Windows 10: USB shared over network perm error

Discus and support USB shared over network perm error in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I am having issues with sharing a HDD over the network. I'd prefer not to use a NAS since I am trying to save the company I am doing this for some... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Nathan Peterson1, May 25, 2023.

1. USB shared over network perm error

I am having issues with sharing a HDD over the network. I'd prefer not to use a NAS since I am trying to save the company I am doing this for some money. My goal is to use the drive as a backup for the other computers on the network, but the program that I am using keeps giving an error saying that the device does not have the read/write permissions or is disabled. I've looked at the perms and have set it to read/write to everyone. All the other files work fine when shared and the program has no issue writing to them, it is just that drive and any USB drives that give this error.

:)

Nathan Peterson1, May 25, 2023

2. Cannot access shared network drive

I could scream! so much time wasted on this stupid error, as if time is not precious enough!
    It probably would work fine if I could see the other computer! But I cannot see the other computer!

sharonspost, May 25, 2023
  3. sharing a usb printer without sharing files

Hi,

Thank you for visiting Microsoft Community.

If other USB devices are working and only USB printer is not working then I would suggest you to try the steps provided in the article/threads mentioned below and see if it helps.

Error "0x0000052e" Appears When You Try to Install a Network
    Printer in Windows 7

Error message when you try to install a network printer in Windows 7: "0x0000052e"

windows 8.1 and sharing a printer hardwired to a windows 2000 desktop

If other USB devices are also not working then Then the issue may arise if the currently loaded USB driver has become unstable or corrupt or if your PC requires an update for issues that may conflict with a USB device and
    Windows. This may also occur if your USB controllers may have become unstable or corrupt. So, I would suggest you to try the following steps and check if the issue persists.

Method 1:

Remove and reinstall all USB controllers.

• Open Device Manager by pressing Windows key + X and select
      device manager from the list. If you're prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.
    • In the list of hardware categories, find and expand Universal Serial Bus controllers.
    • Right-click every device under the Universal Serial Bus controllers node, and then click
      Uninstall to remove them one at a time.
    • Restart the computer, and let the USB controllers get reinstalled.
    • Plug in the removable USB device, and then test to make sure that the issue is resolved.

Method 2

The issue could be if the drivers are not updated or get corrupted. So, try to install all of the Windows updates available and if issue persists, try to update the USB
    and mouse drivers by following the steps provided in the article mentioned below.

How to: Install and Update drivers in Windows

If issue still persists, then install the drivers for Windows 8/8.1 from the manufacturer's website in compatibility mode and check if that works.

Make older programs compatible with this version of Windows

Make older apps or programs compatible with Windows - Microsoft Support

Reference:

Fix Wi-Fi connection issues in Windows - Microsoft Support

Method 3

If issue persists try the steps provided to uninstall the USB device from Device Manager, uninstall the device drivers from program list and then download the latest drivers from the manufacturer's website.

Step 1:

Uninstall the Device from Device Manager

• Open Device Manger by clicking on Windows key + X and selecting
      Device manager from the list.
    • Expand the USB section.
    • Find the USB device.
    • Right click USB and select Uninstall.
    • Select the check box delete the driver software for this device.
    • Reboot the computer after uninstall process has finished.

Step 2:

Uninstall the Device Drivers from Program List in Control Panel

• Click on start, select Control Panel
    • Now click on Programs and select Programs and Features.
    • Find the USB.
    • Right click USB driver and select Uninstall.
    • Reboot the computer after the uninstall process has finished.

Step 3:

Download and install the latest drivers for the USB from the manufacturer website

Hope this would help. If issue still persists post back with current status of your computer and result of proposed suggestion, we will be happy to assist you.

Regards,

Ramesh.Kumar, May 25, 2023
  4. Mithin_EJ Win User

USB shared over network perm error

Error 0x80004005 when attempting to access Network share

Hi djeyewater,

Thank you for posting your question in the Microsoft Community.

I understand that it can get difficult at times when your network Share. Accessing shared folders or network locations in Windows is never easy. Whether you’re at home or at work, sharing resources is always more complicated than
    it should be. As classic example is the ‘Windows cannot access computer 0x80004005’ error. However, I recommend you to follow the below steps.

1. Is that computer connected with the domain network?
    2. Were there any changes made to the operating system recently?
    3. Do you have any security software installed on the computer?
    If you open File Explorer, go to
    Network, and see an error message ("Network discovery is turned off…."), you'll need to turn on Network discovery to see devices on the network that are sharing files. I suggest you to follow the below steps.

We can go ahead and try to enable the Network Discovery from Advanced Sharing Settings.

Step 1: Turn on or off Network Discovery in Windows 10.

1. Type network in the search box and choose Network and Sharing Center in the list to open it.
    2. Select Change advanced sharing settings to move on.
    3. Choose Turn on network discovery
      or Turn off network discovery in the settings, and tap
      Save changes.

Step 2: Check if the feature is enabled.

1. Open Control Panel.
    2. Then click on all Control Panel Items.
    3. Then click on Programs and features.
    4. Then on the left hand side, click on Turn Windows features on or off.
    5. Windows Feature box will open. Please scroll down and under SMB 1.0 CIFS File Sharing Support, check the boxes next to SMB 1.0/CIFS Client and SMB 1.0/ CIFS Server. If the boxes are already ticked, please unchecked the box and check
      it again.
    6. It will ask you to restart your Computer. Please Restart it.

Step 3: Check if all the required services are running.

1. Now we will need to check four services.

2. Press Windows key + R to open Run. Then type "Services.msc" in the run box and hit enter.

The names of the services which you will need to check are:

• Function Discovery Provide Host.
    • Function Discovery Resource Publication.
    • SSDP Discovery.
    • UPnP Device Host.
    • Also Check for DHCP Client and DNS Client.
    4. Right click on the above services and then go to properties.

5. Under General tab, make sure that the Startup type is automatic and Service status is running.

6. Then go to recovery tab and change all the entries (next to 1st failure, 2nd failure and Subsequent failure) to Restart the Service.

I also recommend you to follow this article
    Changes to file sharing over a network
    in Windows 10.

Hope it helps,

Let us know if you got the help you needed by clicking Yes Or No.

Mithin_EJ, May 25, 2023
Thema:

USB shared over network perm error

1. USB shared over network perm error - Similar Threads - USB shared network

2. USB shared over network perm error

in Windows 10 Gaming
    USB shared over network perm error: I am having issues with sharing a HDD over the network. I'd prefer not to use a NAS since I am trying to save the company I am doing this for some money. My goal is to use the drive as a backup for the other computers on the network, but the program that I am using keeps...
  3. USB shared over network perm error

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    USB shared over network perm error: I am having issues with sharing a HDD over the network. I'd prefer not to use a NAS since I am trying to save the company I am doing this for some money. My goal is to use the drive as a backup for the other computers on the network, but the program that I am using keeps...
  4. How to share USB License Dongle over network?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to share USB License Dongle over network?: How do you share a USB License/Security Dongle, over a network? So that PC-1 has a Security USB Dongle License connected to it and I would like PC-2, PC-3, PC-4, to all be able to access the license on the Dongle that is connected to PC-1.The dongle only includes 1 license,...
  5. How to share USB License Dongle over network?

How to share USB License Dongle over network?: How do you share a USB License/Security Dongle, over a network? So that PC-1 has a Security USB Dongle License connected to it and I would like PC-2, PC-3, PC-4, to all be able to access the license on the Dongle that is connected to PC-1.The dongle only includes 1 license,...
  6. How to share USB License Dongle over network?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  7. Share Folders over network

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Share Folders over network: How do I prevent two or more persons to open the same file simultaneously on a share folder between computers. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/share-folders-over-network/ec7229cb-8df6-4c92-ba1b-ff860c0fecfe
  8. usb perms

in Windows 10 Gaming
    usb perms: i have a quest 2 and i want to send thigs to it but accidently made it to ware i can only send photos in the heat of the moment and i am regreting it but i need to know how to change the permissions on my quest so i can send apps and more over....
  9. usb perms

usb perms: i have a quest 2 and i want to send thigs to it but accidently made it to ware i can only send photos in the heat of the moment and i am regreting it but i need to know how to change the permissions on my quest so i can send apps and more over....
  10. usb perms

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware