Windows 10: USB resets intermittently playing through audio device

Discus and support USB resets intermittently playing through audio device in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Summary: I am using a Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 as my audio output device. It connects to my Windows 10 machine via USB. It appears that the USB... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by RobertPoor, Dec 22, 2019.

1. USB resets intermittently playing through audio device

Summary:

I am using a Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 as my audio output device. It connects to my Windows 10 machine via USB. It appears that the USB connection is sporadically getting interrupted or falling off for some reason. Is this a known problem? And if so, is there a known fix?

Environment:

Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 1st gen
    Windows 10 Pro v 1903, build 18362.535
    Focusrite Driver: 4.63.24.564

Problem:

Sporadically, audio playback stops, my speakers go "ka-thump" and I get a "Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 1st gen" growl-style announcement appears on the screen as the USB device re-connects. Then audio playback resumes. As a side effect, my music player skips to the next song, but I don't consider that germane to debugging the problem.

Additional Info:

I've been monitoring the Event Viewer, and as far as I can tell, this message appears whenever the USB reset happens:

The machine-default permission settings do not grant Local Activation permission for the COM Server application with CLSID
    {C2F03A33-21F5-47FA-B4BB-156362A2F239}
    and APPID
    {316CDED5-E4AE-4B15-9113-7055D84DCC97}
    to the user NUC-10\luser SID S-1-5-21-536779190-3799164095-2931312429-1002 from address LocalHost Using LRPC running in the application container Microsoft.Windows.ShellExperienceHost_10.0.18362.449_neutral_neutral_cw5n1h2txyewy SID S-1-15-2-155514346-2573954481-755741238-1654018636-1233331829-3075935687-2861478708. This security permission can be modified using the Component Services administrative tool.

:)

RobertPoor, Dec 22, 2019
  2. Jessen P Win User

Problem with audio devices

Hi Marcello,

I appreciate you for trying some steps in order to get the issue resolved.

If you're connecting to an audio device using USB or HDMI, you might need to set that device as the default.

Open Start, enter Sound, select it from the list of results, and then, on the
    Playback tab, select a device, then Set Default.

I would also suggest you to turn off Audio enhancements.

• Go to Start, enter Sound, and select Sound Control Panel
      from the list of results.

• On the Playback tab, right-click (or tap and hold) the
      Default Device and select Properties.

• On the Enhancements tab, select the Disable all enhancements
      check box and try to play your audio device.

• If that doesn't work, select Cancel and, on the Playback
      tab, select another default device (if you have one), select the Disable all enhancements check box, and try to play audio again. Do this for each default device.
    Please revert if you face any issues with Audio.

Thank you.

Jessen P, Dec 22, 2019
  3. USB audio device stops playing audio

Hi all,

I have an external amplifier for my speakers/headphones ( a NAD D3020 ) and after upgrading my Win 7 system to Win 10 recently, I have started seeing an issue where after a certain amount of time, the audio from the amplifier simply stops working over USB.

Essentially, from a clean start. if I'm playing a game, after about 10-15 minutes the audio will suddenly mute.

If it's video, it takes about an hour before this happens (sometimes much sooner)

If it's music, it's rare.

Once the audio has stopped, there are some interesting notes;

* muting/unmuting or changing volume does nothing

* absolutely no app in Windows or even Windows itself is able to generate sounds

* opening a video in Films & TV app for instance, the video plays at 1FPS, no audio. Other video apps act strangely too

* Windows Media Player when asked to play audio will attempt to load the file/start playing, and never actually start

* Windows still sees the amp as connected and working, despite the issues mentioned

* the NAD amp remains responsive to other input sources (only USB is muted)

Cycling the power on the amp itself, or disconnecting and reconnecting the USB cable will temporarily solve the issue, but the issue will re-occur again within 2-3 minutes after the initial occurrence.

After speaking with the amp manufacturer, I have cleaned all associated drivers, performed a firmware upgrade on the amp, tried different USB ports/hubs (USB 2 and 3), tried the proprietary USB driver and the generic Windows USB audio driver, updated Windows
    10 to the latest build, performed a factory reset, disabled enhancements for the USB device in Windows, and many more things. These have had no effect on the issue.

I have also sourced a different USB 1 audio device (a headphone amp) which does not exhibit these issues at all.

Has anyone any suggestions on what else I can try at this point?

Deepspacemillar, Dec 22, 2019
  4. USB resets intermittently playing through audio device

Intermittent audio with Windows 10

Hi Larry,

Thank you for posting in Microsoft Community, we appreciate your interest in Windows 10.

As you facing issues with sound in iTunes, do let us know the following to assist you better:

• Is this issue specific only to iTunes and particular file?
    • Are you facing any issues with sound in operating system?
    • What exactly do you mean by reloaded iTunes?

As a basic troubleshooting step, I suggest you to
    Run Playing Audio Troubleshooter.

This troubleshooter is an automated Windows 10 in-built tool which finds and fixes the common issues with the playing audio on your device.

Steps:

• Press Windows key from the keyboard, type
      Troubleshooting and select it.
    • Click on View all in the left pane of the window and click on
      Playing Audio.
    • Follow the On-screen instructions.

For further reference:Fix sound problems

Hope it helps. Reply to the post with an updated status of this issue and required information to assist you further.

Deepika Gowda, Dec 22, 2019
Thema:

USB resets intermittently playing through audio device

1. USB resets intermittently playing through audio device - Similar Threads - USB resets intermittently

2. sound will not play through speakers or any audio jack device

in Windows 10 Gaming
    sound will not play through speakers or any audio jack device: I've followed many steps online on how to fix the issue and im starting to go into a panic.nothing works as the title says https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/sound-will-not-play-through-speakers-or-any-audio/a2c5fbcb-4f07-486d-9ba8-e93708664a12
  3. sound will not play through speakers or any audio jack device

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    sound will not play through speakers or any audio jack device: I've followed many steps online on how to fix the issue and im starting to go into a panic.nothing works as the title says https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/sound-will-not-play-through-speakers-or-any-audio/a2c5fbcb-4f07-486d-9ba8-e93708664a12
  4. Output Audio Playing Through Input Audio

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Output Audio Playing Through Input Audio: I've been having a problem where any audio played through my headset also gets output through my microphone. I've tried testing audio from multiple sources and outputting it to multiple sources, but the problem always persists. It looks like an issue with Windows...
  5. audio playing through mic?

audio playing through mic?: okay so discord is picking up any audio i play. youtube, games, notification noises. they all go through and people in voice calls can hear. I've tried updating drivers, disabling stereo mix. nothing helps. this only happens when I use my headset. it doesn't happen if I just...
  6. Itunes music playing through speakers not through connected audio devices?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Itunes music playing through speakers not through connected audio devices?: I recently got a windows pc and downloaded iTunes because I have the subscription. I connected a pair of wired headphones to my pc and played a song from my library tab and I came out of the speakers. Any other sounds that are from the internet or the sound tests came out...
  7. Playing Audio through 2 devices at once?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Playing Audio through 2 devices at once?: Hi peeps, ive upgraded my headset recently and now i face this issue: before i was using a Sennheiser USB Dongle for sound (3,5mm audio out, 3,5mm mic in), then i split the audio out with a 3,5mm splitter to have playback both on my headset and on my stereo system, which...
  8. Play sound through 2 usb devices

in Windows 10 Customization
    Play sound through 2 usb devices: Hello, i was wondering if I am able to play sound through 2 different usb headsets. I know you can do it with the default computer sound source and a headset. But I'm looking to have sound coming through 2 separate headsets. The stereo mix setting only allows for a head jack...
  9. Computer is playing beeping through audio devices

Computer is playing beeping through audio devices: So, every few days or so just out of random the computer will begin playing beeping noises, not from startup however from either the speakers or the headphones. Oddly enough these consist of different kinds of chimes, some occurring during the night close to 5 am, sometimes...
  10. Audio playing through microphone

Audio playing through microphone: All of my audio is playing through my microphone on discord, teamspeak, game chat etc. and I can't seem to fix it. Its not my microphone because when I mute my mic on my headset the audio still plays. I have tried disabling all of the other audio devices besides my headset...