Windows 10: usb thumb drive ejection problem.

Discus and support usb thumb drive ejection problem. in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Just two or three days ago I started having a problem when I try to eject a Sandisk 32GB usb thumb and get the nasty li'l "device is currently in use"... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Pan Demic, May 29, 2020.

1. Pan Demic Win User

usb thumb drive ejection problem.

Just two or three days ago I started having a problem when I try to eject a Sandisk 32GB usb thumb and get the nasty li'l "device is currently in use" window. I've been using this thumb for over a year now with no problems. I haven't made any changes to the computer or to the usb drive to coincide with the onset of this issue. I typically have ejected it by clicking on it in the notification tray, when this problem arose I tried ejecting it through Windows Explorer by right-clicking on the drive in the explorer window, but now the context menu that pops up doesn't even have the eject option - which it did previously. Right now I'm turning the computer off to remove the thumb drive. Any info or assistance is appreciated.

:)

Pan Demic, May 29, 2020

2. ejecting a usb drive in 10

Hi Walden,

I realize the inconvenience you are experiencing with accessing Safely Remove and Eject Media USB icon on the taskbar.

To assist you better, please provide us the below information:

• When you say that "not I can not get it to show up in bottom right lower", are you referring that you are not able to see the Eject USB icon under the show hidden icons?

I suggest you to follow the steps below to understand the system

1. Click on Search bar.

2. Then type "Select which icons appear on the taskbar" without the quotes in the search bar and click on it.

3. Turn on Safely Remove Hardware and Eject Media icon.

Reply to us with the information, so that we can assist you better.

Please get back to us with an update on issue, we will be happy to help.

Thank you.

Nyima Yonten, May 29, 2020
  3. Windows 10 won't eject USB thumb drive

Here is a curious behaviour. I have Kaspersky anti-virus installed on this machine. When I plug in a thumb drive, Kaspersky offers to scan it but then hangs up when I give it the go-ahead. Right clicking on the thumb drive in explorer (is that what they call it these days?) and requesting a Kaspersky virus scan runs fine. This is super suspicious. I did try uninstall the greyed out hidden devices as suggested by Ztrucker but I am still getting the weird "eject" thing happening. Right click context menu, and eject does not eject the drive, it still appears in the "safely remove hardwire" icon on the toolbar...

Reinstall windows or do we think this is fixable?

selwynpolit, May 29, 2020
  4. billcz Win User

Have to safely eject thumb drive exactly twice every time

This amounts to an annoyance only, but I thought I'd ask in case someone has a solution.
    I find I always have to eject my thumb drive exactly twice.

• This happens on at least two laptops:
      • A Toshiba Satellite with Windows 10 Home 10586.545
      • An Asus X555LA also on the same build of Windows
    • Most often I'm using a Cruzer SanDisk drive.
    • This is when I use “Safely Remove Hardware and Eject Media” from the task bar.
    • It always takes exactly two tries. First time get a pop up window “Problem Ejecting USB Mass Storage Device” “Windows is unable to stop the device…” Second time works fine. Even when I do it immediately after the first.
    • This happens when all docs involving the thumb drive and the apps that used them are all closed.
    • It happens if I plug in the drive, don't do anything, then try to eject.
    • Waiting before ejecting doesn’t seem to matter.
    • In Task Manager I verified no associated apps running then tried it. Don’t know if there are pertinent background apps.
    • If I right click on the drive in the File Explorer tree and select eject it works the first time.
    • Another thumb drive, Attache 1GB, behaves the same way.
    • Another thumb drive, Kingston 2 GB, behaves the same way.
    • I think this happened on at least one of my computers before the Windows 10 upgrade, but I don’t remember the details.
    • For the SanDisk at least, select in File Explorer, right click, Properties, Hardware tab, Properties, Change Settings, Policies: Quick Removal is selected.

Does anyone have a fix? Thanks.

billcz, May 29, 2020
Thema:

1. usb thumb drive ejection problem. - Similar Threads - usb thumb drive

2. Problem with ejecting an usb drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Problem with ejecting an usb drive: Good evening, I had a problem where when I was safely ejecting my USB drive, it showed me that the drive was in use and I had to close all the programs which are there in the drive running. No programs were running from the drive. I also tried to look in Task Manager but I...
  3. Problem with ejecting an usb drive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Problem with ejecting an usb drive: Good evening, I had a problem where when I was safely ejecting my USB drive, it showed me that the drive was in use and I had to close all the programs which are there in the drive running. No programs were running from the drive. I also tried to look in Task Manager but I...
  4. Problem with ejecting an usb drive

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  5. eject thumb drive

eject thumb drive: Windows 10A thumb drive is plugged in, Explorer is opened, one file is opened, then closed.Explorer is closed.Go to "Show hidden icons" and select Safely remove hardware and eject media -> Eject USB Flash MemoryThe only device shown is the thumb drive just plugged in. Select...
  6. eject thumb drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    eject thumb drive: Windows 10A thumb drive is plugged in, Explorer is opened, one file is opened, then closed.Explorer is closed.Go to "Show hidden icons" and select Safely remove hardware and eject media -> Eject USB Flash MemoryThe only device shown is the thumb drive just plugged in. Select...
  7. eject thumb drive

8. Usb Thumb Drive

Usb Thumb Drive: Earlier today my thumb drive was working fine but now when I plug it in to view it it only shows up in files for a few seconds then disappears. In devices it says that it is connected but won't let me view files. I also tried it on a chrome book but would not work. Any ways...
  9. BSOD while trying to Eject a USB Thumb Drive

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    BSOD while trying to Eject a USB Thumb Drive: I was trying to remove a USB Thumb Drive, and that's when it crashed. Also, when it booted back up after the crash, it said there was a problem with my antivirus. My antivirus is working though. If this crash pertains to a driver, please note that I installed the latest...
  10. Windows 10 won't eject USB thumb drive

Windows 10 won't eject USB thumb drive: I'm struggling with a peculiar little problem. My old faithful windows 10 computer will never eject the USB thumb drive. It doesn't ever show any errors. Its quite puzzling. I have several usb devices currently working including a 4TB usb hard drive, usb keyboard and mouse...