Windows 10: USB stick in use.

Discus and support USB stick in use. in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Have a problem I can't fix for a while now. Whenever I try to format it, make boot disk etc. I get a message that it's in use (by something) no idea... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by CountMike, Sep 8, 2018.

1. CountMike Win User

USB stick in use.

Have a problem I can't fix for a while now. Whenever I try to format it, make boot disk etc. I get a message that it's in use (by something) no idea what. It can be empty, not formatted, formatted etc. but same thing happens. Otherwise they work fine, I can write to them, delete or do whatever else except format.
    In safe mode works fine.

:)

CountMike, Sep 8, 2018
  2. thraxed Win User

Installing windows off of a USB stick

Step By Step from vista:
    From admin cmd prompt

1. diskpart
    1a. list disk
    2. select disk 1 (replace 1 with your usb drive)
    3. clean
    4. create partition primary
    5. select partition 1 (replace 1 with your usb drive)
    6. active
    7. format fs=fat32
    8. assign
    9. exit

Copy Windows Vista's DVD ROM content to the Flash Drive

xcopy d:\*.* /s/e/f e:\ (d being your vista cd and e being your usb stick)

And that's it, boot off your usb disk

thraxed, Sep 8, 2018
  3. Michael Rey Win User
    Cannot get Win10 to recognize a 128g usb memory stick.

Hello Brad,

To assist you with your concern, please answer the following:

• Which device are you using?
    • Are you receiving any error message when you're trying to connect your USB Memory Stick?
    • Have you tried any troubleshooting steps?

Looking forward to your response.

Michael Rey, Sep 8, 2018
  4. Lazzer408 Win User

USB stick in use.

USB boot for bios update

Did the first step. It already doesn't work. Note the capacities and drive letters M:/N: The HP utility is about to format my raid-1 volume containing my 2 750gb drives. It thinks it's the usb stick. I can not select any other drives in the HP utility. My 512mb usb stick is U:.

Any other suggestions?

USB stick in use. nonono-jpg.jpg

Lazzer408, Sep 8, 2018
Thema:

USB stick in use.

1. USB stick in use. - Similar Threads - USB stick

2. USB stick in use.

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    USB stick in use.: Have a problem I can't fix for a while now. Whenever I try to format it, make boot disk etc. I get a message that it's in use (by something) no idea what. It can be empty, not formatted, formatted etc. but same thing happens. Otherwise they work fine, I can write to them,...
  3. Problem with a 64gb USB Verbatim flash stick

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Problem with a 64gb USB Verbatim flash stick: This evening I wanted to transfer a 11gb video from an external hard drive to a 64gb USB flash stick (sometimes called a thumb drive or pen drive), but I noticed there seemed to be an 'extra drive' showing on 'This PC'....drive (H). I think (but am not sure) this is a result...
  4. Problem with a 64gb USB Verbatim flash stick

in Windows 10 Support
    Problem with a 64gb USB Verbatim flash stick: This evening I wanted to transfer a 11gb video from an external hard drive to a 64gb USB flash stick (sometimes called a thumb drive or pen drive), but I noticed there seemed to be an 'extra drive' showing on 'This PC'....drive (H). I think (but am not sure) this is a result...
  5. Cloning to USB memory stick

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Cloning to USB memory stick: Partition Wizard is bootable from usb and allows the cloning of hard drives. Can I clone a ssd to USB memory stick and clone the USB back to the hard drive as a precaution against ssd failure? 117190
  6. Cloning to USB memory stick

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Cloning to USB memory stick: Partition Wizard is bootable from usb and allows the cloning of hard drives. Can I clone a ssd to USB memory stick and clone the USB back to the hard drive as a precaution against ssd failure? 117190
  7. Win10 repair install with a MBR USB stick while C: is GPT (UEFI)

Win10 repair install with a MBR USB stick while C: is GPT (UEFI): My C: is GPT, running fully in UEFI mode, I believe. This is Intel NUC6i5SYK. I'm trying to do a repair install. So I tried making the Win10 bootable USB with Rufus (and Windows USB Download Tool). Only making it in MBR it boots. If GPT, it doesn't boot. 1) If I repair...
  8. Fully reinstall windows from a usb stick

Fully reinstall windows from a usb stick: I have been having problems with windows, so support has told me to reinstall windows externally from a usb stick. How do I do that? I am also stuck as to how I completely uninstall it aswell. Any help is greatly appreciated...
  9. USB stick of Windows 10 stuck in endless loop.

USB stick of Windows 10 stuck in endless loop.: Hi, I have a pc sitting in my room that I can't use. I tried to install Windows 10 and it went only so far and then began to do an endless loop over and over again. Sorry, can't tell you where it is stuck at. It never finished the job. And the culprit was a bad usb stick of...
  10. Icon for ejecting usb stick

in Windows 10 Customization
    Icon for ejecting usb stick: The icon has disappeared that I use to eject a usb safely. How do I get it back? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-start-win_taskbar/icon-for-ejecting-usb-stick/5f83f60a-7497-4029-883c-4c843ef7ec54