Windows 10: USB stick appropriate format for Windows

Discus and support USB stick appropriate format for Windows in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; Greetings everyone. I couldn't find a better community to ask my question. I have two USB sticks (8 & 32 GB) and I forgot which format they came in... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/SXNXW, Jan 13, 2021.

1. /u/SXNXW Win User

USB stick appropriate format for Windows

Greetings everyone. I couldn't find a better community to ask my question.

I have two USB sticks (8 & 32 GB) and I forgot which format they came in when I purchased them. Recently I used both to get a Windows installation using the Media Creation Tool. Now I want to format them for daily use on my Windows machine and maybe add BitLocker encryption.

Which format should I go with? FAT32 OR NTFS?

(The Windows format window suggests FAT32 is the default format)

Thank you in advance for your support!

submitted by /u/SXNXW
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/SXNXW, Jan 13, 2021
  2. thraxed Win User

Installing windows off of a USB stick

Step By Step from vista:
    From admin cmd prompt

1. diskpart
    1a. list disk
    2. select disk 1 (replace 1 with your usb drive)
    3. clean
    4. create partition primary
    5. select partition 1 (replace 1 with your usb drive)
    6. active
    7. format fs=fat32
    8. assign
    9. exit

Copy Windows Vista's DVD ROM content to the Flash Drive

xcopy d:\*.* /s/e/f e:\ (d being your vista cd and e being your usb stick)

And that's it, boot off your usb disk

thraxed, Jan 13, 2021
  3. lewy90725 Win User
    Chkdsk shows errors after formatting the usb stick

In order to reproduce the problem, I am doing the following steps:

• I put a text file with a single line of text on the usb file.
    • I plug in a USB stick to a PC and in the explorer window I go to the usb stick drive.
    • I double-click on the text file and open it in notepad.
    • I close the notepad.
    • I the explorer I go to the one level up and I click the right button on the USB drive and choose the properties->format.
    • I formatted the disk with default proposed parameters (FAT32).

The disk is empty after formatting. At the command line prompt window, I type the chkdsk and the letter of the USB drive and I am receiving information that errors have been found (Convert lost chains to files (y/n)?).

I checked it with various usb sticks and different systems (Windows 7, 8, 10) and I got the same results.

***Post moved by the moderator to the appropriate forum category.***

lewy90725, Jan 13, 2021
  4. DaveM121 Win User

Formatting a USB Stick

Hi Richard, yes formatting the stick will delete the files . . .

Try that USB Stick in another (preferably non Windows 10) PC and see if the Stick reads.

If it does, copy the files form the stick, format it and copy the files back onto the stick.

DaveM121, Jan 13, 2021
Thema:

1. USB stick appropriate format for Windows - Similar Threads - USB stick appropriate

2. Cant format 2TB USB stick on windows 10

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Cant format 2TB USB stick on windows 10: Hi all, I have a 256 GB micro SD card which used to work of sorts.....in that it would only load so much data then stop and say there is a problem. I re formatted it but now isnt even recognised by windows 10 which shows the sd drive in explorer but says please put a disk in...
  3. Cant format 2TB USB stick on windows 10

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Cant format 2TB USB stick on windows 10: Hi all, I have a 256 GB micro SD card which used to work of sorts.....in that it would only load so much data then stop and say there is a problem. I re formatted it but now isnt even recognised by windows 10 which shows the sd drive in explorer but says please put a disk in...
  4. Cant format 2TB USB stick on windows 10

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  5. USB stick with 20H2 version formatted as NTFS and exFAT not bootable

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    USB stick with 20H2 version formatted as NTFS and exFAT not bootable: Hello Redditors! I downloaded the ISO file for Win10 from the Microsoft website (https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/software-download/windows10ISO). The only available version for downloading is 20H2 - October update. The total of all files is somewhere around 6.2GB, which...
  6. What to format larger USB sticks with? NTFS? exFAT?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    What to format larger USB sticks with? NTFS? exFAT?: I bought a few 32GB sticks the other day. They came formatted with FAT32. Immediately I had trouble copying the Win10 20H2 ISO to it (greater than 4GB). Formatting to NTFS solved it of course. But I'm curious if, for use as a general USB stick (plugging it into Windows,...
  7. Re-formatting a USB Stick to FAT32

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Re-formatting a USB Stick to FAT32: I need to re-format a USB device in FAT32, my only choice in WINDOWS 10 is NTFS, can you guide me please? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/re-formatting-a-usb-stick-to-fat32/50561bf2-bf57-4d52-9b9f-2e31133c8748
  8. Disable format prompt for encrypted usb stick

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Disable format prompt for encrypted usb stick: Hey, I have an encrypted usb drive, that whenever I plug it in, my windows will prompt me to format. Is there any way to stop windows from asking me to format the drive, WITHOUT removing the drive letter? Because the problem with removing the drive letter, is that if you...
  9. Disable format prompt for encrypted usb stick

in Windows 10 Support
    Disable format prompt for encrypted usb stick: Hey, I have an encrypted usb drive, that whenever I plug it in, my windows will prompt me to format. Is there any way to stop windows from asking me to format the drive, WITHOUT removing the drive letter? Because the problem with removing the drive letter, is that if you...
  10. Formatting USB stick/usb hdd issues

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Formatting USB stick/usb hdd issues: [img] help how do i fix this problem. it's been a real problem for the past 3 weeks. 112838