Windows 10: USB stick in use.

Discus and support USB stick in use. in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Have a problem I can't fix for a while now. Whenever I try to format it, make boot disk etc. I get a message that it's in use (by something) no idea... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by CountMike, Sep 8, 2018.

1. CountMike Win User

USB stick in use.

Have a problem I can't fix for a while now. Whenever I try to format it, make boot disk etc. I get a message that it's in use (by something) no idea what. It can be empty, not formatted, formatted etc. but same thing happens. Otherwise they work fine, I can write to them, delete or do whatever else except format.
    In safe mode works fine.

:)

CountMike, Sep 8, 2018
  2. thraxed Win User

Installing windows off of a USB stick

Step By Step from vista:
    From admin cmd prompt

1. diskpart
    1a. list disk
    2. select disk 1 (replace 1 with your usb drive)
    3. clean
    4. create partition primary
    5. select partition 1 (replace 1 with your usb drive)
    6. active
    7. format fs=fat32
    8. assign
    9. exit

Copy Windows Vista's DVD ROM content to the Flash Drive

xcopy d:\*.* /s/e/f e:\ (d being your vista cd and e being your usb stick)

And that's it, boot off your usb disk

thraxed, Sep 8, 2018
  3. Cannot get Win10 to recognize a 128g usb memory stick.

Hello Brad,

To assist you with your concern, please answer the following:

• Which device are you using?
    • Are you receiving any error message when you're trying to connect your USB Memory Stick?
    • Have you tried any troubleshooting steps?

Looking forward to your response.

Michael Rey, Sep 8, 2018
  4. Lazzer408 Win User

USB stick in use.

USB boot for bios update

Did the first step. It already doesn't work. Note the capacities and drive letters M:/N: The HP utility is about to format my raid-1 volume containing my 2 750gb drives. It thinks it's the usb stick. I can not select any other drives in the HP utility. My 512mb usb stick is U:.

Any other suggestions?

USB stick in use. nonono-jpg.jpg

Lazzer408, Sep 8, 2018
Thema:

USB stick in use.

1. USB stick in use. - Similar Threads - USB stick

2. delete photos on usb memory stick

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    delete photos on usb memory stick: sorry how do I delete photos on memory stick. How do I put all photos on laptop onto memory stick. Silver surfer. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/delete-photos-on-usb-memory-stick/0e1bef74-a8f5-4267-ab90-c24f2151cd76
  3. USB stick previously used as a boot stick for Killdisk not recognized

USB stick previously used as a boot stick for Killdisk not recognized: I created a USB bootable USB stick for use with Killdisk to erase my failed netbook. I now what to be able to use this USB stick for other things. My Windows 10 PC does not recognize it as being plugged in within file explorer. Attached is a picture of the screen from disk...
  4. My files in USB stick got corrupted

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    My files in USB stick got corrupted: While browsing files on my USB stick (where I worked all my projects off here), I noticed that some files were corrupted, like the ones made from March 1, 2019 to March 15, 2019. The reason is likely because I didn't safely eject the USB stick. I moved the files that are...
  5. Can't boot from USB stick

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Can't boot from USB stick: I have Windows 10 currently installed on my PC. I want to go back to Windows 7, and I have a USB stick with the Windows 7 setup files. When my computer is starting up, I press esc to open the bios menu, then select boot device, then I select the USB with the Windows 7 setup...
  6. Unable to use a USB memory stick as a network drive through a Linksys

Unable to use a USB memory stick as a network drive through a Linksys: Unable to use a USB memory stick as a network drive through a Linksys router. I use a EA 7500 Linksys router with a windows 10 32-bit computer. Until today, I was able to use a USB memory stick connected to the router as a network drive. However, when I tried swtching USB...
  7. Unable to use a USB memory stick as a network drive through a Linksys router.

Unable to use a USB memory stick as a network drive through a Linksys router.: Unable to use a USB memory stick as a network drive through a Linksys router. I use a EA 7500 Linksys router with a windows 10 32-bit computer. Until today, I was able to use a USB memory stick connected to the router as a network drive. However, when I tried swtching USB...
  8. USB Flash stick / portable hard drvies , is it only a myth?

USB Flash stick / portable hard drvies , is it only a myth?: For years, from time to time, I have been hearing some people telling me that "If you don't "safely eject" the USB stick or portable hard drives" and you only unplug them, your drive will fail more easily in the future..........i.e. shorter lifespan....which would "hurt"...
  9. Harddrive crashed, can't find W10 USB stick

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Harddrive crashed, can't find W10 USB stick: My drive crashed and I can't find the USB stick or packaging. I still have the amazon order though. What are my options here? I really dont want to spend another $100 on something I already had....
  10. How do I reformat an USB stick to hold larger files than 4 G?

How do I reformat an USB stick to hold larger files than 4 G?: How do I reformat an USB stick to hold larger files than 4 G? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-do-i-reformat-an-usb-stick-to-hold-larger/b4b75cb2-9f4d-4e16-a426-4a4bdefc632b"