Windows 10: USB serial missing

Discus and support USB serial missing in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; After a win 10 upgrade my com ports vanished. How do I get them back? Computer is a Dell Laptop R17 5720 OS is Windows 10 pro Version 10.0.18363... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by K5LEH, Apr 28, 2020.

1. K5LEH Win User

USB serial missing

After a win 10 upgrade my com ports vanished. How do I get them back?

Computer is a Dell Laptop R17 5720

OS is Windows 10 pro Version 10.0.18363 Build 18363

Intel 7 c216 USB chipset

USB Serial converter does not show in device manager show hidden selected

Updating all drivers did not fix it

Trying to install generic results in configuration errors

New OS install did not fix it

All other USB functions seem to work.

Any help would be appreciated.

:)

K5LEH, Apr 28, 2020

2. Windows 10 serial on OEM

So I'll summarize steps made...

1. Saved serial number (taken with Belarc Advisory) from preinstalled (half chinese language) Windows 8.1 (don't know exactly the version, suspect Windows 8.1 with bing) on tablet
    2. Formatted tablet
    3. Tried to make a clean Windows 10 (HOME, HOME N and also PRO, everytime with the same result) install with ISO taken with MediaCreationTool, during install (and also after completing installation) it says that the saved serial is not valid
    4. Tried to reinstall Windows 8.1 (ISO taken with MediaCreationTool again) HOME, it says that the serial is not valid

So i suspect that the saved serial, is from a WINDOWS 8.1 WITH BING OEM version and this kind of ISO is not accessible/downloadable anywhere (at least I can't find it, any suggestion?)

Still not tried SHOWKEY with that serial, I am in office now, and the serial is saved on a usb pen at home, will try this evening.

So I'm stucked but if everything is like I suspect, it's incredible. If I have a tablet/notebook/netbook with Windows 8 preinstalled, it seems that I can update to Windows 10 without problems, but if I want to make a clean Windows 10 install that serial is not valid...

CapitanCatarro, Apr 28, 2020
  3. When starting computer Renesas USB 3.0 eXtensible Host Controller - 0.96 (Microsoft) and USB 3.0 root hub missing from device manager

Hi,

Since you've mentioned that the USB 3.0 doesn't appear in the Device Manager window. We recommend that you check the BIOS settings your device if the USB 3.0 is enabled. If you've already checked the BIOS settings and found out that it is enabled, we suggest
    that you follow these steps:

• Open Device Manager.
    • Under the View tab, click Show hidden devices.
    • Check Universal Serial Bus controllers if it will show the missing items.

This will show all the hidden devices under Device Manager.

We'll be waiting for your response.

Kristoffer Abs, Apr 28, 2020
  4. USB serial missing

windows problems with usb mic

Hi Dave,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community.

I suggest you to run the Hardware Troubleshooter by following the steps provided below and check if the issue persists.

Method 1:

• Type “Troubleshooting” on the search bar.

• Click on troubleshooting, then click on “Hardware and sound”.

• Under Hardware and sound, click on “hardware and devices”.

• A pop-up will appear, click on the “Next” button and your hardware troubleshooting will start.
    Method 2: Disable and re-enable all the
    Universal Serial Bus controllers (USB) controllers.

The USB controllers represent the USB ports in Device Manager.

To disable and re-enable the USB controllers, follow these steps:

• Press Windows key + X, Click on
      Device Manager

• Expand Universal Serial Bus controllers.

• Right-click the first USB controller under Universal Serial Bus controllers, and then click
      Uninstall to remove it.

• Repeat the above step for each USB controller that is listed under Universal Serial Bus controllers.

• Restart the computer. After the computer starts, Windows will automatically scan for hardware changes and reinstall all the USB controllers that you uninstalled.
    Regards.

SujataMoktan, Apr 28, 2020
Thema:

USB serial missing

1. USB serial missing - Similar Threads - USB serial missing

2. USB to Serial Issue

in Windows 10 Gaming
    USB to Serial Issue: I have a similar issue to a previous one discussed - I have a few handheld radios that I need to update the frequencies and when I connect to the USB, it fails to connect. In device manager and Ports it says - "Please install corresponding PL2303 driver to support Windows 11...
  3. USB to Serial Issue

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    USB to Serial Issue: I have a similar issue to a previous one discussed - I have a few handheld radios that I need to update the frequencies and when I connect to the USB, it fails to connect. In device manager and Ports it says - "Please install corresponding PL2303 driver to support Windows 11...
  4. Serial to usb driver

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Serial to usb driver: hello everyone.I need help.I am using a serial to usb cable between a modbus slave device and my computer.I want to configure the usb port on my computer but cannot find it under device manager.My computer is running windows 10.Do I need to install a multiport serial driver...
  5. Serial to usb driver

Serial to usb driver: hello everyone.I need help.I am using a serial to usb cable between a modbus slave device and my computer.I want to configure the usb port on my computer but cannot find it under device manager.My computer is running windows 10.Do I need to install a multiport serial driver...
  6. Serial to usb driver

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  7. USB-SERIAL FAILED

in Windows 10 Gaming
    USB-SERIAL FAILED: Hello, as developer i use often serial devices via USB after w11 an massiv problem comes all 3 day's back .For some Serial Devices on Industrial USB-HUB i can see that often, the ports are already listet, but not anymore connectable like blocked.The old Win XP Driver is...
  8. USB-SERIAL FAILED

USB-SERIAL FAILED: Hello, as developer i use often serial devices via USB after w11 an massiv problem comes all 3 day's back .For some Serial Devices on Industrial USB-HUB i can see that often, the ports are already listet, but not anymore connectable like blocked.The old Win XP Driver is...
  9. USB Serial Port driver clash in Serial controllers

USB Serial Port driver clash in Serial controllers: my FTDI driver for usb serial converter creates a COM port but when i install a different driver for my casio CESG in serial controllers the COM port becomes hidden, and message with this hardware device is not connected to the computer. Code 45 I had this working once too!...
  10. Prolific USB-Serial

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Prolific USB-Serial: I've previously had this working on my system but, for whatever reason, it's no longer being recognised by my mapping software when I attempt to transfer routes to my GPS. As you can see the driver is installed but with an exclamation mark to indicate a problem....

Users found this page by searching for:

1. joy it usb to serial driver windows 10

2. usb serial converter missing