Windows 10: USB reinstall win10 Fails, bad HDD? CPU?? Repairing friends laptop

Discus and support USB reinstall win10 Fails, bad HDD? CPU?? Repairing friends laptop in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; Hello! Heres the short version: I am attempting to reinstall win10 via USB on a machine stuck inWindows Automatic Repair Loop. The reinstall fails and... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by BR1o28, May 19, 2020.

1. BR1o28 Win User

USB reinstall win10 Fails, bad HDD? CPU?? Repairing friends laptop

Hello! Heres the short version: I am attempting to reinstall win10 via USB on a machine stuck inWindows Automatic Repair Loop. The reinstall fails and I am wondering if that is confirmation of abad HDD or if some other thing could be the culprit.

Longer Version: I have amateur experience replacing dead componentsbatteries, CPU's, fans, screens in laptops for friends/family. I am hoping all I need here is a new HDD but I wanted to double check with you folks since I still don't really know what I'm doing. Note: I don't have spare parts to test with :/ I wish I did because that'd make this really easy.

I think I have isolated the HDD as the issue since:

1 The laptop powers on

2 I can get to BIOS

3 Windows attempts repairs and has confirmed via CLI; there's a "Drive Error" that "Could not be fixed"

4 I cannot reinstall windows via Removable Media

-I can go through the entire process and it seems to finish. BUT when the laptop restarts at the end of the install, I'm back the start of the install screen like nothing happened.

Do I need to replace HDD or does this seem like something else?

:)

BR1o28, May 19, 2020
  2. JayTeeHam Win User

Reinstalling Win10 On New Hard Drive, current hdd is failing and i need to replace.

Reinstalling Win10 On New Hard Drive, current hdd is failing and i need to replace fast! Backup and restore misses several key files so can't transfer to new hdd.

I need to reinstall my winOS on a new hdd, current hard drive is failing fast! I bought Win8, upgraded to 8.1 free, then 10 free. I can't find Win 10 Product Key Only Product ID Listed In SysInfo.

Can I download Win10 for free somewhere, and locate the Product Key to install for free, or do I have to buy the complete WinOS 10 Pro to the tune of $200!!!? Help Please! Thanks so much!

JayTeeHam, May 19, 2020
  3. HDD Bad Sector

Hi Nataniel!

I am not sure what your question is exactly, but one thing I'd recommend for sure will be to look for a replacement drive since there is already a bad sector on your current one.

Basically there are two kinds of bad sectors - hardware and software:

• Hardware ones are caused by physical damage or becoming magnetically fixed, and they are unrepairable. In short, once they appear it's only a matter of time (no way to say how long) until the HDD fails.
    • Software bad sectors on the other hand occur when something called an Error Correction Code (ECC) doesn't match the contents of the hard drive. These can be repaired by overwriting the data on the drive with zeroes (a.k.a. low level formatting) and sometimes
      by running a **chkdsk [write the letter of the drive:] /r** in the CMD.

As for getting the information from the drive if one of the partitions fail, most likely you won't be able to, which is why I'd suggest to make a regular backup of your most important data.

Hope this helps and feel free to ask any questions you may have.

MightyMiro_WD, May 19, 2020
  4. goro_k Win User

An HDD with Windows 10 connected to another machine won't boot when inserted back into the original machine

Hi, thanks for the response.

• No changes were made to the machine. It can be a working win10 laptop, I just extract its HDD and plug it into another win10 machine to test it, and after reinstalling it into the laptop it can stop booting up.
    • I tried startup repair - fail. Chkdsk - no errors found. Bcd repair fails, too.
    • It's happened a couple of times already.
    • Around one year ago.
    • The OS fails to boot up and goes straight to startup repair. Then it says that it could not perform startup repair. Unfortunately, I cannot provide a screenshot, but I will if I have a chance.
    • The machines might not have the same build, I didn't check, but I think it has happened both with HDDs with the same build of win10 and different builds.
    Thanks.

goro_k, May 19, 2020
Thema:

1. USB reinstall win10 Fails, bad HDD? CPU?? Repairing friends laptop - Similar Threads - USB reinstall win10

2. How to repair bad sectors of hdd ?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    How to repair bad sectors of hdd ?: How to repair bad sectors of hard disks in Windows 10 ? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-repair-bad-sectors-of-hdd/43da372e-56e9-47aa-890e-af262706fde0
  3. Clean reinstalling win10 (USB)

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Clean reinstalling win10 (USB): Hi there. So I'm reinstalling windows because I'm fearing that I might have some sort of malware, and well I'd like a clean start on my PC either way. I've installed windows 10 on a USB drive, and I'm now more or less ready to start the process, but then it hit me, do I have...
  4. HDD is about to fail, bad sectors...

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    HDD is about to fail, bad sectors...: So I have a problem with my HDD (Seagate Barracuda 2TB st2000dm008 7200 RPM) that I bought in May 2020, I've been using it since then, and when I checked it's health in HD sentinel and other programs it showed %4 health like on this screen: [ATTACH] I currently have no...
  5. Failing USB port or Bad Driver

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Failing USB port or Bad Driver: Hey guys, I just recently started having an issue where one of my USB ports will consistently connect and disconnect. This only started happening within the last few days and the only update I've made is updating my GPU drivers for the 30 series launch. I'm saying its the...
  6. Bad HDD

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Bad HDD: Years ago I had a tool called "WD CLEAR". It would format almost anything. I need to format a hard drive installed in a laptop so I can reinstall Windows. Any suggestions appreciated 164299
  7. Repair Win10 laptop system by USB-booting

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Repair Win10 laptop system by USB-booting: I fail to repair Win10 on my Lenovo ThinkPad by booting it with a USB. I ran "sfc /scannow /offbootdir=C:\ /offwindir=C:\windows", and the results show that "Windows Resource Protection did not find any integrity violations". After that, I clicked Startup Repair...
  8. Repair Win10 by booting it with a USB

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Repair Win10 by booting it with a USB: I fail to repair Win10 on my Lenovo ThinkPad by booting it with a USB. I ran "sfc /scannow /offbootdir=C:\ /offwindir=C:\windows", and the results show that "Windows Resource Protection did not find any integrity violations". After that, I clicked Startup Repair...
  9. Bad Sectors on HDD and SSD: Introduction and Repairing

in Windows 10 News
    Bad Sectors on HDD and SSD: Introduction and Repairing: [ATTACH]Before understanding Bad Sectors and how to repair bad sectors, you should know about sectors and what they do. This post explains sectors, bad sectors, […] This article Bad Sectors on HDD and SSD: Introduction and Repairing first appeared on TheWindowsClub.com....
  10. Bad blocks on Toshiba HDD & Win10 OS probs

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Bad blocks on Toshiba HDD & Win10 OS probs: My 2 year old Toshiba notebook started taking 5 - 10 minutes to boot last week. The Windows 10 system log file reports dozens of Harddisk0\DR0 bad blocks. After the system boots the Windows menu doesn't open, though its context menu does. Programs launch from the taskbar,...