Windows 10: USB Smart Card Reader Stops Working After Reboot - Not Hardware Related

Discus and support USB Smart Card Reader Stops Working After Reboot - Not Hardware Related in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; I have a smart card reader (SCR3310) that stops doing much of anything any time I reboot my computer. Essentially, after a reboot, the card reader just... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/cowmu, Feb 12, 2021.

1. /u/cowmu Win User

USB Smart Card Reader Stops Working After Reboot - Not Hardware Related

I have a smart card reader (SCR3310) that stops doing much of anything any time I reboot my computer. Essentially, after a reboot, the card reader just won't detect any smart cards. It may also be worth noting that I leave my PC running almost all the time and generally only reboot to apply monthly security updates. I can sometimes get it to work by spending hours in Device Manager uninstalling/reinstalling drivers or disabling/re-enabling USB controllers and rebooting, but it's inconsistent at best. For example, the last time I fixed the problem, I only had to delete the device via "Show Hidden" devices while the card reader wasn't connected, plugged it in, used the Windows default smart card drivers, and it worked fine. I wrote down the steps I took and repeated them today after a reboot, and it's once again not reading the smart card.

I used to have a similar problem with my Logitech hardware where after a firmware update on the headset, it wouldn't work properly unless moved to a different USB port. I feel like something just isn't working properly between the OS, USB, and Card Reader. I've spent a LOT of time Googling this, but most results end up being tied to hardware failure, user error, or something that isn't applicable to me. Having to re-do all the driver installs/deletes, device deletes, and especially disabling/re-enabling the USB controllers is just driving me a little crazy, as I have 13-14 different USB Serial Hubs that I'd have to restart each time.

Random troubleshooting info: * I am 100% certain the USB ports are physically fine. Every other USB device I have doesn't have this problem. * I've tested on just about every port on the PC (case USBs and mobo USBs), with USB hubs, and USB ports using USB 2 and USB3. All the same outcome. * I have two different card readers (same model), and they both behave the same way. I can use both on two other laptops I have without any problems. One of the laptops is on the same Win10 (20H2) build and version without this problem. * Same problems regardless if I use native Windows drivers or manufacturer provider drivers. I've used older versions of manufacturer drivers as well. * I've updated my BIOS and AMD Chipset drivers. Issue behaves the same before/after those updates. * My smart card is fine, since I can use it on both readers on the 4-5 devices I've tested. * I am using Win10 Pro 20H2 19042.804.

submitted by /u/cowmu
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/cowmu, Feb 12, 2021
  2. Jay#222 Win User

Windows update - smart card reader problems

Hi MarkoMarković

I'll try to help you on this issue.

Have you tried to uninstall / reinstall all the drivers related to your USB Reader ?

You can do so in the "device manager"

Search for your smart card reader in the list, then select "uninstall"

Reboot the computer, then plug again (or reinstall the software related) your card reader.

I'll wait for your news

Regards

Jay#222, Feb 12, 2021
  3. USB ports and memory card reader stopped working

My usb ports and memory card reader stopped working...they were fine yesterday.

Anyone have a suggestion?

Johnny andre, Feb 12, 2021
  4. USB Smart Card Reader Stops Working After Reboot - Not Hardware Related

USB ports and memory card reader stopped working

นทีเรืองปะคำ, Feb 12, 2021
Thema:

USB Smart Card Reader Stops Working After Reboot - Not Hardware Related

1. USB Smart Card Reader Stops Working After Reboot - Not Hardware Related - Similar Threads - USB Smart Card

2. Realtek usb smart card reader drive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Realtek usb smart card reader drive: drive for realtek usb smart card reader https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/realtek-usb-smart-card-reader-drive/de6d84c3-2463-4aa5-99ff-23803e79bec1
  3. Realtek usb smart card reader drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Realtek usb smart card reader drive: drive for realtek usb smart card reader https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/realtek-usb-smart-card-reader-drive/de6d84c3-2463-4aa5-99ff-23803e79bec1
  4. USB and card reader stopped working

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    USB and card reader stopped working: Both USB ports and card reader stopped working after an update. They do not show up anywhere. I've tried uninstalling USB devices and then restarting. No change. Multiple beeps on startup as when something is connected or disconnected from one of them, but nothing...
  5. PIV Smart Card Reader

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    PIV Smart Card Reader: Hi All, I am running Windows 10 Pro 64bit 1909 and 2004. I am tasked with trying to figure out how to a PIV Reader on my physical PC and then VPN\remote into another network PC , and have that PIV Card reader be functional on the remote session. I have gone into remote...
  6. Smart Card Reader problem after update 1909

Smart Card Reader problem after update 1909: Hello, I recently updated to 1909 18363.657. After the update my USB Smart Card reader doesn't work. I have 2 different brands of reader and both don't work. Both worked prior to the update. I don't have problems with other USB devices. I have the latest driver from...
  7. smart card reader is not working on lenovo t440

smart card reader is not working on lenovo t440: I use a gemalto smart card usb token, wich was used for secure signing of official documents on my laptop until the last major win10 update in august. (1903) After that the gemalto card stopped working... The problem is, that a win10 service for smartcard-s starts and...
  8. Virtual Machine is not reading Smart Card reader and Smart card after Windows update.

Virtual Machine is not reading Smart Card reader and Smart card after Windows update.: Environment: WIN10 v1607 ENT N 2016 2016 / Virtual Machine - (Physical desktops with updates operate correctly) Since installing latest updates, all VM's will not read the certificates. However both objects "SCR35xx Smart Card Reader" and "Smart Card" -ARE- shown in device...
  9. USB ports and memory card reader stopped working

USB ports and memory card reader stopped working: My usb ports and memory card reader stopped working...they were fine yesterday. Anyone have a suggestion? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/usb-ports-and-memory-card-reader-stopped-working/3bda3bbd-9d73-4387-8807-a44968f02136
  10. USB ports and memory card reader stopped working

USB ports and memory card reader stopped working: My usb ports and memory card reader stopped working...they were fine yesterday. Anyone have a suggestion? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-hardware/usb-ports-and-memory-card-reader-stopped-working/3bda3bbd-9d73-4387-8807-a44968f02136