Windows 10: USB stick previously used as a boot stick for Killdisk not recognized

Discus and support USB stick previously used as a boot stick for Killdisk not recognized in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I created a USB bootable USB stick for use with Killdisk to erase my failed netbook. I now what to be able to use this USB stick for other things. My... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by Alicia J, Mar 31, 2019.

1. Alicia J Win User

USB stick previously used as a boot stick for Killdisk not recognized

I created a USB bootable USB stick for use with Killdisk to erase my failed netbook. I now what to be able to use this USB stick for other things.

My Windows 10 PC does not recognize it as being plugged in within file explorer. Attached is a picture of the screen from disk management.

How do I fix this? Or is my USB stick now useless?
    USB stick previously used as a boot stick for Killdisk not recognized [​IMG]

:)

Alicia J, Mar 31, 2019
  2. cscroggs3 Win User

USB Memory Stick not recognized by Windows 10

Windows 10 will not recognize my USB memory stick (PNY 64gb) at all. The stick worked fine under windows 8.1, (! USB Device Not Recognized The last usb device you connected to this computer). My Kingston 8gb DataTraveler USB memory stick works fine with
    Windows 10 and Windows 8.1.

***Post moved by the moderator to the appropriate forum category.***

cscroggs3, Mar 31, 2019
  3. Ruz San Win User
    USB sticks not recognized...sometimes...Help?

Hi,

To better understand why this happens, please answer the following questions:

• Did this start to happen after installing updates on your computer?
    • Does the USB stick work when you plug it to another device?
    • Do you get any errors when you connect the USB stick to your computer?
    Let's try to run the troubleshooter available on this
    page
    while your USB stick is connected to the computer. It will tell you if it detects anything and automatically correct it.

Let us know if you have questions.

Keep us posted.

Ruz San, Mar 31, 2019
  4. thraxed Win User

Installing windows off of a USB stick

Step By Step from vista:
    From admin cmd prompt

1. diskpart
    1a. list disk
    2. select disk 1 (replace 1 with your usb drive)
    3. clean
    4. create partition primary
    5. select partition 1 (replace 1 with your usb drive)
    6. active
    7. format fs=fat32
    8. assign
    9. exit

Copy Windows Vista's DVD ROM content to the Flash Drive

xcopy d:\*.* /s/e/f e:\ (d being your vista cd and e being your usb stick)

And that's it, boot off your usb disk

thraxed, Mar 31, 2019
Thema:

1. USB stick previously used as a boot stick for Killdisk not recognized - Similar Threads - USB stick previously

2. Can't use USB stick

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Can't use USB stick: Hello,I have a problem with USB stick.When I click on its drive letter in Windows Explorer, I am told to insert a disk into USB drive. I can't format it. Disk management says that it is online. What should I do?The problem happens on two computers, with slightly different...
  3. Can't use USB stick

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Can't use USB stick: Hello,I have a problem with USB stick.When I click on its drive letter in Windows Explorer, I am told to insert a disk into USB drive. I can't format it. Disk management says that it is online. What should I do?The problem happens on two computers, with slightly different...
  4. Making a USB Boot Stick

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Making a USB Boot Stick: I keep getting Error 0x8004255A-oxA001B. Three times, on different USB sticks. Please Advise https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/making-a-usb-boot-stick/ddd8a4e8-1408-4446-bb1e-b5837d145275
  5. Fritz Wlan Usb Stick is not recognized?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Fritz Wlan Usb Stick is not recognized?: Hey, guys, I reset my PC a few hours ago so that everything is zero. Now with the same WLAN stick, which hasn't caused any problems before, I suddenly have no internet anymore. I installed and uninstalled all drivers and upgraded them, checked fritz.box for errors, tried...
  6. usb stick for boot issue

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    usb stick for boot issue: Hi, I want to build an usb stick for boot, to install Windows 10 Pro on an Acer 515-55 laptop. I purchased an electronic license, so I have to build my own stick. Bios needs FAT32 format stick, and ISO file provided by Microsoft on download is like 5 GB [it has...
  7. USB stick in use.

USB stick in use.: Have a problem I can't fix for a while now. Whenever I try to format it, make boot disk etc. I get a message that it's in use (by something) no idea what. It can be empty, not formatted, formatted etc. but same thing happens. Otherwise they work fine, I can write to them,...
  8. USB stick in use.

in Windows 10 Support
    USB stick in use.: Have a problem I can't fix for a while now. Whenever I try to format it, make boot disk etc. I get a message that it's in use (by something) no idea what. It can be empty, not formatted, formatted etc. but same thing happens. Otherwise they work fine, I can write to them,...
  9. USB Stick is not recognized

USB Stick is not recognized: I have a 16GB USB stick. It had the ISO file of Windows 10 Anniversary Update. Today I "Wiped" it using MiniTool Parttion Wizard. Subsequently it was "Formatted" using the same tool. Now I have Windows 10 Creators Update in my Laptop. However, Window Explorer does not...
  10. boot from USB stick?

in Windows 10 Support
    boot from USB stick?: Hi All, I just purchased a new windows 10, which came as a USB Flash stick and Im curious if I can use it as an emergency boot USB? in case computer wont boot normally? Thnx! 21792