Windows 10: USB Stick wrongfully identifies as a “CD Drive”

Discus and support USB Stick wrongfully identifies as a “CD Drive” in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Our Alienware Windows 10 laptop has a quirk. Any USB stick PnP identifies as a CD Drive , not a USB Drive. Mostly this works fine, but some software... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by Frank Mayhood, Jun 18, 2021.

1. USB Stick wrongfully identifies as a “CD Drive”

Our Alienware Windows 10 laptop has a quirk. Any USB stick PnP identifies as a CD Drive , not a USB Drive. Mostly this works fine, but some software cannot locate a removable drive and fails. How can I change this behaviour?

:)

Frank Mayhood, Jun 18, 2021
  2. thraxed Win User

Installing windows off of a USB stick

Step By Step from vista:
    From admin cmd prompt

1. diskpart
    1a. list disk
    2. select disk 1 (replace 1 with your usb drive)
    3. clean
    4. create partition primary
    5. select partition 1 (replace 1 with your usb drive)
    6. active
    7. format fs=fat32
    8. assign
    9. exit

Copy Windows Vista's DVD ROM content to the Flash Drive

xcopy d:\*.* /s/e/f e:\ (d being your vista cd and e being your usb stick)

And that's it, boot off your usb disk

thraxed, Jun 18, 2021
  3. Bree Win User
    clean possibly infected flash drives and CD-RWs

Your steps in post #1 should work for 99% of viruses that may be on a usb flash drive. However, there are a very few viruses that can infect the MBR of a drive. I would use Diskpart from a command prompt (Admin) to clean them. In the command prompt type DISKPART then, at the Diskpart prompt use the commands:

LIST DISKnote the disk number of the usb and use it in place of # in the command:SELECT DISK #
    CLEAN
    CREATE PARTITION PRIMARY

After this you will have cleaned the partition table from the usb and created a partition using the whole of the the available space. You can then format this partition in File Explorer.

For a CD-RW, if you right-click on it in File Explorer there is an Erase option.

4. newtekie1 Win User

USB Stick wrongfully identifies as a “CD Drive”

CD drive error

1) Close all open programs
    2) Click on Start, Run, and type REGEDIT and press Enter
    3) Click on the plus signs (+) next to the following folders

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE
    SYSTEM
    CurrentControlSet
    Control
    Class
    {4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}
    4) This folder is the DVD/CD-ROM Drive Class Description in the registry. Look for any of the following names in the right hand column.

UpperFilters
    LowerFilters
    UpperFilters.bak
    LowerFilters.bak
    5) If any of the above keys shown in step 4 are listed, right-click on them and choose Delete
    6) After deleting the keys, close the Registry Editor
    7) Reboot your computer
    8) Open My Computer and check to see if your CD or DVD drives have returned. You may also want to open Device Manager and verify that the yellow exclamation and error code on the CD or DVD drive is gone.

And it likely has something to do with the emulated drive you have listed there.

newtekie1, Jun 18, 2021
Thema:

USB Stick wrongfully identifies as a “CD Drive”

1. USB Stick wrongfully identifies as a “CD Drive” - Similar Threads - USB Stick wrongfully

2. Wrongly identified Hardware

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Wrongly identified Hardware: High everybodyI face a strange situation.I've been given a printer ricoh sp112. It's a simple laser printer.When I plug it in my laptop win11, its seen as a sp110 su. this one is from the same family, but with a scanner.So driver installation according Ricoh we site and...
  3. Wrongly identified Hardware

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Wrongly identified Hardware: High everybodyI face a strange situation.I've been given a printer ricoh sp112. It's a simple laser printer.When I plug it in my laptop win11, its seen as a sp110 su. this one is from the same family, but with a scanner.So driver installation according Ricoh we site and...
  4. reconnect USB stick as a network drive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    reconnect USB stick as a network drive: Hi,a USB stick on my FritzBox7582 shall be connected automatically as a network drive after starting Win10. When I connect it manually it works. But it is tedious to do this every time manually.In the forum I found several tips but none of them worked.I tried:1 use different...
  5. creating bootable cd/usb drive.

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    creating bootable cd/usb drive.: How do you create a bootable cd/USB drive in windows 10 or can I? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/creating-bootable-cdusb-drive/9d71be61-a696-496a-9b75-d5cd792e0208
  6. Transferring from an Audio CD to a USB memory stick

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Transferring from an Audio CD to a USB memory stick: How do you copy an audio CD to a USB memory stick? I have got as far as ripping the tracks on Windows Media Player, just cannot work out how to transfer them to the memory stick....
  7. Identify Existing USB Thumb Drive's Format

Identify Existing USB Thumb Drive's Format: Hi: I have a ScanDisk 32-GB thumb drive that functions in my 2013 Honda Accord for playing MP3 files. I want to determine which type of file system, FAT or NTFS, is used for that particular flash thumb drive. I also have other, new, 32GB ScanDisk thumb drives, which say...
  8. Burn CD Windows 10 like a USB stick or with a CD/DVD player?

Burn CD Windows 10 like a USB stick or with a CD/DVD player?: Hello, for my bachelor thesis I have to burn the attachments on a CD. Since I haven't used or burned CDs for a long time, I was a bit surprised when I got a message under Windows 10 telling me which variant I want to use for the burning process. You have the choice of...
  9. Wrong PC Identifier for Bitlocker Drive Encryption

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Wrong PC Identifier for Bitlocker Drive Encryption: When setting up the Bitlocker Drive Encryption BitLocker Drive Encryption recovery key information shows the PC identifier which is different from my PC - how can I correct this. I want to set up the Bitlocker but am concerned that it has this weird identifier for my pc and I...
  10. usb stick

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    usb stick: When using the media creation tool and when you get to the part where you can choose 'create USB stick' or 'ISO file> (Rufus not shown)', is it the same either way or is one better than the other? I used the ISO file and then Rufus to create the bootable stick to install Win...