Windows 10: usb ssd

Discus and support usb ssd in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I have an ssd that is connected via usb and adapter cable. It has been formatted, and has a drive letter. It shows up in disk manager just fine but... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by sailor44, May 30, 2020.

1. sailor44 Win User

usb ssd

I have an ssd that is connected via usb and adapter cable. It has been formatted, and has a drive letter. It shows up in disk manager just fine but does not appear in the file manager at all.

:)

sailor44, May 30, 2020

2. SSD stops and freezes laptop

Couple of updates:

1. I created a Linux boot USB key, and monitored my SSD under Linux, so this is evidently not a Windows issue, and
    2. I loaded new firmware for the SSD, and my system seems to be functioning normally now. What a pleasure using a PC that doesn't consistently freeze up.

Thanks to all y'all for your suggestions!

Regards,

Dave

DavidMiller36415, May 30, 2020
  3. Maria Fab Win User
    New SSD with Recovery USB not recovering Windows 10

Hello,

The issue you're experiencing will require advanced troubleshooting steps so we suggest that you post your query on our
    TechNet forums for better assistance.

Regards.

Maria Fab, May 30, 2020
  4. Josh_922 Win User

usb ssd

Win10 clean install on Samsung SSD 850 EVO

BLUF: SSD is not listed ubder "Where do you want to install Windows?"

Steps Complete:

1. I've create a Win10 bootable install usb.

2. I connect the new Samsung SSD 850 EVO via SATA.

3. I reboot PC and verify SSD is seen by the motherboard/BIOS

4. Begin Win10 install via usb.

5. Get to "Where do you want to install Windows?" and the SSD is not listed

Problems:

1. Samsung does not offer a driver for the 850 on their website

2. Cannot locate driver elsewhere

Unsuccessful Mitigations Steps Attempt:

A. Format & partition SSD via Windows Disk Management, then retried steps 1-5 above....same result

B. Clone existing HHD onto SSD via "Image for Windows" by TeraByte, then verified SSD contents via Windows Explorer....similar result

Can you please offer some advice on locating a driver for a Samsung SSD 850 EVO 1TB drive? Or an alternative method?

Thank you

Josh_922, May 30, 2020
Thema:

usb ssd

1. usb ssd - Similar Threads - usb ssd

2. Can I download the Media Creation Tool onto an external-SSD rather than an "USB...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can I download the Media Creation Tool onto an external-SSD rather than an "USB...: I have a Samsung T7 external-SSD I'd like to download the Media Creation Tool for Windows 11 onto in order to then Clean-Install the OS onto my PC. I don't have a "USB Memory-Stick" USB Flash-Drive on me right now. This external-SSD is empty and formatted to NTFS, and is...
  3. Can I download the Media Creation Tool onto an external-SSD rather than an "USB...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Can I download the Media Creation Tool onto an external-SSD rather than an "USB...: I have a Samsung T7 external-SSD I'd like to download the Media Creation Tool for Windows 11 onto in order to then Clean-Install the OS onto my PC. I don't have a "USB Memory-Stick" USB Flash-Drive on me right now. This external-SSD is empty and formatted to NTFS, and is...
  4. External USB-SSD drive not accessible

in Windows 10 Gaming
    External USB-SSD drive not accessible: Hi,I have an SSD disk 2.5" size. I have been using it as an external harddrive for a while. There are important data on it.I have not been using it for a while, After latest access to that SSD I have reinstalled my OS to my computer, I am not sure if this is related to my...
  5. External USB-SSD drive not accessible

External USB-SSD drive not accessible: Hi,I have an SSD disk 2.5" size. I have been using it as an external harddrive for a while. There are important data on it.I have not been using it for a while, After latest access to that SSD I have reinstalled my OS to my computer, I am not sure if this is related to my...
  6. I am installing a new ssd in my laptop. I downloaded windows installation to a usb drive....

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I am installing a new ssd in my laptop. I downloaded windows installation to a usb drive....: Is it all prompts after this? I'm putting my external ssd in my computer. Do i need to format it first? Thanks.Josh https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/i-am-installing-a-new-ssd-in-my-laptop-i/c833e465-2645-4e27-a8f1-96c4ab7513fe
  7. I am installing a new ssd in my laptop. I downloaded windows installation to a usb drive....

I am installing a new ssd in my laptop. I downloaded windows installation to a usb drive....: Is it all prompts after this? I'm putting my external ssd in my computer. Do i need to format it first? Thanks.Josh https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/i-am-installing-a-new-ssd-in-my-laptop-i/c833e465-2645-4e27-a8f1-96c4ab7513fe
  8. Connected external SSD to Laptop through USB adapter and now the main internal harddrive...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Connected external SSD to Laptop through USB adapter and now the main internal harddrive...: So I wanted to use a different Boot device with my laptop than the internal without opening it up, so I connect my SSD to my SATA to USB adapter, turned it on, switched to USB boot on the Boot manager by pressing f12 repeatedly and it Worked!! But when I wanted to use the...
  9. Connected external SSD to Laptop through USB adapter and now the main internal harddrive...

Connected external SSD to Laptop through USB adapter and now the main internal harddrive...: So I wanted to use a different Boot device with my laptop than the internal without opening it up, so I connect my SSD to my SATA to USB adapter, turned it on, switched to USB boot on the Boot manager by pressing f12 repeatedly and it Worked!! But when I wanted to use the...
  10. How can I re-initialize a USB SSD drive that has no media?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How can I re-initialize a USB SSD drive that has no media?: I have this device: ASMT 2235 USB, a crucial SATA 2.5 in SSD, 2 GB capacity.According to Disk Management, there is no media and the partition style is MBR. It has a capacity of 0MB, unallocated space 0 MB, Reserved space 0 MB. The driver version is 10.0.22000832 with a date...