Windows 10: USB thumb flash drives are "write protected"

Discus and support USB thumb flash drives are "write protected" in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Bought 4 PNY 16GB USB thumb drives and every time I try to format them, the computer kicks back that they are write protected. Have tried ALL the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by kc4raf, Jul 9, 2016.

1. kc4raf Win User

USB thumb flash drives are "write protected"

Bought 4 PNY 16GB USB thumb drives and every time I try to format them, the computer kicks back that they are write protected. Have tried ALL the solutions listed and explained in the 10 forums here, and nothing works to disable the write protection on my machine. Tried diskpart, Command Prompt, and Computer Configuration and nothing resolves my problem. BTW, there's no switch on these USB drives.
    Anybody know of a fix?
    My machine is Dell Optiplex 960 w/6 Gb memory.
    Thanks for reading my post and possibly helping me,
    73s

:)

kc4raf, Jul 9, 2016

2. Can I use a Micro SD card to store a system image or repair disk for my Surface Pro 4?

More confusion. I find I can write a "recovery drive" to a USB thumb drive. But I cannot write a "recovery disc" to a USB thumb drive. What's the difference? I'm a fairly sophisticated user, and I'm confused. And why can't I write a disk image to
    a USB drive. Or is there some other term for that that I haven't come across?

jaygourley, Jul 9, 2016
  3. fix usb write protected

What type of USB thumb drive is it?

What is the size?

Usually write protected USB thumb drives might have a latch that switches from write protected.

Or its possible the drive might have somehow become damaged. This has happened to me a few times with new thumb drives.

Andre Da Costa, Jul 9, 2016
  4. Brink
    Brink New Member

Brink, Jul 9, 2016
  5. kc4raf Win User
    Unfortunately when I tried those options earlier on, none solved the problem of disabling the write protection on those USB flash drives. Tomorrow I'll give it another try. BTW, when I placed those same drives into my Windows 7 machine, it would allow me to format and copy folders to the drives. But when inserting those drives into the Windows 10, it won't allow me to copy anything to those drives. It's weird and has me climbing the walls, (except for now; I'm getting ready to watch a movie and relax, lol).
    Also, thanks sir for placing my post in the right forum; I failed to use my brain.lol
    And thanks again for replying to my post.

edit: btw, my machine is Dell Optiplex 960 with Win. 10 Pro 64

kc4raf, Jul 10, 2016
  6. Kbird Win User
    Kbird, Jul 10, 2016
  7. Brink
    Brink New Member
    kc4raf,

Is the USB formatted using FAT32 or NTFS?

If NTFS, then see if formatting it with FAT32 on your Windows 7 computer may allow you to have access on any computer you connect it to afterwards. Be sure to back up what's on the USB first though.

Brink, Jul 10, 2016
  8. kc4raf Win User

After trying the possible solutions in posts 2, 4 and 5; still write protected USB sticks. If I ever come up with the solution to my dilemma, I will come back to "tenforums" to post the results. I am sure there will be others who will run across this problem and or the fix. Until then, thanks to you all for the help. Great site here for those who have Windows 10.
    73s and thanks again.

kc4raf, Jul 10, 2016
  9. Kbird Win User
    If they all do it I would contact PNY and look into an RMA.......

I have only had this once and Patriot emailed me a low level formatting tool not available on the Net to fix it, I thought Ufix was the same type of LLF Tool.

Kbird, Jul 10, 2016
  10. CountMike New Member
    Write protection is usually indication of bad or dead USB.

CountMike, Jul 10, 2016
  11. kc4raf Win User
    About an hour ago they replied and gave me a link to download a new firmware for the offending USBs. They had a "batch" that went through their quality control with "write-protection" enabled. Did as they requested and now all is right with my machine.
    Here's the link for the firmware should anybody need it. Comes with instructions to boot:

USB Firmware Update (16GB Retract USB Model Only)

The offending USB sticks are:
    PNY 16 GB flash drive 2 pack. Wal-Mart and other stores.
    P-FD16GX2RTC-GE

Thanks to you guys for helping me out, many thanks
    Have a great day and
    73s
    Roger

kc4raf, Jul 10, 2016
  12. Brink
    Brink New Member
    That's great news Roger. *Party

Brink, Jul 10, 2016
  13. kc4raf Win User

the USB flash drives, folders that needed to be placed in archival (on the USBs); I am here to say what a relief it is to have Windows 10 and workable media drives!!! lol
    I thank you Brink, Kbird, and CountMike for posting in order to help me with that dilemma. All I can say is "tenforums" is a really great site and great members as well. Thanks guys and have a great evening,
    73s, Roger

kc4raf, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. USB thumb flash drives are "write protected" - Similar Threads - USB thumb flash

2. USB flash drive is write protected

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    USB flash drive is write protected: So, I was installing windows xp on one old pc, and downloaded some drivers for it. In one of it was msvcp100.dll and msvcr100.dll. I decided to move all those drivers to my usb flash drive, cut - paste, but in the process I got bsod. Now USB flash drive have some errors what...
  3. Flash Drive is write protected

in Windows 10 Support
    Flash Drive is write protected: I have a brand new PNY 256gb flash drive. I started to copy files to it and I got the message that it must be formatted before using it. I tried to format it and after a few minutes, I got the following error message: The disk is write protected. I tried SFC/SCAN file and got...
  4. USB Flash drives write protected

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    USB Flash drives write protected: Recently my four USB flash drives were write protected by Windows 10 Pro. I am using a version 2004. How can I removed the write protection. I have tried the DISKPART, REGEDIT, search the net, but to no help. Can anyone help me on this please. [ATTACH] Thank you Ricky...
  5. USB flash drive write protected

USB flash drive write protected: I am trying to understand the programing of a USB Flash drive from the manufacturers. I understand the microcontrollers. I can understand PIC Erom type memory chips. I am unsure of how the program for the write protect is set from the computer into the microcontroller of the...
  6. Flash Drive is write protected.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Flash Drive is write protected.: I was copying files to my flash drive sometime ago, the transfer speed was slow, so I tried the most technical solution ever, I unplugged it then plugged it in, then Windows told me that there was a issue with this flash drive and I should click to fix it. I thought this...
  7. Write Protected USB FLASH DRIVE

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Write Protected USB FLASH DRIVE: i have usb that i create write ptotection in my other pc and that pc is broken. how can i remove the write protection on this usb? a app or procedure you know that may help me. i have try hdd low level format app/usb flash drive format app nothing happen. i try cmd command...
  8. USB Flash Drives Are Write Protected

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    USB Flash Drives Are Write Protected: Hello Everyone, This is a bout many years that I am not able to solve the "Write Protected" USB flash drive's problem however I searched a lot on google, studied many forums and tried different ways such as: editing windows registry, running diskpart commands and using some...
  9. USB Flash drive is write protected

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    USB Flash drive is write protected: Hello, When I insert my pendrive into my windows 10 PC, it says I have to format it before I use it. But when I format it, it says the pendrive is "write protected" and can't format it. How can I solve this "write protected" error, please? Thanks in advance!...
  10. USB Flash drive is write-protected

USB Flash drive is write-protected: Hello, When I insert my pendrive into my windows 10 PC, it says I have to format it before I use it. But when I format it, it says the pendrive is "write-protected" and can't format it. How can I solve this "write-protected" error, please? Thanks in advance! Tanzil ***...