Windows 10: Usb recovery media failed

Discus and support Usb recovery media failed in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I noticed I had alot of hard disk bad block errors in the event viewer so I ran the check disk tool but when the pc rebooted I got a blue screen with... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by curious7474, Jul 24, 2020.

1. Usb recovery media failed

I noticed I had alot of hard disk bad block errors in the event viewer so I ran the check disk tool but when the pc rebooted I got a blue screen with ntfs error. Everytime the pc rebooted that bsod came up. I tried booting from the usb recovery I created and tried start up repair but got the msg that my pc cannot be repaired. I tried the command prompt to run sfc an error there as well. So I eventually tried using the recovery option to just delete my files and reinstall windows 10 I have/had windows 10 pro. First it fave me an error and 3%. I tried it again it got to 6% another failed error. I tried it again it got to 10% another error. Now though I can see my SATA drive in BIOS. If I try to boot normally. I get the error that a hard drive is not detected so I can only use the usb option for the recovery options which are nit working. I did alot of research and tried creating a copy of the bcdedit things but even that is failing. Again this morning Im trying to reinstall widows with the recovwry usb so far its at 6% but I expect another error soon. Is there any hope? What can I do or what am I doing wrong? I do not have an installation cd and I know my drive is failing or failed. I run Windows 10 Pro. AMD Sempron 140 Processor 2.7Ghz 32bit 4Gb RAM. Type =x86 based. System model MS7309. BIOS version American Megatrends IncV 9.u. BIOS mode = Legacy

:)

curious7474, Jul 24, 2020

2. BSOD Recovery Media Fails

Hi,

This issue might have occurred when the boot files are missing or corrupted.

I suggest you re-built the boot record by following the below commands and check if it helps.

You will have to use Windows 10 installation media to follow the steps to boot into Recovery Environment and try to rebuild BCD.

Step 1: I suggest you to create an installation media for
    Windows 10 using the media creation tool:

Installing Windows 10 using the media creation tool

Step 2: After preparing the installation media, insert it hard reboot the device and follow the below:

• Boot into Windows Recovery Environment using the Windows 10 installation media.
    • Click on Repair your computer.
    • Click on Troubleshoot and in the Advanced options.
    • Select Command Prompt. Type the following commands into the prompt and press Enter key after each command.
      • bootrec /fixmbr
      • bootrec /fixboot
      • bootrec /scanos
      • bootrec /rebuildbcd
    5. Restart the computer.

NOTE: Modifying BIOS/ complementary metal oxide semiconductor (CMOS) settings incorrectly can cause serious problems that may prevent your computer from booting properly. Microsoft
    cannot guarantee that any problems resulting from the configuring of BIOS/CMOS settings can be solved. Modifications of the settings are at your own risk.

Hope it helps. Reply to the post with an updated status of this issue for further assistance.

Anup Karkal, Jul 27, 2020
  3. Bree Win User
    Windows 10 recovery USB - which size???

Not even that. What creating a recovery drive does (if you select 'include system files') is to construct the files required to clean install Windows. If this is made on an OEM install these file will include the OEM custom apps and drivers - effectively a 'factory reset' drive. It is extracting an install image from your existing system files that takes the time.

The steps in making a recovery drive are shown in this tutorial...

Create Recovery Drive in Windows 10 | Tutorials

• first you choose whether or not to include system files (step 5 in tutorial)
    • next the recovery drive files are constructed (this can take a long time if you include system files)
    • only after that is complete will you be asked which usb to use (step 6 in tutorial). At this point you will be told how large a usb you need.

Without system files 512 Mb is sufficient. Including system files it will be just over 4GB.

At which step did you get the error? If you were not asked which usb to use then it was the construction of the system files that failed, nothing to do with what usb you had.

4. Usb recovery media failed

Cannot create recovery drive or bootable usb using media creation tool

Hi Stuart,

To assist you better with your concern, are you getting an error message upon creating a recovery drive, as well as creating a bootable USB drive? If yes, what's the error message?

In addition to that, have you tried the steps from the following articles:

Regards.

Marque Lor, Jul 27, 2020
Thema:

Usb recovery media failed

1. Usb recovery media failed - Similar Threads - Usb recovery media

2. USB Recovery Drive creation failed

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    USB Recovery Drive creation failed: Hi, I have - Windows 11 Home Single Language,- Version 21H2, - OS Build 22000.1281,- Experience Windows Feature Experience Pack 1000.22000.1281.0- Installed on HP Pavilion 15' dk0043TX Laptop.I have error when creating USB recovery drive when I checked Option "Backup system...
  3. BIOS USB Recovery creation fails

in Windows 10 Gaming
    BIOS USB Recovery creation fails: Windows 11 HP Desktop AMD 2021 Model # S01-aF0134z. The BIOS has failed. I am using a secondary PC to create a HP BIOS USB Recovery stick, but it is not working. I downloaded the BIOS update .exe file from HP website, using the serial number of the HP Desktop. When I open...
  4. BIOS USB Recovery creation fails

BIOS USB Recovery creation fails: Windows 11 HP Desktop AMD 2021 Model # S01-aF0134z. The BIOS has failed. I am using a secondary PC to create a HP BIOS USB Recovery stick, but it is not working. I downloaded the BIOS update .exe file from HP website, using the serial number of the HP Desktop. When I open...
  5. USB Stick Recovery Media vs Installation Media

in Windows 10 Gaming
    USB Stick Recovery Media vs Installation Media: In case Windows 10 Pro OS problematic Can be repaired with USB Stick CreateRecovery USB Stick Windows 10 Pro Or createInstallation media usb stick…?If both can help, When use the first and when the second…?...
  6. USB Stick Recovery Media vs Installation Media

USB Stick Recovery Media vs Installation Media: In case Windows 10 Pro OS problematic Can be repaired with USB Stick CreateRecovery USB Stick Windows 10 Pro Or createInstallation media usb stick…?If both can help, When use the first and when the second…?...
  7. USB Stick Recovery Media vs Installation Media

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  8. Windows 10 USB recovery failed

Windows 10 USB recovery failed: After the recent windows 10 2004 update build 19041.450, i was experiencing major FPS drops in games. So i decided to reset my laptop and but it failed, it gave me an error. So i connected my USB recovery drive which i created and tried to recover windows, but it keeps...
  9. Lenovo USB Recovery Media

Lenovo USB Recovery Media: Hi I accidentally deleted the OKR Recovery partition on my lenovo ideapad 500s laptop. I bought USB Recovery from Lenovo service. When I install Recovery via USB, windows 10 is installing the old version. The USB install.wim file is encrypted. How can I add new version...
  10. USB after downloading media recovery

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    USB after downloading media recovery: I used the USB and I was wondering is there a way to reuse it because when i plug it in my laptop I dont see it https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/usb-after-downloading-media-recovery/e9809944-2997-41f4-a488-fb391c16b6b9