multiple machines with varied history - Last supported Windows XP Pro. Original... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Backup and Restore' started by rljames, Dec 20, 2018.

1. rljames Win User

USB Recovery Drives/Images?

Would like to create bootable USB drives with "Recovery Images" for multiple machines with varied history -

• Last supported Windows XP Pro.
    • Original Windows 8.x upgraded to current Windows 10 Home.
    • Original and current Windows 10 Home.
    • Surface with Original and current 10 Home.
    Do each of these machines require a specific recovery configuration or will one "generic" Win XP Pro along with similar generic for Win 10 Home USB drive work? Also, in the event of actually needing to use these drives/images for recovery, will Windows Product Keys be needed for each?

:)

rljames, Dec 20, 2018

2. [HELP]Image recovery issues

Guys i am trying to fix my cousins Asus Eee netbook. It has a backup image file that is partitioned on the hard drive but when I go to use it the app will run through a few steps and stop. It is running Vista . Any suggestions?

Rapidfire48, Dec 20, 2018
  3. zbook Win User
    How to reformat USB Recovery Drive

Part of the commands and results were missing from the image.

Open adminstrative command prompt and type or copy and paste:
    diskpart
    list disk
    select disk #
    (replace # with the disk number for the flash drive)
    attributes disk clear readonly
    exit

If the above steps work then you are set.
    If the above steps fail then view this link for additional troubleshooting steps:
    How to Format Read-only USB Drive Successfully?

zbook, Dec 20, 2018
  4. wags1 Win User

How to reformat USB Recovery Drive

Thanks again for helping. Yes, I've found and tried those instructions prior to posting. Nothing seems to work. It is ridiculous that Windows basically trashes a perfectly good USB stick when it creates a recovery disk. Their should be a way to clear it off so you can use it again but I guess not. Probably going to just give up and toss it....they are cheap enough these days.

wags1, Dec 20, 2018
Thema:

1. USB Recovery Drives/Images? - Similar Threads - USB Recovery Drives

2. With system image on USB HDD, do I need a recovery drive on a thumb drive?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    With system image on USB HDD, do I need a recovery drive on a thumb drive?: I am using Windows 10.What is the difference in these two?I already have the complete image of C drive and system and boot partitions.In case of system failure, unable to boot, can I use that system image from the USB HDD to repair the installation or to reinstall the...
  3. With system image on USB HDD, do I need a recovery drive on a thumb drive?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    With system image on USB HDD, do I need a recovery drive on a thumb drive?: I am using Windows 10.What is the difference in these two?I already have the complete image of C drive and system and boot partitions.In case of system failure, unable to boot, can I use that system image from the USB HDD to repair the installation or to reinstall the...
  4. With system image on USB HDD, do I need a recovery drive on a thumb drive?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. USB Recovery Drive

USB Recovery Drive: I have an ACER computer that was updated from Windows 7 to 10 when the update was still free. The updates are up to date except for the 2H20. I was trying to make a USB Recovery Drive. I tried to follow the directions I could find on the web. After finding and opening...
  6. Recovery Flash Drive USB

Recovery Flash Drive USB: I am using a 128 GB flash drive as my Windows 10 recovery drive. It contains 2 folders EFI and sources and an XML document reagent. There are 26.2 GB free on the drive. Is it OK for me to create a folder named "Other Files" so I can use the free space on the flash drive for...
  7. usb recovery drive

usb recovery drive: have tried to re install windows 10 from usb recovery drive a number of times, reaches approx. 50% and fails. on entering command prompt window, have message that there is not enough disk space to complete command. I thought all files would be wiped from disk and new windows...
  8. Usb Recovery Drive

Usb Recovery Drive: Hi My pc won't boot and i create a usb recovery drive from my laptop. I plug the recovery flash drive to my pc and able to boot it up. I tried to access the system restore and it shows a couple of restore points. My question is does these restore points from my desktop...
  9. USB recovery drive

USB recovery drive: Windows 10 , create recovery drive, is requesting I insert at least a 32 gb usb drive yet when recovery drive is complete [with system files] windows only used 11 gb. This is not necessarily a problem except I have several extra 16 gb usb drives which I would like to use....
  10. 1 USB drive recovery & back up image solution wanted.

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    1 USB drive recovery & back up image solution wanted.: I got a 128GB USB drive to make a win10x64 recovery disk. When I started, the brand new empty drive had only 110GB free (not 128GB?). OK I only have about 34gb on the concerned laptop used. I made a Recovery disk from the MS windows 10 build- in tools. When it was done, it...