Windows 10: USB Sticks showing up as blank icons on Explorer

Discus and support USB Sticks showing up as blank icons on Explorer in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; [ATTACH] submitted by /u/Gollorium [link] [comments]... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/Gollorium, Dec 6, 2019.

1. USB Sticks showing up as blank icons on Explorer

/u/Gollorium, Dec 6, 2019
  2. Chryonn Win User

USB stick shows no items

hi all, i have a 32GB USB memory stick that shows up fine in XP. however when i transfer anything over 2Gb, it shows no items listed as if there's nothing there. but looking at its properties (the pie-chart) it shows there's free space and used space.
    does anyone have this problem or know of any utilities that would allow me to view the used space?

Chryonn, Dec 6, 2019
  3. lewy90725 Win User
    Chkdsk shows errors after formatting the usb stick

In order to reproduce the problem, I am doing the following steps:

• I put a text file with a single line of text on the usb file.
    • I plug in a USB stick to a PC and in the explorer window I go to the usb stick drive.
    • I double-click on the text file and open it in notepad.
    • I close the notepad.
    • I the explorer I go to the one level up and I click the right button on the USB drive and choose the properties->format.
    • I formatted the disk with default proposed parameters (FAT32).

The disk is empty after formatting. At the command line prompt window, I type the chkdsk and the letter of the USB drive and I am receiving information that errors have been found (Convert lost chains to files (y/n)?).

I checked it with various usb sticks and different systems (Windows 7, 8, 10) and I got the same results.

***Post moved by the moderator to the appropriate forum category.***

lewy90725, Dec 6, 2019
  4. spysmily1 Win User

USB Sticks showing up as blank icons on Explorer

Icon for cmd.exe blank in File Explorer

The icon for cmd.exe is a blank file as in the image.

USB Sticks showing up as blank icons on Explorer [​IMG]

You can see the icon is correct in the properties window.

USB Sticks showing up as blank icons on Explorer [​IMG]

This is a recent clean install of windows about a week ago. Not sure when they changed but I do remember having the icon correct after the initial install. I've followed the instructions to rebuild icon cache for Windows 10 at http://www.howtogeek.com/232779/how-...in-windows-10/. It did not work.

Any suggestions would be great.

spysmily1, Dec 6, 2019
Thema:

USB Sticks showing up as blank icons on Explorer

1. USB Sticks showing up as blank icons on Explorer - Similar Threads - USB Sticks showing

2. USB not showing up in file explorer.

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    USB not showing up in file explorer.: This problem has been going on for a while, a 1 TB usb drive that I own suddenly had a problem where it wouldn't appear on my file explorer and I couldn't open it.Yes I already tried uninstalling and reinstalling, it didn't work. What do I do?...
  3. App icons not showing up and showing as a blank doc

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    App icons not showing up and showing as a blank doc: [ATTACH] submitted by /u/Icej270 [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/v0obdx/app_icons_not_showing_up_and_showing_as_a_blank/
  4. USB stick crashes explorer

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    USB stick crashes explorer: So, my USB stick isn't working. When I plug it in it starts blinking as it should and it shows up in the explorer. But if I want to access it the explorer just crashes. This also happens with other services like disk management, explorer++ and even stuff like "chkdsk" and...
  5. USB stick crashes explorer

in Windows 10 Gaming
    USB stick crashes explorer: So, my USB stick isn't working. When I plug it in it starts blinking as it should and it shows up in the explorer. But if I want to access it the explorer just crashes. This also happens with other services like disk management, explorer++ and even stuff like "chkdsk" and...
  6. USB stick not showing

USB stick not showing: I unplugged my USB as normal and it now doesnt show on the documents. It shows in disk management but not anywhere else. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/usb-stick-not-showing/f9e68365-a15d-4fe7-b5e8-9aebfdf3941b
  7. USB stick does not show up at all

USB stick does not show up at all: System Specs: Windows 10 home 64bit AMD 2600X ASUS B450-F 16GB 2x8gb 3200Mhz DDR4 ram Nvida EVGA 550 ti C Drive: Samsung 970 pro 500gb Now this is a really odd issue that im coming across. I know for a fact that all my USB ports are functional due to testing other...
  8. Icons for certain programs showing up blank

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Icons for certain programs showing up blank: I have 2 programs whose icons suddenly stopped showing. It's both on old shortcuts, new shortcuts and the .exe file in itself as well, so even though I change the shortcut icon, the main icon still stays blank. The 2 programs are CEMU (Wii U emulator) and Assassin's Creed...
  9. Desktop shortcut icons showing up as blank document icons?

in Windows 10 Support
    Desktop shortcut icons showing up as blank document icons?: Hi! I just got a new laptop the other day, and for some reason all of my app shortcut icons have changed to a plain white document icon. See below: [img] Why did this happen and more importantly, how do I fix it? For convenience and aesthetic purposes. iTunes is the only...
  10. Icon for ejecting usb stick

in Windows 10 Customization
    Icon for ejecting usb stick: The icon has disappeared that I use to eject a usb safely. How do I get it back? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-start-win_taskbar/icon-for-ejecting-usb-stick/5f83f60a-7497-4029-883c-4c843ef7ec54