Windows 10: USB storage drives

Discus and support USB storage drives in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Hi, All of a sudden when I plug in an external HDD or a thumb drive, it does not register either on USB 2 or 3. They are all sizes ranging from 16GB... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Graham Laughlan, Dec 4, 2018.

1. USB storage drives

Hi,

All of a sudden when I plug in an external HDD or a thumb drive, it does not register either on USB 2 or 3. They are all sizes ranging from 16GB to 2TB.

Can anybody help please?

:)

Graham Laughlan, Dec 4, 2018
  2. Lazzer408 Win User

help. USB drive isn't assigned a drive letter.

Any usb flash drive I plug into my computer isn't assigned a drive letter. The physical drive shows in the "safely remove hardware" but it doesnt show up in disk management. I have tried to populate the volume thru the safely remove hardware properties window and it does pop up in the list but it doesn't stay there. This isn't a format or assign a letter problem. It's more complicated then that. Maybe one of the services needed for usb drive management was disabled? Suggestions needed. btw external usb harddrives work fine.

Lazzer408, Dec 4, 2018
  3. Arun B J Win User
    Windows 10 Home will not boot or restart with USB Storage Spaces pool drives attached

Hi George,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community.

I understand your concern and will assist you to resolve this issue.

• Did you make any changes in BIOS?

• Are you getting any error message?
    I suggest you to update Storage controller drivers and check if it helps.

Steps 1:

• Press Windows key + X.

• Select Device manager.

• Expand Storage controller.

• Right click on the driver and Update the drivers.

Steps 2: Windows 10 has a built-in troubleshooter to check and fix issues with hardware and devices. I would suggest you to run this troubleshooter to check if the issue
    is with device. Refer these steps:

• Press Windows key +X, select Control panel.

• Change the view by option on the top right to Large icons.

• Click on troubleshooting and click on the view all option on the left panel.

• Run the Hardware and devices troubleshooter.

Hope this helps. If the issue remains unresolved, please get back to us and we would be happy to help

Arun B J, Dec 4, 2018
  4. Ma. Lau Win User

USB storage drives

how to change "USB attached SCSI mass storage device" to "USB mass storage device"

Hi,

We would like to know the additional information to better assist you with USB mass storage concern. Kindly answer the following questions below:

• Do yo have an updated Windows 10 on your computer?
    • What are the troubleshooting steps you've done so far after your media player stopped recognizing the portable drive?
    • Do you have the updated USB driver on the current operating system that you are using?
    We are looking forward to your response.

Regards.

Ma. Lau, Dec 4, 2018
Thema:

USB storage drives

1. USB storage drives - Similar Threads - USB storage drives

2. USB storage drive safe ejecting problem

in Windows 10 Gaming
    USB storage drive safe ejecting problem: Last week a small error in Win11 were really annoying me:This problem have been exist for decades, i can't really remember since which version of Windows , perhaps XP or 2000.perhaps since the USB storage has begun to become popular, whenever users want to safely remove their...
  3. USB storage drive safe ejecting problem

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    USB storage drive safe ejecting problem: Last week a small error in Win11 were really annoying me:This problem have been exist for decades, i can't really remember since which version of Windows , perhaps XP or 2000.perhaps since the USB storage has begun to become popular, whenever users want to safely remove their...
  4. External USB Storage drive not detected in WIn10

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    External USB Storage drive not detected in WIn10: Good Day, I have 3 drives installed using Win10 and now want to connect external USB drive but drive is not detected in File Explorer, when I do plug External drive on Laptop it works fine What do I need to enable in Win to detect a 4 drive as C, D and E are all in Use...
  5. External USB Storage drive not detected in WIn10

External USB Storage drive not detected in WIn10: Good Day, I have 3 drives installed using Win10 and now want to connect external USB drive but drive is not detected in File Explorer, when I do plug External drive on Laptop it works fine What do I need to enable in Win to detect a 4 drive as C, D and E are all in Use...
  6. External USB Storage drive not detected in WIn10

in Windows 10 Gaming
  7. USB Storage

in Windows 10 Gaming
    USB Storage: It suddenly stopped yesterday. USB storage doesn't pop up in file manager, no matter how many times I format it. I even used diskpart. In diskpart, it's always labeled "unusable", even when I fully reinstalled windows from the media creation tool. When I plug them in, it's...
  8. USB Storage

USB Storage: It suddenly stopped yesterday. USB storage doesn't pop up in file manager, no matter how many times I format it. I even used diskpart. In diskpart, it's always labeled "unusable", even when I fully reinstalled windows from the media creation tool. When I plug them in, it's...
  9. USB Flash Drive Files and Local Storage

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    USB Flash Drive Files and Local Storage: I have a question. If I open a text file .txt on a USB drive, does a copy of that file get stored on my local computer Drive C? If so, what is the storage path?...
  10. USB Mass Storage Issues with Thumb Drives

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    USB Mass Storage Issues with Thumb Drives: I'm having issues with a USB drive. I've tried several different thumb drives in every USB port on my desktop. When inserting the drive, Windows makes the noise recognizing it's been inserted. The drive does not show up in explorer. I went to Device Manager and it/they...