Windows 10: USB Thumb Drive did not mount upon insertion

Discus and support USB Thumb Drive did not mount upon insertion in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; UP until now, no problem inserting and removing the drive. Then, plugged it in and it did not mount. Other drives failed to mount in same port, but all... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by Bertilak, Jul 29, 2019.

1. Bertilak Win User

USB Thumb Drive did not mount upon insertion

UP until now, no problem inserting and removing the drive. Then, plugged it in and it did not mount. Other drives failed to mount in same port, but all worked fine in a different port. After a reboot it worked again.

Two questions:

1. What would cause that?
    2. Is there something I could have done less drastic than a reboot?

:)

Bertilak, Jul 29, 2019

2. PNY USB Drive won't mount ANY other brand will

A customer that I support recently bought a new Dell Laptop, Latitude, with Win 10/64 1803 currently installed. All drivers per Dell's Support sight and Windows are the most current.

This computer will not mount any drive from PNY whether 2.0 or 3.0 BUT will mount any other brand thumb drive 2.0 or 3.0 that I could locate and try. I tried 4 different PNY USB 2.0 & 3.0 drives and none would mount when plugged directly into the laptop.
    I updated Bios, chipset, drivers, any and all USB related drivers but nothing resolved the issue. Reformatted both a 2.0 and 3.0 PNY NTFS and FAT32, this did not resolve the problem.

Beyond the interesting fact that any other brand USB thumb drive I could find (Corsair and Sandisk) would mount. What's more interesting is that the PNY drives would mount on the laptop if it was connected to a dock and the thumb drive plugged into the dock
    NOT the laptop. ???

Is Microsoft and/or Dell fighting with PNY??

Any suggestions to attempt to resolve? Anything I missed trying?

MATT AT UGA, Jul 29, 2019
  3. Location to access USB for opening a inserted thumb drive

See steps how to open and access the contents of your thumb drive:

USB Thumb Drive did not mount upon insertion cbed0d27-e01f-49ff-8822-11474d7101e0?upload=true.png

Andre for Directly, Jul 29, 2019
  4. CJCerny Win User

Computer freezing/rebooting when inserting USB devices

That sounds more like an electrical problem. The lockup occurs regardless of which USB port you insert the thumb drive into?

CJCerny, Jul 29, 2019
Thema:

1. USB Thumb Drive did not mount upon insertion - Similar Threads - USB Thumb Drive

2. Usb Thumb Drive

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Usb Thumb Drive: Earlier today my thumb drive was working fine but now when I plug it in to view it it only shows up in files for a few seconds then disappears. In devices it says that it is connected but won't let me view files. I also tried it on a chrome book but would not work. Any ways...
  3. Usb Thumb Drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Usb Thumb Drive: Earlier today my thumb drive was working fine but now when I plug it in to view it it only shows up in files for a few seconds then disappears. In devices it says that it is connected but won't let me view files. I also tried it on a chrome book but would not work. Any ways...
  4. Usb Thumb Drive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. USB external drives not mounting

in Windows 10 Gaming
    USB external drives not mounting: In the last couple of weeks my USB external drives have stopped mounting when I plug them in. The notification sound when a USB device is plugged in sounds, the activity lights on the drives power on and I can hear them spin up as normal, but the drives themselves do not...
  6. USB external drives not mounting

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    USB external drives not mounting: In the last couple of weeks my USB external drives have stopped mounting when I plug them in. The notification sound when a USB device is plugged in sounds, the activity lights on the drives power on and I can hear them spin up as normal, but the drives themselves do not...
  7. USB Flash Drives not mounting.

USB Flash Drives not mounting.: USB Flash Drives are being assigned drive letters but not mounting and can't be seen in Windows File Explorer. Here is log for the drive.Log Name: Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-PnP/ConfigurationSource: Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-PnP Date: 8/10/2021 11:33:56 AM Event ID: 442 Task...
  8. USB thumb drives

USB thumb drives: Sorry not really a w10 issue but how much actual data should I expect to get from a 32g drive? I just bought one and it is only 28.6 should I return it? I contacted Sandisk and this is what they said; Thank you for contacting SanDisk® Global Customer Support. I understand...
  9. Windows 10: USB storage drives flash drives or thumb drives only recognized if inserted...

Windows 10: USB storage drives flash drives or thumb drives only recognized if inserted...: Issue: any storage devices that are not powered external hard drives, thumb drives, etc aren't recognized by Windows 10 unless I do a restart with them inserted. After that, they appear to work, but I'd prefer not restarting every time I need to open a drive. Some things I've...
  10. backup to usb thumb drives?

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    backup to usb thumb drives?: Is it possible to do backups to thumbdrives? If so, is it possible to do those backups with common backup apps such as macrim and/or AOMEI? If so what are the pros and cons? Windows 10 Pro 64 bit CPU: i7-4770k @350GHz Ram: 16GB Graphics: Radeon 580 8GB vram Winver 1903...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. thumb drive reads only when i push down on itafter inserting

2. find software to open thumb drives on insertion