Windows 10: USB stick in use.

Discus and support USB stick in use. in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Have a problem I can't fix for a while now. Whenever I try to format it, make boot disk etc. I get a message that it's in use (by something) no idea... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by CountMike, Sep 8, 2018.

1. CountMike Win User

USB stick in use.

Have a problem I can't fix for a while now. Whenever I try to format it, make boot disk etc. I get a message that it's in use (by something) no idea what. It can be empty, not formatted, formatted etc. but same thing happens. Otherwise they work fine, I can write to them, delete or do whatever else except format.
    In safe mode works fine.

:)

CountMike, Sep 8, 2018
  2. thraxed Win User

Installing windows off of a USB stick

Step By Step from vista:
    From admin cmd prompt

1. diskpart
    1a. list disk
    2. select disk 1 (replace 1 with your usb drive)
    3. clean
    4. create partition primary
    5. select partition 1 (replace 1 with your usb drive)
    6. active
    7. format fs=fat32
    8. assign
    9. exit

Copy Windows Vista's DVD ROM content to the Flash Drive

xcopy d:\*.* /s/e/f e:\ (d being your vista cd and e being your usb stick)

And that's it, boot off your usb disk

thraxed, Sep 8, 2018
  3. Michael Rey Win User
    Cannot get Win10 to recognize a 128g usb memory stick.

Hello Brad,

To assist you with your concern, please answer the following:

• Which device are you using?
    • Are you receiving any error message when you're trying to connect your USB Memory Stick?
    • Have you tried any troubleshooting steps?

Looking forward to your response.

Michael Rey, Sep 8, 2018
  4. Lazzer408 Win User

USB stick in use.

USB boot for bios update

Did the first step. It already doesn't work. Note the capacities and drive letters M:/N: The HP utility is about to format my raid-1 volume containing my 2 750gb drives. It thinks it's the usb stick. I can not select any other drives in the HP utility. My 512mb usb stick is U:.

Any other suggestions?

USB stick in use. nonono-jpg.jpg

Lazzer408, Sep 8, 2018
Thema:

USB stick in use.

1. USB stick in use. - Similar Threads - USB stick

2. using a windows usb flash drive installation as a normal usb stick

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    using a windows usb flash drive installation as a normal usb stick: after running the media creation tool on an empty usb flash drive can i copy additional files onto it? i would like to transfer some files using the space that is left empty from the old system i ran the media creation tool on to my new one will the installation still work...
  3. Windows 10 Recovery Drive: Do I need to use a dedicated USB stick?

Windows 10 Recovery Drive: Do I need to use a dedicated USB stick?: Maybe a stupid question, and maybe already asked and answered somewhere in the 17 pages of threads on this topic Earlier this year, I used the Windows Media Creation Tool (to allow for an OS reinstall in case Reset didn't work). The documentation for WMCT stated that a...
  4. Inserted USB stick on Suspend; burned out USB

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Inserted USB stick on Suspend; burned out USB: I had a perfectly fine laptop in front of me. It fell asleep while I was doing something. Without thinking I inserted a usb stick and turned it back on. Touchpad gone. USB port gone. The USB ports on the other side of the unit are working. One is 3.0, one is 2.0. I tried...
  5. Installing Windows 10 Pro from USB Stick version 1803 problem

Installing Windows 10 Pro from USB Stick version 1803 problem: Greeting people, I followed the instructions in this one, option 1: Create Bootable USB Flash Drive to Install Windows 10 | Windows 10 Tutorials I have tried 6 times, everytime only the Windows 10 home got installed not Windows 10 Pro. As of 11/03/2018, the only available...
  6. How to add WINPE boot entry to UEFI USB Windows installation stick?

How to add WINPE boot entry to UEFI USB Windows installation stick?: Howdy all. I have several usb sticks I have made with grub4dos that fills my use, but I miss UEFI options. After what I understand UEFI boot installation stick only boots windows images. I can successfully rename source folders from installation file s to source folder with...
  7. How to add WINPE boot entry to UEFI USB Windows installation stick?

in Windows 10 Support
    How to add WINPE boot entry to UEFI USB Windows installation stick?: Howdy all. I have several usb sticks I have made with grub4dos that fills my use, but I miss UEFI options. After what I understand UEFI boot installation stick only boots windows images. I can successfully rename source folders from installation file s to source folder with...
  8. USB Stick not usable after Windows Creation Tool failed to create bootable WIN 10 USB

USB Stick not usable after Windows Creation Tool failed to create bootable WIN 10 USB: Hello everyone!, Today I got my new SSD and in order to set everything up properly, I bought a brand new Intenso 16gb USB-Stick (which was write- and readable). I downloaded the Microsoft Media Creation Tool, selected my USB stick and started the process. Just when it...
  9. how do i download windows 10 on to my alienware mx 11 by a usb stick

how do i download windows 10 on to my alienware mx 11 by a usb stick: how do i download windows 10 on to my alienware mx 11 by a usb stick https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-do-i-download-windows-10-on-to-my-alienware-mx/45725dad-51fa-4ed2-9ccc-6721f4380fbb
  10. PC (W7) Won't recognize Any USB Memory Stick. Thoughts On ?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    PC (W7) Won't recognize Any USB Memory Stick. Thoughts On ?: Hi Folks, Son not in area, so hard for me to help him out with this, but thought I'd ask here for any suggestions. He has an older Dell desktop pc running W7. Seems to work fine. But- Plugging in USB Memory sticks into any slot on the case does not work. Not recognized by...